Menu

Vibrating watches for disorganized students - any experience?

I have heard of vibrating watches, but I've never seen them. If you or your dc uses one, would you please share what kind it is and what you think of it? Please share how many vibrating alarms it has and if that number seems to work for you. Also, mentioning features you really like or dislike, and features you wish it had would be very helpful! Thank you!

to help my son get control of his diabetes. It was a little gadget that would beep or vibrate (there were a few choices) to remind him to check his blood sugar. The idea behind it was to give DS a reminder in an unobrusive way.

My son, being somewhat saavy about mechincal/electronic thingamajigs, quickly figured out how to change the alarms -- both the type of alarm we had set and when it went off... And then would leave it in our room so that it would go off at 4am (always set to the most annoying noise at full volume and well-hidden, of course). Once he got over his initial fascination with the gadget, he'd simply forget to keep it on him... Come to think of it, I might have actually been built in to a wristwatch. It was, afterall, meant to be someone that wouldn't draw attention to DS in, say, a classroom.

Anyway, in the end, my son being the disorganized person he was (and still is), the gadget got lost in his room and if it still beeps, buzzes or vibrates then it must be buried so deeply that finding it would be akin to finding a long lost, buried treasure.

Before buying one for your dc, I'd strongly recommend thinking about the number of ways it could be misused, and how likely they are to use it (or maybe lose it).

Just my 2 cents worth. I'm sure there are others who have had great success with such products.

Sue

Thanks! Actually, I think it would help here, as my distractible student was lamenting the need for me to give reminders to keep on track and wished for some sort of silent reminder. I do appreciate the heads-up about possible misuse of it. I'm sure those buttons can be fascinating! :)

Well my iPhone does this and I've set the kids phone to do it too.

It's great around here and very helpful.

It allows us to focus wo worry or distraction. For example were not constantly looking at the clock or a watch to check the time. We don't worry until the phone vibrates.

My son has a lot of medical issues and we use a vibrating watch that you can set to go off every so many hours so that he doesn't get too distracted to take his medicine. It can be set to vibrate only, beep only, or both.

I think it's called Vibralite or something like that. It was kind of expensive, around $85, three or four years ago. But it's totally waterproof and has been through hundreds of tae kwon do classes, ultimate Frisbee games and Lord only knows what else my son has done with it. It's still going strong.

I'm not exactly sure on the brand name, but my son isn't home right now. I'll ask him to show it to me when he gets home.

Ds is highly disorganized and forgetful. Recently, he had pneumonia (first week at college) and he was home for a couple of days so I could take care of him. He had several medications he had to take throughout the day and I was so worried that when he was back at college he would forget to take them. Well, he set his iphone to remind him. At one point, he said to me, "My iphone says I need to take my meds now." :lol: He depends on that phone to remind him to do everything. It has been a lifesaver. In the past he depended on me to remind him.

We use the timex watches with alarms and timers. For some things they set an alarm, others a timer. The alarm will go off at the same time every day. So when we are on vacation a watch will sound and someone will say "time for history" :). They use these to help them move on, expecially in subjects they might tend to go over time. Then sometimes I'll have them set a timer to do something for a set amount of time. I can usually find these on sale for 30-45. I think it is the timex expedition. They have a ladies version and maybe a kids version as well. These have been great for my organized and disorganized children.