Menu

9th grade science

Help!!!!!My 9th grade son is using BJU's Physical Science this year. It is so far over his head that he's frustrated and not enjoying it at all! The tests are killers and he's failed both of them. He does have serious memory issues. He can't remember anything...even with study! What do we do? Is there a better alternative out there that doesn't cost a fortune?

I hate to see him lose his confidence and think of himself as a failure. ( He is a little bit of a perfectionist)

Thanks,

melissa

Caveat: I have never looked at BJU's Physical Science curriculum, so take my advice with a grain of salt!

There is often a temptation in math and science to jump curricula when the going gets rough. Is the book the problem? Or should the presentation be tweaked? Does you son need more hands on experiments? Does he need help developing vocabulary lists or learning how to outline the chapters?

What is your son's science background prior to this? If something worked before, can you implement part of the methodology to help BJU work?

My hesitation in curriculum jumping is that sometimes students encounter the same issues with another text.

Any thoughts?

Jane

I thought the tests were ridiculous! My dd took them open book and STILL did not get 100%. I strongly suggest making the tests open book OR creating your own tests.

I, like Jane, suggest that you stick with the BJU. However, try changing how you are using the curriculum.

Holly

Help!!!!!My 9th grade son is using BJU's Physical Science this year. It is so far over his head that he's frustrated and not enjoying it at all! The tests are killers and he's failed both of them. He does have serious memory issues. He can't remember anything...even with study! What do we do? Is there a better alternative out there that doesn't cost a fortune?

I hate to see him lose his confidence and think of himself as a failure. ( He is a little bit of a perfectionist)

Thanks,

melissa

For our son, who has learning struggles, we are using Integrated Physics and Chemistry by Paradigm. It is helping him learn how to retain information. Apologia and ABeka were nothing but a frustration for him. He doesn't love the science curriculum from Paradigm, but he is understanding it, passing the tests, and telling me things he has learned, plus he is learning how to study. I know it is not as "advanced" as some curriculums, but it is working well for him, that's what is important to us. It has been written to meet state standards.

Here is their website:

http://www.pacworks.com/

And the curriculum at Christian Book:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=760918&item_code=WW&netp_id=428981&event=ESRCN&view=covers

HTH

Cindy

My daughter used BJU last year(in a classroom setting and Apologia this year (at home) and is loving Apologia. She said she needed a teacher to explain BJU but she can understand Apologia on her home. She is not a sciencey kid but is enjoying the year. It is a fair bit of work but the comprehension is easier so I don't know if that will help you decide at all!

My son used Rainbow Science, which is usually recommended for 7th/8th grade years if you do the labs. We used the text only for the last half of 8th grade into half of the 9th grade year. It is a nice understandable text survey of physics then chemistry then biology, then a section called Applications which covered some earth/physical science. We went from there into Science Shepherd Biology for 10th.

Hope this helps!

Kerry

www.noellethemovie.com