Menu

they're coming home!

last summer, in the midst of a pre-cancer diagnosis for me, some pretty serious surgery following and the unknowns of the outcomes, my dh enrolled our kids in public school after 10 years of homeschooling. they excelled, we moved to pa in january, they did well (though were bored) and my oldest graduated. but public school is not all that my dh remembered it was. we had already decided to homeschool the 1st grader when the 8th grader and 5th grader begged to come home again (most of their friends here are homeschooled, and there is a great co-op i'll be teaching at). our 11th grader was told by the guidance dept here that she was not "college material" and they enrolled her in a career technical center for 3/4 of her classes in a culinary cluster. after a week there, in a very unsafe environment, and realizing how much she already knew (she got a 98% on the "what do you know" entrance exam, when everyone else in her class got a 50 or below) dh decided to pull her out. that left our 10th grade son, who is now *begging* to come home again.

i'm ecstatic. he wants to take ap classes his junior/senior year, but the public school only offers 5. he's been bored, bored, bored. his 2 best friends are homeschooled, although only one is in the co-op, which is too late for him to get in this year (he could take an economics course).

the problem? before my surgery last summer i asked dh if he was sure this would be forever and he said yes. knowing our time in florida might be coming to a close, and seeing how we'd never been to disneyworld, i had a huge homeschooling yard sale and got rid of everything (but made $1,000. enough for us to go to disney for a day). those memories are great, but now i'm wishing i hadn't gotten rid of everything and i'm starting over and only want to bring the best into my home again.

so. i have everyone but the 10th grade boy taken care of. he's smart, but can tend to the lazy side. what would you bring in for him? he's done apologia in junior high and it was okay...(sold my sonlight microscope even!) after a year in public school, he's really not used to being challenged. but he does love a good challenge if he sees it's relevant.

it can be christian, or secular, we just don't have an exorbitant amount of money to spend right now (like i'd love to get him into a pahomeschoolers class, but the money isn't there right now).

thanks--yay for me!

Would a used copy of Omnibus suit your goals for your ds? You could cover 3 credits--history, theology and literature. You could get most of the books at a used book store for pretty cheap, or Amazon or homeschoolclassifieds.com

You might even have some around the house, as they are mostly GB's. You could skip some of the reading and still have all that you need.

i'm not sure what to do for math with him. he did algebra 1 in 8th grade using TT, and tested into geometry in the ps in florida, but they do block scheduling here in pennsylvania, so they made him finish algebra 1 to "be even with his class". this year, they had him scheduled to do algebra 2 first semester and geometry 2nd semester. his goal was to be able to take statistics ap, which is the only math ap class this high school offered, but can't be counted as a math credit. he's way smarter than i am in math.

that said, i'm using jacob's elem. alg. with his 8th grade sister, who is also very good in math.

karen-he's already got a biology credit, but thank you so much, i'm so touched by your generosity!

chris--i think omnibus would be great--i'll pm you

i'll check into life of fred (i know its great reputation) and the kinetic books algebra/physics. i'm not familiar with them.

We've done Apologia through high school, very affordable. For my 10th grade daughter I'm using:

Apologia Biology (the classes above this are good also, used for my son)

Chalkdust Geometry (try to get used)

BJU World History (I would look for a used 2nd edition, very affordable)

A Beka World Lit.

BJU Writing & Grammar (or you could use A Beka, dd prefers BJU)

Traditional Logic 1 (goes very well with the geometry)

Spanish (got Practice Makes Perfect workbook and Standard Deviants DVD from Amazon)

Hope this helps, best wishes.