Menu

Automaticity games anyone?

Ds is still loving his RR lessons. The real kicker for him is recognizing and automatically knowing the sound. He knows all of the sounds but every time he sees a letter in a word there has to be a split second think before he has it. We have a work book that we are using where he says the sounds or numbers of each line on the little test each day. It doesn't seem to be enough and frankly if we do it too much in a day it gets very boring. We have flash cards too but I can't think of any good fun things to do so we can keep up the practice. He asked me today why he can memorize anything in a picture or that he sees on tv but he has to think for numbers and letters. All I could think to say was that is just the way his brain is wired at the moment.

I have at least realized how much this is effecting his reading but I need some new coping things for him to do. Any ideas?

Not games, but fluency readings. At whatever level he reads, even if it is Bob books, fluency readings are the key to automaticity. He needs to asquire automaticity not just for sounds, but common words.

Repeated oral readings are what research has shown to be the most effective means of developing that kind of automaticity in readers. If you google Put Reading First, you'll find an excellent online publication describing this component of reading instruction. I would also google, "repeated oral readings." It takes minutes a day and is effective.

You can make kinda a game out of this with sentences. He reads it to himself, then out loud, then you ask him a silly question which, to answer, he has to re-read the sentence emphasizing a particular word. Some of my tutoring students have loved this; others have not. YMMV. Eg.

Sentence: Dad had a bat and a hat.

Q: I thought MOM had a bat and hat.

Son: No! DAD had a bat and a hat.

Q: I thought Dad had a GLOVE and a hat.

Son: No! Dad had a BAT and a hat.

Q: I thought he had a bat and mittens.

Son: No! Dad had a bat and a HAT.

The sillier you can be, the more they tend to like it.

Just make sure that the child continues to READ the sentence, not try to say it from memory. (you can tell!)