Menu

Reporting to county when not finished with school

Guest kacifl

Where are you and what do you need to report? In many states, all you need is a test and it doesn't matter whether you are done or not. Even if you have someone look at a portfolio, don't talk about not being done. Just show what you did. Often that is more than enough.

I agree. I've been behind at that time of the year before and my dd had done so much work already it didn't even matter. Her portfolio is just a sample of her school work anyway. It's not meant to be everything. She still passed with flying colors and I submitted my evaluation results to the school board. Never had a problem. :)

Kaci,

If you are in Florida, the standard that you must show is that the student is progressing "commensurate with his/her ability." There is no magical year's worth of curriculum that you must turn in. You can either have a teacher administer a standardized test and turn in the results, or have the teacher review a portfolio of the work that has been done in the last 12 months and determine whether your dc are progressing commensurate with their ability.

Lisa

Does Fl. require test for home schooled high school students? Thanks, K

No, Florida does not require a test. There are 3 ways to submit the annual evaluation and testing is one option. You should be able to contact your FPEA area rep for a list of teachers that work with homeschoolers in the annual evalation -- whether you choose to test or do the portfolio. http://www.fpea.org (or is it .com?)

And re: Ellie's comment -- Florida likewise does not require testing for graduation . Your're the school; you decide what your student needs to graduate from high school. Florida only monitors the annual evaluation.

HTH,

Lisa

The only pain (IMO) w/the FL law is that the "nationally normed test" is supposed to be proctored by a licensed teacher (The law doesn't specify FL cert., but most counties assume so.) We usually have the evaluation done just because I don't like to give the co. any more info than they need. I've had friends who's dc were sick on the test day so didn't test well. The co. put them on probation that year due to their scores being lower in comparison to the prior year's.

Kaci,

If you are in Florida, the standard that you must show is that the student is progressing "commensurate with his/her ability." There is no magical year's worth of curriculum that you must turn in. You can either have a teacher administer a standardized test and turn in the results, or have the teacher review a portfolio of the work that has been done in the last 12 months and determine whether your dc are progressing commensurate with their ability.

Lisa

:iagree:

No, Florida does not require a test. There are 3 ways to submit the annual evaluation and testing is one option. You should be able to contact your FPEA area rep for a list of teachers that work with homeschoolers in the annual evalation -- whether you choose to test or do the portfolio. http://www.fpea.org (or is it .com?)

And re: Ellie's comment -- Florida likewise does not require testing for graduation . Your're the school; you decide what your student needs to graduate from high school. Florida only monitors the annual evaluation.

HTH,

Lisa

:iagree: again and it's http://www.fpea.com

The only pain (IMO) w/the FL law is that the "nationally normed test" is supposed to be proctored by a licensed teacher (The law doesn't specify FL cert., but most counties assume so.) We usually have the evaluation done just because I don't like to give the co. any more info than they need. I've had friends who's dc were sick on the test day so didn't test well. The co. put them on probation that year due to their scores being lower in comparison to the prior year's.

Do you mean you usually have the portfolio evaluation rather than the testing? Even when I do the testing, the evaluator just sends in a paper saying that my child is making progress commensurate with his age/ability. The first evaluator I had wanted to send in the results to "show how well hs'ers are doing", but I absolutely refused because the county doesn't need to know any more. Furthermore, if I went to a different evaluator every year, they would have no knowledge of previous year's tests.

um... I'm not in Florida...

I've always just sent them in whatever it was they were "looking for"; eg: if they wanted something that said we'd completed 180 days, and 180 days equalled 7th grade, well, I guess we were done with 7th grade.

We get it all done... eventually.

a

Do you mean you usually have the portfolio evaluation rather than the testing?

Yes, I usually do portfolio. Legally you can just send the test results w/a copy of proctor's teaching certificate. The above mentioned friend did that yearly.

I agree with you--only tell them the minimum that they need to know. :D