Menu

Secular curriculum packages?

MomtoCandJ

There are threads discussing each of the programs already listed.

In addition, although I don't have a direct link to information, I have read more than once that there is a secular version of the Alpha-Omega [Christian] homeschool program. A special needs school in Austin, Texas was using it.

Several of the public universities have programs for homeschoolers. Texas Tech, for example. These, of course, are secular programs.

We have tried to Moving Beyond the Page and Calvert.

Calvert is okay, we found it a little dry and boring. It uses textbooks and reading anthologies. It's very much "school at home," but it is accredited (as is Oak Meadow, which I've looked at but not used) if that is important to you.

Moving Beyond the Page is a project-based, unit-study curriculum that's based on public school scope & sequence. We have been using the 5-7 level since January and it has been engaging and fits well with our main curricula (I chose to use it as a supplement this year, I'm trying to decide if I want to use the next level as our main curriculum next year or not), but I wish the topics/concepts didn't jump around so much. (For example, the main themes for the ~K-1st grade level (ages 5-7 package) are Environment, Similarities & Differences, Patterns and Change. Within the major concepts are smaller 2-3 week units. For example, Environment includes Habitats and Homes, Weather and Community. I like how the units fit into the theme, and the program demonstrates the interconnectedness of the ideas well. My only concern is that it doesn't approach history chronologically, so if I do choose to use it next year, we will still likely do SOTW alongside.

Total packages are always going to be expensive.

Five in a Row (ages 4-8) for science, social studies, art and language arts. You might want to cut out a couple of titles, but you will have more than enough to do for Pre-K & K. They have a nice nature study supplement, too.

Miquon math - if you have a fairly mathy child, she could do the orange and red books as a kindergartener

Math-U-See Primer

Right Start Math level A

Funtastic Frogs (math)

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, Sid the Science Kid videos (Ariel loves these), books from the library for science

Unit studies are good at that age. Currclick has quite a few you can download and print at reasonable prices. (Some are free!)

You can get just the workbooks for Handwriting Without Tears or Zaner-Bloser and be fine.

You could also look into Accelerated Achievement. I'm not sure it's entirely secular, but it's only ~$100 for K-12th grades, as long as you print out everything or are comfortable reading off the computer.

Edited by Aurelia