Menu

Cystic acne treatment? Tea Tree oil? others?

I don't think accutane would be a good choice for ds' cystic acne, because I am a "depression-survivor" and he is currently under treatment for that.

He's tried doxycycline, and a cream made of benzoyl perox and erythromyacin. He's got CA pretty severely on his shoulders.

Any ideas? This is the big leagues, not little blackheads and "zits."

Guest Virginia Dawn

My 16yo ds has had the same problem. He got terrific results by stopping the use of soap. He washes only with warm water and uses witch hazel to wipe down his skin after washing. He also soaked in a tub with epsom salts everyday till he got better enough to take a shower without ripping off scabs. Now he soaks only a couple of times a week.

His back had been a horrible mess, but was clear within a month. He still gets one cyst now and then but nothing like it was. I wish we had stopped using the soap earlier, he's very scarred now.

He has also cut way back on cheese, will only drink milk that says no hormones, and will only eat Breyers (all natural) ice cream. We've also found that snack foods with soy oil really aggravate the acne on his face. This has made him much more aware of the need to eat healthily.

HTH