Menu

Experienced moms, WWYD? Re. dd7 - "2nd grader" and her reading (long)

MamaSheep

I am already in regrouping mode with this one for the year and could use some suggestions. I'll just note up front that money is a little tight.

Here's the situation. Because the ps here is supposedly good, and because ds has been such a handful to manage, dd started school at the ps. She did K there, and last year she did 1st grade. We were not happy with her progress, especially in reading, even though her teacher (it was teacher's first class ever) said she tested at grade level on everything. She was also becoming increasingly distracted at school and not finishing her work due to an inability to focus well in that setting. She seemed to have made up her mind that she "can't" do school, and set herself to entertaining her classmates instead. We expressed our concerns at the school but were told that even though she was beginning to have difficulty keeping up with the class, she was "too bright" to qualify for extra assistance.

We didn't like the direction all this was going, and ds has matured a LOT over the past couple of years so after a lot of careful (and prayerful) consideration we decided to try having me work with both kids at home this year. It's kind of intimidating to me, but after a couple of weeks I'm starting to feel confident that it's going to work out ok. Ds is being very cooperative, helpful, and independent, and I think it's good for him to have his sister at home too. For ds, I sort of custom build a curriculum from various bits and pieces at varying grade levels due to his special needs so there is not a specific curriculum that I am used to using or have experience using. Also, ds went to ps through third grade, so I didn't teach the lower grades to him, and dd's needs and learning style are VERY different from her brother's so I feel like I'm in completely new territory here.

In evaluating what program to use for dd I chose Oak Meadow's 2nd grade boxed set because a) I felt that having the lesson plans all spelled out for me would help me make the transition to 2 children at home more easily, b) I was given to understand that OM used a somewhat "gentle" approach for language arts and I thought that might work well with dd's being a bit behind, and c) OM seemed very hands-on, artsy-craftsy and I thought that would be an approach that would work well for dd.

Now that we're into it, though, I have been realizing just how far behind dd really is in her reading and writing.

Her reading skills are not nearly up to the level of the readers that came with the set. I purchased a few of the books used with their first grade program as readers, but even those she finds intimidating and frustrating, so I've cut her back to some very beginner reading books that we have around the house and from the library. (She loathes BOB books, and will sometimes tolerate the "Now I Can Read" set we have long enough to get through a whole book, but doesn't love them. We recently read "Where Is The Green Sheep" together and although she was very resistant at first, she was quite enjoying it by the second time through). If a page has more than one line of large print text on it she won't even try. She thinks it's too hard just from looking at it. If any of the individual words are very long she also shuts down. Reading sessions tend to be a lot of me reading every other word, or if I'm lucky every other page, and coaxing her through sounding out words. She can sound out a lot of short vowel words and seems to get the basic consonant blends fairly well, as well as sh, th, and ch digraphs. Seeing two vowels next to each other throws her completely. Last year I had thought that some of this was a function of being overtired from being at school all day, but evidently not as much as I thought.

This morning, in order to get a better picture of where we really are with her reading, I gave her the DORA assessment from Let's Go Learn. Her oral vocabulary tested at a low 3rd grade level, which I'm happy about. Spelling was mid-1st grade level, high-frequency words tested at a low 1st grade level, and word recognition, phonics, and reading comprehension all tested at various stages of kindergarten level.

So I think we're going to have to back up even farther than I thought on the reading front. In fact, I think we'll probably need to let some things like social studies and science slide a little in favor of more time working on reading (perhaps reading about social studies and science topics, but read, read, read!!). Only I'm not exactly sure where to start with this. Ds picked up reading entirely on his own (well, I did answer questions about what sound various refrigerator magnets made, but that's about the extent of my instruction to ds) when he was 3 years old and by kindergarten was testing at a third grade level even though he did not cooperate well with the test. All of which is just to say that I have NO experience teaching a child to read. Do any of you have any suggestions as to where to start with her? I have some random ideas, and the DORA report came with some suggestions, but I'm struggling with how to form it all together into a coherent, workable "plan", IYKWIM. I don't think The OM 2nd grade materials are going to do what needs doing with this child on the reading front. The read-alouds, crafts, etc. will still work well, but I think we need a different approach on the reading.

Then there's writing. Not much writing is required in the OM program, for example she is asked to write a short summary (usually about 1-3 sentences) after we read a story together. I have been trimming it down to one sentence, which I write down for her to copy into her lesson book, but even that small amount of writing is very frustrating for her. In observing her writing more critically, I have noticed that she does not yet form her letters automatically. Each time she writes a word she has to stop and think how to "draw" the letter. She draws them differently each time--for example, when writing a lowercase letter "a" she sometimes writes the line first, sometimes the circle, she may start at either the top or bottom line, and her circles may be drawn either clockwise or counter-clockwise. So none of this is at all automatic for her. I think that's a large portion of the frustration.

I'm thinking for writing the thing to do will be to begin at the very beginning with teaching how to write the letters and have her practice writing them the same way each time. I think I'll have her dictate her summary narrations for a while and I'll just write them in her book for her. Then when her handwriting is a little more in hand I'll have her start some copywork, maybe write just the title for the narration, and then work into longer bits as it seems appropriate. Does that sound like a good plan?

I'm just really feeling out of my element with this child, and also feeling like we have a lot of lost ground to make up while I'm still floundering around in the dark. I'd really like to start her in third grade next year able to do actual third grade reading and writing. Any suggestions? Thoughts? Encouragements? Help!

(Thank goodness she's on track with her math...sigh...)

Edited by MamaSheep

You need to focus on the sounds of letters, phonics rules, and spelling rules.

She can watch my free online phonics lessons.

I also have idiot proof instructions for teaching an older remedial student to read on my how to tutor page, in this paragraph.

Your number one task is to get them to stop guessing and start sounding out each and every word from left to right. Nonsense words are key, they help prevent guessing. Here is a free website that generates nonsense words. Syllables are also helpful, I would use the Blend Phonics Reader (it helps show how guessing is a bad strategy by showing words with similar configuration together) followed by Webster’s Speller. Here is a step by step guide to using Blend Phonics that also adds in syllables, spelling and phonics rules, syllable division rules, and syllable division exercises. There are also readings from Hebrews 12 that can be added to show progress through the program.

If you watch my spelling lessons, you'll learn everything you need to know to teach your daughter to read.

My phonics lessons and Webster's Speller are good for an older student because while they start from the basics, they move on to multi-syllable words very quickly. (For lesson 1 for my phonics lessons.)

A good computer program (but expensive) is Read, Write, Type. Since she's older, I'd also get the follow on, Wordy Querty, it's not much more to buy both. You can download a free demo to make sure it will work for you before buying.

http://www.talkingfingers.com/

I would also give the MWIA to her (Level I) to see if nonsense words are necessary.

The MWIA is here, along with several other reading grade level tests:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

If she misses more phonetic words than holistic words or reads the phonetic words more than 15% slower than the holistic words, you'll also have to do some nonsense words to help break sight word induced guessing problems.

With daily work, it is possible to improve several grade levels in a few months, many of my students have improved 2 to 4 grade levels in just a few months of work.

Here are some things that might work for you. I've used a lot of different things over the years to teach my slower learner son and my quicker dd:

Tanglewood's Really Reading is a nice review of phonics and the readers are very beginner friendly with only a bit of text on each page:

http://tanglewoodeducation.com/bksrd.htm

Learning Language Arts Through Literature Blue helped ds so much because it moves slowly but surely through 1st grade reading and writing skills. I used it with dd too moving more quickly. Both kids enjoyed it and I like the way the TM is laid out. If you're on a budget, look for it used, because you'll probably need to start half way through.

Another effective, low cost alternative is Explode the Code. It provides solid phonics instruction along with handwriting practice.

You need to focus on reading and don't worry about writing at all yet. Not one bit. She needs a stronger foundation in phonics like others have said. I like Explode the Code b/c they are inexpensive workbooks and get the job done. The pages are also black and white (but with fun illustrations so they are not too dry or boring) which minimizes distractions with younger ones or those prone to distraction. I use the Primary Phonics readers to go along with these.They are published by the same company who published ETC. I have my own set but my local library has several sets that can be checked out. Of course I learned that after I bought my own! :001_huh: Maybe you can look at your library to keep costs low.

Really you can use any inexpensive phonics program. But seriously do not worry about writing yet. I would at her age have her start doing narrations back to you after you read to her in from her history or science books. It will do more to prepare her for later writing than just about anything else you can do at her stage of the game.

A friend sent me this link to free phonics readers the other day. I have not looked there yet but I thought I would pass it along in case it fit what you were needing:

http://www.progressivephonics.com

Good luck to you and you'll have a great year!!!

Thank you both, I'll check into these. :)

Elizabeth, one of the sections of the DORA report incorporated nonsense words. The report tells me that about half of her errors on that section were nonsense words and half were not. From just sitting and reading with her I agree that she's about equally weak in both phonics and sight words. Just overall behind. And convinced she "CAAAN'T" read. That's the hardest part right now is just getting her to try. I'm trying to just be really encouraging and quietly correct errors with no fuss, and make a huge, stinkin' happy deal out of it when she successfully does something she thinks is hard, and she's starting to be more willing to try. But that's probably her biggest hurdle right now, just thinking she's incapable. She's not. When she tries she usually succeeds. She's quite bright. I think she just got left behind by her class last year and convinced herself she's not smart enough to do it. (Chafes my hide!)

Guest quenepa

How about using "Writing Road to Reading". I was looking for something for my DS too. He was in ps for K last year where they taught reading, but i felt that i had to start from the beginning as well. I wanted him to get a good foundation before i continued. Look at http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/curriculum/grammar-orthography.html it really does a good explanation. Happy teaching!

Thank you both, I'll check into these. :)

Elizabeth, one of the sections of the DORA report incorporated nonsense words. The report tells me that about half of her errors on that section were nonsense words and half were not. From just sitting and reading with her I agree that she's about equally weak in both phonics and sight words. Just overall behind. And convinced she "CAAAN'T" read. That's the hardest part right now is just getting her to try. I'm trying to just be really encouraging and quietly correct errors with no fuss, and make a huge, stinkin' happy deal out of it when she successfully does something she thinks is hard, and she's starting to be more willing to try. But that's probably her biggest hurdle right now, just thinking she's incapable. She's not. When she tries she usually succeeds. She's quite bright. I think she just got left behind by her class last year and convinced herself she's not smart enough to do it. (Chafes my hide!)

Go with Elizabeth B's suggestions for phonics. No sight words! They will only set phonics work back. For writing, I think that your plan is right on. DD was behind so we stopped what we were doing and went back to being consistent with a handwriting program. I stopped all other subjects in order to get her writing and math up to speed. It worked! (though she is still struggling, again, with math... it just isn't her thing).

If you feel that she needs some special work with handwriting, you could look at what they do at orton-gillingham. There are some videos of kids writing letters in sand, etc. Or if you could spend some money, Handwriting Without Tears is perfect.

Since she is intimidated by any and all readers, I would start using progressive phonics for reading practice. DD loved them at that stage. Just make sure that you are teaching phonics. It is very easy to use the progressive phonics program in a sight word way.

You will do just fine, and you have plenty of time to catch up. :grouphug:

:grouphug:

Well, even if it isn't sight words that caused the problem, you can still use the line I repeat over and over with my remedial students:

"You're not stupid, you were taught to read with a stupid method."

(Because even if it wasn't sight words, it was a stupid method for her if it didn't work for her! This really helps, most of my students have lost a lot of self-confidence and you do have to coax them into trying and reassure them that it isn't their fault and that they can learn.)

My phonics game might be a fun way to get her over this hurdle. (With students who need encouragement and very young students, I never make them put a card back. If they can't figure it out, they get hints and more hints until they get it right.)

You can also tell her that my methods have been tested on a lot of children who the schools didn't teach to read and that they all improved with my methods.

You might also try to get ahold of an iPhone or an iPod touch for a few weeks if you don't have one, the abc pocket phonics app would be perfect for her, it's in a nice non-threatening format, and it teaches handwriting and phonics at the same time! It teaches a lot of sounds and 170 words to show these sounds.

Edit: actually, I almost never make any of my students put their cards back, by the time their confidence is good, they're doing so well they almost never miss a word! So, it really shouldn't be named the Phonics Concentration Game, but several people search for it by name and link to it with that name, so it will stay that name.

Edited by ElizabethB

Here are some more b and d hints from my dyslexia page:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/dbdb.html

Thanks. :) Maybe I should clarify. She has no problem distinguishing the "sounds" of d and b, she just gets confused as to which lowercase letter is which because they look the same to her. She also occasionally begins reading from the end of the word (right to left) rather than the beginning (left to right). Less and less frequently, but it still happens.

Actually, I think it's that whole business of directionality in general that is the sticking point. A dog is a dog and a cat is a cat regardless of which direction the animal is facing. A shoe is a shoe, a carrot is a carrot, doesn't matter if it's upside down, back to front, or sideways. Similarly there is nothing that looks like an A or even a B or D, even if you reverse them. Not so with d and b. She's better with p, q, and g, but only marginally. I think practicing handwriting will help with this. If I can get her to ALWAYS write the b by drawing the line first, and ALWAYS write the d by writing the circle first, I think she'll get it straightened out. But the "bed" trick with the hands will appeal to her also, I think.

Some of my students confuse both the sounds and the letters, most just the letter directions...the exercises are meant to help for both or either. Uppercase and cursive both help prevent the problem. With uppercase, you over learn B, then learn that a b is facing the same direction. Then you over learn D, then you are allowed to learn the lowercase letters.

Thanks. :) Maybe I should clarify. She has no problem distinguishing the "sounds" of d and b, she just gets confused as to which lowercase letter is which because they look the same to her. She also occasionally begins reading from the end of the word (right to left) rather than the beginning (left to right). Less and less frequently, but it still happens.

Actually, I think it's that whole business of directionality in general that is the sticking point. A dog is a dog and a cat is a cat regardless of which direction the animal is facing. A shoe is a shoe, a carrot is a carrot, doesn't matter if it's upside down, back to front, or sideways. Similarly there is nothing that looks like an A or even a B or D, even if you reverse them. Not so with d and b. She's better with p, q, and g, but only marginally. I think practicing handwriting will help with this. If I can get her to ALWAYS write the b by drawing the line first, and ALWAYS write the d by writing the circle first, I think she'll get it straightened out. But the "bed" trick with the hands will appeal to her also, I think.

The issue of directionality and reversals are signs of dsylexia. I'm not saying that your dd is dyslexic, but many students exhibit these types of problems after being taught with poor methods. The Orton-Gillingham method that was discussed earlier was designed for students with dyslexia, but it is also highly effective with all types of learners. It uses a multisensory approach that is proven effective against dyslexia and reading problems. We implemented the Recipe for Reading program in a school I taught in and had wonderful results. There are other programs out there that use the Orton-Gillingham techniques. The Writing Road to Reading and Spell to Write and Read are based on a method that was developed from Orton-Gillingham, but it does not have as much of the multi-sensory approach that students with dyslexic tendancies really need. You can order Recipe for Reading book from this website, and then you can create the multisensory materials yourself to save money. At the school I taught in, we created our own wall charts and cards, and we bought all the multisensory materials we needed from craft stores. Here is the site:

http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/series.asp?subject=62S&subjectdesc=Reading+Intervention&series=491M

For students who are delayed or having reading difficulty, Orton Gillingham based methods really are the best out there. I am using Websters from Don Potter's site with my own children, but I incorporate some of the multi-sensory methods I learned through OG.

Thanks all. I think I have a direction to move in. I don't think we're dealing with dyslexia, just bad teaching techniques and problems with immaturity and attention. I will definitely keep my eyes open, however, as we move forward in our new direction and will make course corrections in that direction should they seem advisable. I truly appreciate everyone's thoughtful input. I feel much better about this now. :)