Menu

'Unoffical' acceptances and scholarships at college visits

Guest Katia

Has anyone encountered unofficial acceptances and scholarship offers when they go to tour/visit colleges?

We have experienced this at three different colleges so far. After we toured with a student (employed by the admissions office), we would meet with someone at admissions and/or a head of department. These people would look at dd's ACT score and grade point average and 'unofficially' congratulate her on her acceptance into their college! The first time this happened we were floored.....but since then it's happened two more times. :confused: I thought you had to at least fill out an application to the college? That acceptance into colleges was.....difficult and/or competitive?

Believe me, dd does NOT have a high ACT score. She took it at 16yo for the first time, with no prep, and got a 28. That's 'ok', but it's certainly not WOW, kwim? Not enough, IMHO, to just accept her into colleges and then offer her half-tuition scholarships.

But, that is exactly what has happened. At no less than three colleges; two in Ohio and one in Florida. Two were small, private, Christian colleges, and one was just a mid-size private liberal arts college.

Dd is flattered, but......does this mean they are desperate? That she would not get as good an education as elsewhere? That their academic standards are lower?

Having had two other dc go through the college admissions process, we've simply never encountered this. Anywhere. What's up with this, do you suppose?

I think the small private colleges are looking for good students and willing to reward them. I also think some students are scared away from these schools because of the perceived cost. I don't think that means that the schools are desperate and that your child will not recieve a good education there. Two years ago when we were looking at schools several small liberal arts schools called up my ds and offered him a scholarship on the spot based on his gpa and act scores. A few he hadn't even applied to called, asked his scores and told him what his award would be.

A "28" is hardly shoddy. I just looked it up... that would be in the 92 percentile range.

Has anyone encountered unofficial acceptances and scholarship offers when they go to tour/visit colleges?

We have experienced this at three different colleges so far. After we toured with a student (employed by the admissions office), we would meet with someone at admissions and/or a head of department. These people would look at dd's ACT score and grade point average and 'unofficially' congratulate her on her acceptance into their college! The first time this happened we were floored.....but since then it's happened two more times. :confused: I thought you had to at least fill out an application to the college? That acceptance into colleges was.....difficult and/or competitive?

Believe me, dd does NOT have a high ACT score. She took it at 16yo for the first time, with no prep, and got a 28. That's 'ok', but it's certainly not WOW, kwim? Not enough, IMHO, to just accept her into colleges and then offer her half-tuition scholarships.

But, that is exactly what has happened. At no less than three colleges; two in Ohio and one in Florida. Two were small, private, Christian colleges, and one was just a mid-size private liberal arts college.

Dd is flattered, but......does this mean they are desperate? That she would not get as good an education as elsewhere? That their academic standards are lower?

Having had two other dc go through the college admissions process, we've simply never encountered this. Anywhere. What's up with this, do you suppose?

My son is a 28, too, and has been highly encouraged to apply at a couple places that told him "gee, see these scholarships that you can get!". I figure they are just doing what they need to do to get kids to apply (the more that apply, the more desirable a college can claim to be) and a verbal contract or offer is not worth the paper it isn't printed on. ;)

I did SAT back in the day...but I was unofficially invited to schools and offered scholarships too...I went to one of them. It was a great school academically, and has since climbed even higher. But it is expensive. Letting me know that my scores and grades were going to make a scholarship possible really helped in the decision-making process.

It all depends on where your student's academic stats are relative to the student body of any given college. At the most elite schools- Ivy & Ivy-like schools- only students who rank in the very tip-top of all students applying to colleges will gain admission let alone be awarded merit scholarships. However, there are hundreds and hundreds of colleges for which the average composite ACT score of admitted students is somewhere in the 24-26 range. The student body IS above average for all students who go to 4 year colleges and they are solid students but are not in that highly gifted range, which is more typical of students admitted to all the Harvard-type schools of the country. At these colleges, students with ACT scores of 28 or higher are going to stand out with almost certain admission and eligibility for merit scholarships.

Even at colleges of that level, it depends on how the merit scholarship programs are run. Many schools give out *some* merit money for nearly all students at or above 26 or 28 ACT, depending on the makeup of the student body & the endowments of the college. Some give quite a lot for 28 & above, with the highest amounts reserved for 30 & above. Other schools run scholarship competitions for the largest scholarship amounts. These competitions often require extra essays and/or interviews, sometimes in the context of a scholarship weekend event. You can usually get a feel for the type of scholarship money available by visiting the financial aid pages of colleges & by digging up the profile stats of the most recent freshman class. If your student is above the 75th percentile of admitted students, there's a good chance that merit money might be part of the financial aid package.

Edited by Tokyomarie

My daughter visited five colleges recently. The one where she had an interview was very interested in her and encouraged her to apply and basically said she would be admitted. We don't need financial aid at many colleges and that was the only one where she personally talked with an admissions counselor. We were visiting during move-in time at most of the colleges so it wasn't the best time but all we could manage with our schedules.

She won't be applying till next year anyway but we plan to have her fill out her applications early due to possible moving problems ( we are military and our two years are up in Nov/Dec timeframe of her senior year.)

We've had similar experienced - with one school even wanting my son to go this year (skipping his senior year of high school) - our visit was last spring. I think smaller schools are really actively looking for those top 25% students (those above their middle 50% numbers). It's a good spot to be in.

If you sign up on Zinch (I think that's the correct spelling) you get TONS of schools actively recruiting - I assume based on National Test scores (my son was decent with the SAT - will be taking the ACT in Oct). I was surprised at all the daily e-mails my son is getting - most from schools he had never contacted. We've had phone calls, offers of free application fees, and strong suggestions about potential aid offerings as well as notification about scholarship testing/interviewing weekends.

I'm glad to see others have experienced this and that it is a common practice. It just threw me for a loop!

Also, I guess that here on WTM I have seen so many post their dc's ACT scores and they were all in the 30's, that I really thought dd's score was low. She is signed up to re-take in Oct. in hopes of getting a higher score, but after all the scholarship offers I was wondering if it was really necessary, kwim?

So, we'll enjoy knowing she is in the top 25%, that colleges want her, and that acceptance and scholarships are not as hard to get as we thought they were.

My son is back in private school. He has the same ACT score right now, along with about a 3.6 GPA. He has been getting loads of mail for the past several months asking him to join honors programs, apply for scholarships to various schools, or congratulating him on his desire to attend a particular school, LOL. Most of these we haven't even visited or considered at all.....

Perhaps this is the new means of trying to stroke the customers' egos and entice them to join a particular program....

My son is back in private school. He has the same ACT score right now, along with about a 3.6 GPA. He has been getting loads of mail for the past several months asking him to join honors programs, apply for scholarships to various schools, or congratulating him on his desire to attend a particular school, LOL. Most of these we haven't even visited or considered at all.....

Perhaps this is the new means of trying to stroke the customers' egos and entice them to join a particular program....

That is what I feel is happening - although it is a nice ego-boost to get such "offers".

That is what I feel is happening - although it is a nice ego-boost to get such "offers".

Last week's mail brought a letter from a good school informing my son that they will wave the application fee if he were to apply there. I must say that this gave me pause. The school is not on his radar but I thought this was a good enticement.

Last week's mail brought a letter from a good school informing my son that they will wave the application fee if he were to apply there. I must say that this gave me pause. The school is not on his radar but I thought this was a good enticement.

We are seeing a TON of these, too - both snail and e mail. I read in wither the local paper or WSJ (can't recall which) how it is now becoming a common tactic. all in the interest of getting kids to apply and BOOST THE NUMBERS! The more applicants, the more desirable a college appears to be in the US News and World Report rankings, etc.

None of the schools ds is truly interested have made this offer yet....drat!

These have been my thoughts exactly - and I agree that I think most of it is about upping the numbers. We've yet to be interested in a free application school, but I keep hoping the ones we are interested in offer it. I'd like all my son's applications to be in by the end of this month, so time is running a little short on waiting...

We are seeing a TON of these, too - both snail and e mail. I read in wither the local paper or WSJ (can't recall which) how it is now becoming a common tactic. all in the interest of getting kids to apply and BOOST THE NUMBERS! The more applicants, the more desirable a college appears to be in the US News and World Report rankings, etc.

None of the schools ds is truly interested have made this offer yet....drat!

That makes sense--until last week the schools that sent this enticement were places we had never heard of or schools in very undesirable (to us) locations. So receiving the streamlined application/waived fee to what I see as a decent school took me aback.

Now that you mention it, I had forgotten that the 'no application fee' was another offer they gave dd. My older two paid through the nose to apply to colleges! This just seemed so.....odd to me.