Menu

I ned pros and cons of doing Geometry in 8th grade

We have been doing geometry--started halfway through 7th and will finish halfway through 8th. We did Jacobs Algebra and I had intended to use Jacobs Geometry but it didn't work for us so now we are using TT Geometry and it's going fine.

It was a rocky transition for a while but my son has issues with doing new things anyway. Also, it is continuing to take a while to get the hang of proofs, but it is mostly going fine.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest michaelsteven

I am for it,absolutely. may be in the school you feel bored or not required subject. but when you enter the market that time you feel the necessity of the algebra. Maths is such a subject it helps you in each and every mode of life.

Ds#4 is doing geometry now in 8th using Art of Problem Solving Geometry. He is doing well with it. We had started Algebra 2 but he was hitting a wall and I'm not sure he was really understanding what he was doing so we switched to geometry. We will add algebra 2 back in probably some time after Christmas.

It's common around here... the only 'con' I can think of is most colleges want to see 3 or 4 years of math in high school, so it will require doing either Calc or Stats after Alg 2 and Pre-Calc - even if you add in a good Consumer Math course. Still, for most people, that's not a problem.

My two oldest did it that way... my youngest has taken longer to 'get' upper level math so we slowed him down a year. He's doing fine in Alg 1 this year (8th).

It will work if your dd's logic center in her brain has developed enough. This varies with dc, of course, and most aren't ready yet do do a really proofy Geometry at 13, but some are. This is assuming you're doing a geometry with proofs; I haven't seen Jacob's Geometry. My dd is doing it at 14, which is what honours dc here do in ps, but I made her do Algebra 1 twice, even though she understood it well enough to move on (but not at the level I wanted, which was an A level with a rigourous program since she's mathy, and it's paid of in her case since lately she's been telling me that math and science are her favourite subjects--this is a girl who has hated math most of her life.)

We're doing Geometry with our 8th grade dd right now and it's going great. She enjoys it better than Algebra actually, although she did well in in last year. Our curric. includes proofs and constructions and she's done well with both. I think it's helpful that she's studied logic, it's closely related.