Menu

Could/should a 7th grader read Uncle Tom's Cabin?

I read both in HS. I'd recommend the Douglas book. I hold off on Uncle Tom's for a few more years. It is quite disturbing and a bit more maturity would be a good thing. Douglas' book is more inspiring.

:iagree:

Uncle Tom's Cabin is the only required book my 16yo son absolutely refused to finish last year. Very quickly after starting the book he told me he would take whatever punishment I felt necessary, but that he WOULD NOT read that book. He said it offended him. Having last read the book in high school, I couldn't remember and didn't make him read it.

I was looking at the high school reading list on Ambleside on-line, and they have Uncle Tom's Cabin scheduled on their Year 10 Booklist. It is also included in Omnibus III by Veritas Press which corresponds to their 9th grade literature/history/theology program. My oldest son might tackle it with Omnibus III next year, but if not, I'll at least have him read it before he graduates, but not before 9th grade.

HTH!

While I don't feel every 7th grader should read Uncle Tom's Cabin, I can tell you my daughter did read it as a 7th grader and found it to be a very powerful book.

It most certainly provides valuable commentary on the horrors of slavery. Your child's maturity level and your comfort with the subject matter should be your guide.

My daughter found it to be extremely gripping, and lists it as one of her favorite books.

I read Uncle Tom's Cabin a couple of years ago, and found it to be a very powerfull book on several levels. Really, it was all I could think about for weeks. It was on dd's 6th grade reading list. SHEESH! There was no way I was going to let that happen.

She will be reading it this year in 9th grade. Ugh! I sometimes wonder if it's really necessary to expose my dc to the ugliness that is our "world". I always decide that yes, they need to eventually see it. But it is my job to decide when, and how much.

So, I would not suggest it pre-high school. And even then, I would make sure that the communication avenues are wide open, so that much discussion can take place.

My .02

jackie