Menu

I'm reading Weapons of Mass Instruction ...

I just finished Real Education: Four Simple Truths for Bringing America's Schools Back to Reality, by Charles Murray, and it was definitely thought-provoking and an interesting read. While addressing many controversial topics, it has one overriding theme: the American educational system makes decisions that cost billions of dollars and affect millions of lives with very little discussion or regard to facts and research. (and he does offer ideas on how to change this)

John Holt was both a classroom teacher andd at the forefront of the home school movement, so I always recommend reading at least one of his books, even though seasoned hs'ers won't find much to surprise them. How Children Learn and How Children Fail are both easy reads; Escape from Childhood takes a radical approach to children's rights overall.

I liked both of Rafe Esquith's books, There Are No Shortcuts and Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire. He can be a bit obnoxious at times, but he's a dedicated teacher and an interesting writer.

Top of the Class isn't a brilliant book, and many dislike it for presenting the stereotype of Asian overachievers, but I liked what it had to say about priorities, a learning lifestyle, and creating an environment that supports achievement.