Menu

War and Peace

I was thinking about getting this for my daughter's birthday which is the 27th of this month. I was going to see if The Well-Educated Mind recommended a certain version, but someone beat me to the library and checked out the last copy today so I won't be able to get ahold of it until the 22nd. I really wanted to buy it before then. :glare:

The new version that was translated recently is supposed to be very good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/1400079985/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

This is the translation that I have, but whether it is the "best" for high school students as originally asked is beyond me.

WEM's Tolstoy selection is Anna Karenina, recommending a Gardner translation updated by Kent and Berberova in 2000. I'm not sure this version is in print anymore.

Back to Elizabeth's recommendation: Pevear and Volokhonsky have won literary prizes for their translations which are done in a two step process. Volokhonsky is Russian--she prepares a literal translation which her poet husband then "cleans" up. Here is an interesting article from the NY Review of Books on translations of Russian classics.