Menu

Vocabulary help - LFC

1bassoon

So, if you're using LFC for your kids - how are you drilling & reinforcing vocabulary?

I'm sitting here with my 8th grade ds - he's in the final two chapters of LFC B, and we're moving on to LFC C when he's done. He's not bad on declensions or derivatives, but he HATES translations. Hates.

And I've figured out why. He can remember almost NO vocabulary. In any given sentence, he'll know maybe 2 words, the rest he hast to look up. We're doing this on our own - no class, no co-op.

Any suggestions? He really doesn't like either FlashDash or vocabulary cards, and I'm realizing how amiss I've been in not reviewing.

SO - now what? :glare:

Thanks for the heads up that we will need to do continuous review. We are starting LFC B and are making vocab flash cards as we go along this time. I think I'll go back and finish the LFC A cards too--I only did about 5 chapters.

We go through the new vocab daily as we work through a chapter, sometimes chanting with the DVD, sometimes chanting on our own. So far that has worked for us and dd has retained LFC A vocab pretty well. This summer we put the chant CD in the car and that was a good review. I decided that we need to use the CD more--the chanting is better than the DVD. So you might consider pulling out the CDs and keep them running. And I would just do a lot of drill and review using whatever you have (flash cards, book) whether he likes it or not!

We are just starting B and I'm making flashcards. My ds has a pretty good memory but does better if we make up goofy sentences to go along with the vocabulary. I also use them around the house. last year we spent more time on the review weeks to help cement some of the vocabulary.

Another thing that might help is doing more with the derivatives ds has really started to see how much Latin in is our everyday language.

I haven't done this with Latin yet, but when we were doing Spanish I labeled objects in the house with sticky notes with the Spanish word.

Are you working alongside him or he is working on his own? I bought myself a workbook so I'm learning with him (and ahead of him).