Menu

Well I watched ds get on the yellow school bus this morning

He is 15 and has been homeschool all of his life. We live in a neighborhood with a lot of kids so he knows everyone on the bus. It was raining this morning so most of the parents drove the kids to the bus stop. He said he was nervous but excited too. We weighed a lot of pros and a few cons before making this decision. We have a wonderful public high school that offers a lot of AP courses, tech courses and computer courses. His first semester as a 10th grader he will be taking English 10, Biology, Trig, and French 1 He has already tested out of the high school graduate requirement for Algebra (thank you chalkdust for preparing him so well) He had to take the Algebra exam after not having algebra for over a year(we did geometry last year) and received a wonderful score. They have also granted him credits in Chemistry, Geometry, World and Us History, American Government, Health and PE, and music. He will be able to start taking AP courses in the 11th grade. He is very excited about joining the engineering club. My heart feels very good about this decision. Homeschooling was a wonderful experience for us, and I would not have changed a thing about it.

Karen

In Maryland their is a rule in the board of education concerning homeschooling. At first the counselor said flat out they would not take any credits(she didn't know about the rule). Then our home school liason (she works for the public school system) stepped in and even attended a meeting with the guidance couselor with us. Honestly he received more credits than I could have hoped for. In total they gave him 12 credits ( I didn't list all of them earlier) I had boxes filled with the materials he had completed, as well as my teaching schedules. I had also prepared a portfolio with the work complete in each subject as well as pictures of the materials used. They were amazed, I don't think they had ever encountered a classical homeschooler before.

He should be home soon. I hope his day when well; I am looking forward to hearing all about it.

In Maryland their is a rule in the board of education concerning homeschooling. At first the counselor said flat out they would not take any credits(she didn't know about the rule). Then our home school liason (she works for the public school system) stepped in and even attended a meeting with the guidance couselor with us. Honestly he received more credits than I could have hoped for. In total they gave him 12 credits ( I didn't list all of them earlier) I had boxes filled with the materials he had completed, as well as my teaching schedules. I had also prepared a portfolio with the work complete in each subject as well as pictures of the materials used. They were amazed, I don't think they had ever encountered a classical homeschooler before.

He should be home soon. I hope his day when well; I am looking forward to hearing all about it.

Wow, the guidance counselor has given your son 12 credits for his 9th grade work at home!! Very nice start for him as a 10th grader!

I know you must have so many emotions. Way to go for all of your hard work ( and his hard work)! I know you must be so proud of you both. I think it is hard to go with our hearts when we feel it is the best, but part of us doesn't want to change. But when we finally let go and embrace it, it feels good. Right. What a big change for all of you! :)

In order to graduate in Maryland at student has to take exams in

Algebra and Data Analysis (this exam is 55 % algebra and 45 percent data)***see note

Biology

English 10

American Government

With only 24 hours notice and no idea what would be on the test ds took it and received a very good score. He knows that with some review and advance prep he can do better(he can take it again) It was mainly the data questions that tripped him up as we had not done that in years. They really just wanted to make sure he was placed in the right level of math. He also took an in course exam for Algebra 2(the class final exam) and received a grade of 93. The trig teacher was very impressed as she knew he had done Geometry last year. She also looked through his Geometry work (Jacobs second edition) and was very, very impressed with the material we had covered. He had a worksheet to do in his trig class today and said it was very easy. He is probably the youngest student in the trig class. I am very proud of him. He spent about 2 hours telling me about his day and setting up his binders for his classes. We also had a ton of paperwork to do. He is excited and tired and maybe a bit overwhelmed. All in all I think he is doing great. Oh and Staples is crazy the night kids go back to school. The lines where ten people deep.

*** NOTE in Maryland you take 3 level of Algebra (Algebra 1/Data, Algebra 2 and Algebra 3. The chalkdust course actually going up to some of the Algebra 3 material.

Karen

Edited by Mrs. Readsalot

Wow, the guidance counselor has given your son 12 credits for his 9th grade work at home!! Very nice start for him as a 10th grader!

Four of the credits were for work he had done in the 8th grade (Algebra, World History, Earth Science and Geography)

We considered putting him in as an 11th grader, but his age is 10th grade and we wanted him to have a good adjustment year (ie he won't have any AP courses until next year)

Karen