Menu

Analyzing literature ...

I've never had my daughter do this before. How important is it? What purpose does it serve? I truly know nothing about this. I have never done it myself either.

How would one go about starting this and is 9th grade a good time to start?

Sorry if I sound ignorant.

I think it's extremely important as it helps you to pick apart what a book is really about, what is the author really saying and what are the nuances he uses to make his point?

I think learning how to do this really effects your everyday thinking and evaluation of situations you come across. You can apply what you've learned from reading to your everyday life. I also think the more you do it, the better your writing becomes. By seeing how an author uses words and sentences, you are better able to use them as tools yourself.

My 4 favorite sources for literary analysis are:

How to Read Like a Professor

Windows to the World by IEW

How to Read a Book

The Well Educated Mind

Teaching the Classics is a good, very basic course.

How to Read a Book

The Well Educated Mind

Teaching the Classics is a good, very basic course.

I recommend these resources also (though I haven't used Windows to the World).

Sparknotes and study guides from Progeny Press are also nice to use if you need a bit of handholding:001_smile:

We just finished Fahrenheit 451 using Sparknotes and Progeny Press. We had some great discussions comparing the analysis sections of both.

We used Progeny Press in elementary school and I thought it was a great way to kill a book, but I THOROUGHLY enjoyed the Fah 451 guide. I would have missed sooo much without it. In fact, I'm sorry we are finished!

Teaching the Classics is having a sale. You can also download a couple of free mp3s. the first one contains discussion of "A Bargain for Francis" which he says he starts off w/ even with high school kids and they love it! He also has other mp3s, one is "Paul Reveres Ride." These are on sale for $3 and would give you an idea of how to start.

Teaching the Classics is having a sale. You can also download a couple of free mp3s. the first one contains discussion of "A Bargain for Francis" which he says he starts off w/ even with high school kids and they love it! He also has other mp3s, one is "Paul Reveres Ride." These are on sale for $3 and would give you an idea of how to start.

can you please provide a link? Thanks !

How to Read a Book

The Well Educated Mind

I'm familiar with the first, third, and fourth above and recommend them all. I'd also suggest Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone. While the book is geared to families with younger children, it would give you a very approachable overview of the process.

Regards,

Kareni