Menu

Are your teens employed while in high school?

This is not a new topic but we have so many new participants here on the high school board as well as a number of parents who are thinking about the upcoming high school years for their children. So I think this topic could be revisited.

In a recent thread, there was a discussion about the number of hours in a day that high schoolers spend on academics. One thing that strikes me about teens on the "competitive track", i.e. students who are not only taking demanding courses but various tests like SAT subjects and AP: their job is school. Throw in time for music lessons and community service, commutes to these events or CC classes, and household chores, and it seems that these kids really do not have time to maintain a job within the school year.

Is that a good thing?

My son works in the summer but I do not want him working during the school year. I want him to focus on school and his outside interests. One of his friends was working as a senior at a pizza joint until the price of gas went through the roof. Her family decided that three hours at minimum wage was not worth it when commuting costs and disruption to family life were considered. Is the point of a teen job money or teaching a teen to be responsible?

A couple of years ago, I read an article in the newspaper about traditional summer jobs for teens. One college admissions officer said that he loved seeing things like ice cream scooper or grocery bagger on a student's application. This said to him that these students could deal with drudgery for the sake of an end goal. Yet so many parents feel that it is better for students to have a rich summer experience (perhaps coursework or travel) rather than a job at a fast food restaurant.

So let's talk. What is the advantage or disadvantage to teen employment?

My dh was working (illegally) from the time he was 13. He thought he was being responsible, getting work experience, etc., but he now wishes that he had spent that time studying, which would have taken him much farther than a job at a convenience store ever could have. So he's pretty much against our dc working if it would take away from their time to study. It's kind of a moot point though, because we live in the country and there's nowhere close enough to work without driving. Our oldest was blessed with a full scholarship so it hasn't been a problem for him.

Ds#2 works about 8-10 hours per week doing lawn care (lawn is 20 acres of grass, woods, pasture) for a neighbor. For us, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. He is academically gifted but motivationally challenged. Some of that may be related to health problems he has had recently. The hours he works would not necessarily be filled up with academic pursuits if he were given the option of quitting.

Advantages:

1. gives him a chance to earn a little money, learn to save, learn to give, budget, etc.

2. teaches him how to do work to another person's satisfaction (something that will serve him well in college as well as in the work force).

3. gets him out of the house and outdoors. He would be an inside hermit if left alone.

4. teaches him a useful skill as well as one he'll appreciate when he hires some kid to work for him someday.

5. provides a diversion from a week full of rigorous academics. Allows him to exercise a different part of his brain :-)

Disadvantages:

1. The work must go on as scheduled whether he has a test or other academic issue. (although his boss is flexible I choose not to ask for accommodation unless it is a really big deal. I prefer that he learns to handle life as it comes).

2. He doesn't like working with equipment (tractors, mowers, etc.) - just isn't his thing.

All in all, outside work has been a positive experience for us. While I wish he would be more academically motivated and use the talents and gifts he has, he just doesn't get there. So...this is the next best thing to keep him off the X-Box and computer.

My oldest was a very non-traditional student and had several interesting, out-of-the-ordinary jobs. This worked out well for him as he had no plans to enter a 4yr college right away and was not on a certain timeline.

My other two likely will not have time to work except during the summers, when they can potentially as lifeguards, since they are hooked into the pool networks through swim team. I do hope to get both of them into some kind of apprenticeship/volunteering during the high school years, something that will match up to their end goals. There are NO other jobs here for teens anyway, so it is a moot point right now. (Rutherford County supposedly is number 13 on the list for highest unemployment in the nation.)

As it is they barely have time to complete their work,their extra curriculars and their projects, but we like a lot of margin so we probably do less than others on this board. ;) So in other words, a little drudgery and some more interesting work is the plan. I do find that mine learn plenty of responsibility and money management through other venues anyway. "Work" is everywhere around here, lol.

Georgia

Our teens are expected to work part time once they have a driver's license. Just 10 hrs a week during school year and then in summer 20 hours a week. In IL teens take drivers ed at 15 and can get license at 16. But this is only if they get good grades.

To us, this gives them a chance to earn their own spending money and get some "life" experience. Working for someone else (and hopefully realize that mom/dad really were telling truth that employers expect the work to get done quikly and correctly the first time), get more of a "reality check" on how much effort is put into every dollar earned/spent.

Both our twins are 14 and both are asking to be allowed to get a job. We won't let them as Dh and I want to get them settled into homeschooling first. Also Dh and I just are not comfortable in letting our kids work at the age of 14 other than the odd jobs that young teens can do (lawn mowing, babysitting, pet walking/sitting, etc). Also we want them to be kids when they are still kids. We expect them to do extracurricular activities and we do not want them to drop those in order to spend time working a part time job (expecially since they can't drive yet). Also since much of their extracurricular activities count towards part of their education (Sport for P.E.; Civil Air Patrol for P.E., science, volunteer service, leadership skills, etc; Confirmation Class for Religious studies; Music lessons for music credit). Figure these are needed now to help them find their interests and learn more about themselves.

When they are 16 they can work part time for spending money and go to the next level of lessons in learning about the value of money. They will need to also help earn their way through college. Dh and I won't be able to foot the bill.

Our plan was to encourage summer jobs at 16+. I didn't want him to have a job during the school year. Now we are looking at our ds applying as a bag boy in October. He wants to work and earn money for his mission trip and college. I am hoping he doesn't get too many hours. This ds is very responsible and a hard worker. I'm more worried he won't be able to get all his schoolwork done and that isn't acceptable to me. This should be an interesting experiment.

DD(15) goes to a journalism high school and has been working for about 6 months at a pizzeria. Her schedule varies but she usually does about 16 hrs/week. During the summer she's done between 20 and 40 a week. She asks for the hours. She has been enjoying a rich summer even with her job - concerts, the beach, amusement parks, and out with friends every day. She just enjoys it all more now that she has her own money. Her job is about 10 minutes from home, dh or I drive her, and she makes enough money to give me half (to put away for her) and live on the other half.

I feel this job has been a wonderful experience for her. Since she started working, her school grades improved (markedly), she has learned the value of a dollar and how to budget, and has really learned responsibility. She still has plenty of time to study.

Dd had an opportunity for a job this year that was only 10 hours a week and paid 9.63 an hour. We examined her schedule and saw no way for her to do it. She has a very heavy course load, plays soccer in fall and spring, sings in 2 choirs, and will be doing debate, and possible 4H too. She doesn't have any time to work outside the home. She will do some volunteer work. She doesn;t need the money for college unless she decides to go to a non Yellow Ribbon college at a too expensive college.

she makes enough money to give me half (to put away for her) and live on the other half.

Do you, or anyone else in this situation feel free to chime in, feel that this might give her an unrealistic view of the money she makes? By "live on" do you mean that she has regular bills to pay (car insurance, gas, etc) or is it spending money? I don't know many adults who can just spend half their income. I think this may contribute to the issues my dh has with money, since he was actually pretty good with money before we married. It's also easy to be good with money when you have no bills LOL!

I'm not picking on you or your dd, just using what you said as an example! :001_smile:

Do you, or anyone else in this situation feel free to chime in, feel that this might give her an unrealistic view of the money she makes? By "live on" do you mean that she has regular bills to pay (car insurance, gas, etc) or is it spending money? I don't know many adults who can just spend half their income. I think this may contribute to the issues my dh has with money, since he was actually pretty good with money before we married. It's also easy to be good with money when you have no bills LOL!

I'm not picking on you or your dd, just using what you said as an example! :001_smile:

Yeah, I felt I should have re-worded that. I just figured you would understand what I meant. For my dd, "to live on" means being able to cover her own expenses ("necessary" to her right now) - apart from what I give her as her parent. For example, she buys her own: clothes (again, apart from what I get for her), shoes, mani-pedis, bags, food out with friends, movie/concert tickets, gifts, etc. She saves the other half of her weekly pay for long-term items (maybe a laptop, a car, or something else she'll think of). She is 15 and does not have regular bills. I'm proud of the way she's handling her money and I have no doubt that as an adult she will continue to handle it wisely. I know at her age, I was spending every cent I made on cigarettes, beer, and junk food and then I'd ask my mom for more money. :ack2:

We don't have to earn credits the way you guys do, so high school is different for us. I hope to be sending my kids to work as soon as they have the maturity to do a job. The sooner they start building a resume, the better. It's not about the money, it's about having employment experience. I don't want them to be like me, a degree, a diploma and work experience only in retail, where I'd be too old to get hours even if I wanted them. I'd prefer they take a 10-15 hour a week junior office job on lousy wages than a reasonably paid retail job.

Rosie- who doesn't need to worry about this for 15 years, but has anyway. :)

Without a driver's license it's not worth it for our family to drive him around to a job. We can afford for him NOT to work outside school/home. There is no time during the school months (school, sports, homework) and we like the freedom of our 15yob to be able to enjoy his summer with us at home or vacations.

I think a lot of it depends on the personality of the child, as well. My 16yo has a PT job, 12 hrs./wk. as a box boy at a small grocery store. It is 3 days/wk. for 4 hrs. He has always done computer repair work on the side and a friend just asked him if he would do some website work as well as networking for his landscaping business for pay, which he's been doing here and there. I'm hoping that the computer work will become more regular, as he wants to be a computer engineer and at least is working with computers vs. his grocery store job. It is also more flexible, so may fit in better with his cc classes this fall.

Anyway, this summer between getting his license and his PT job, he's much more productive as far as wanting to do other things: grocery store job led to volunteering to do more computer work for people (that led to the job offer), working on boy scout eagle project, and tomorrow he wants to help a builder-friend do some demo at our church to put in an elevator. I'm feeling like I'm having to reign him in so he doesn't over-commit.

I know he'll be much more busy with studies when classes start on 9/21. But, I guess my point is that he was always a busy little guy and how he's a busy bigger guy. He wants to be doing important things. He opted to take his first cc class this summer to get a jump start on his dual enrollment, since he only had the 12 hr./wk. job. There's nothing wrong with hanging out with friends and playing XBox or going to the movies, but he just doesn't normally want to do that excessively. Of course he's still at the stage where he can't drive friends yet, so that may change in 4 months.

I think part-time jobs, if they don't interfere with academics and extra-curriculars are a good thing.

An interesting question/discussion point I have is, so if my son has already earned his black belt in karate and may want to stop karate to free up time for some of the other interests is it a bad thing if it's a PT job (the computer one) that he's paid and/or cycling, which he'd do on his own vs. him continuing to train in karate without really a goal just so he can have lots of non-paid extra-curriculars for a college application? (He does have lots of other volunteer hrs. from scouts and being our tech guy at church).

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

Kimm in WA

There are advantages of teen employment but other things can fulfill those things also. For example, my teenager is taking a full college load (actually, more than a full load) but is aiming for 70 hours per month of volunteer work also. I also believe that she benefits similarly from the volunteer work as she would a job.

My son, another teen, has a fairly full school schedule but not as much as many. He does about 8 hours per week of volunteer work, so considerably less. I can see him, at 16 or 17 having a part time job. Well, he has a VERY part time job right now. He watches a 6yo for 1-1.5 hours per day about 4 days per week.

I think jobs can be a good thing but eventually you have to weigh out your options and choose. Homeschooling may allow for a lot more flexibility, but there still are only 24 hours per day. At SOME point, kids are going to have to choose.

My 16 yo had his first job this summer, and it has been very successful. He is a lifeguard at our local pool, where we have been going since he was 5 years old. He is an excellent guard, and the growing up experience of it, becoming truly safety conscious, handling and planning for his own money, opening a bank account, have all been priceless. He is a very bright kid, but not an eager student, KWIM? He doesn't study for tests, he tends to do the minimum. While he has been working I really see him, at work, going above and beyond, and it is very gratifying. I feel reassured that he will *really* work at something when he knows it matters. He was asked to take the course to become a certified pool operator this winter so that he can be a head guard\assistant manager next summer, over all the kids who are already in college, and have already worked there for years!

Suffice it to say, this job has been worth a school year's worth of growing up, at least. My opinion is that real life experiences are especially valuable for some kinds of students.

Around here, most places, fast food and retail included don't hire those under 18 for the simple reason that there are plenty of older folks wanting those jobs. Many "real" adults need those jobs now, and employers around here would rather hire the older workers. Even college students have a hard time finding summer or part time work, unless they happen to lifeguard. My college student put in tons of applications, had one interview. Most apps were online so we know it wasn't that he gave a bad impression when picking up/dropping off apps. Thankfully, he made decent money pet/house sitting, and he has full scholarships (covering tuition, books and some left over for odds & ends expenses).

I have been pondering this question for my oldest and trying to put it into perspective after reading Do Hard Things. I struggle to find the difference in what I think is okay for my daughter and how I was raised. Starting my junior year, I worked 8 hours a week at small family-owned restaurant-2 days a week, 4 hours each day. I attended a private school, was a double honor student taking AP courses and worked on the school newspaper. We owned four horses whose care I was responsible for. I participated in 4-H and showed at various breed shows. Yet, I don't remember feeling stressed out or overwhelmed. I had time for friends and I enjoyed my high school years while building a work resume. My parents weren't crazy-busy and we sat down for dinner most nights even if there was a riding lesson that evening.

Why do things look so different to me now? I don't know. Now, I know very few parents who would advocate having their children work during school hours but who have no problems scheduling far wilder activity schedules. I can't bring myself to ask my daughter to work and yet I was babysitting steadily from age 12 on. I'm afraid that working will be "too much". How do kids feel like their contribution matters in a family if they don't work? Isn't making a difference one of those human needs? Sorry, just really thinking out loud on this one.

I was involved in a statistical analysis to predict ROTC success rates for four-year scholarship winners. Without exception, the only variable (in several data sets we analyzed) that was an accurate predictor of success in ROTC (that is, completing a degree while juggling the requirements of ROTC coursework, field training, and regular PT, and leadership responsibilities) was whether or not the kid had maintained a job while in high school.

I was shocked.

These were the group of elite students, the ones with extremely high GPAs, SAT/ACT scores, physical fitness, outside leadership (most were captains of some high school sport team, or presidents of school organizations), etc. NONE of that experience factored in. Working "on the clock" for money...well, that was an excellent predictor variable.

Anyway, my older dd did not work in high school, but did start working shortly after her 18th birthday while in college. My younger dd will do the same. I started my first job immediately after I graduated from high school...and ironically, was not successful in ROTC. GRIN.

Lori

I have been pondering this question for my oldest and trying to put it into perspective after reading Do Hard Things. I struggle to find the difference in what I think is okay for my daughter and how I was raised. Starting my junior year, I worked 8 hours a week at small family-owned restaurant-2 days a week, 4 hours each day. I attended a private school, was a double honor student taking AP courses and worked on the school newspaper. We owned four horses whose care I was responsible for. I participated in 4-H and showed at various breed shows. Yet, I don't remember feeling stressed out or overwhelmed. I had time for friends and I enjoyed my high school years while building a work resume. My parents weren't crazy-busy and we sat down for dinner most nights even if there was a riding lesson that evening.

Why do things look so different to me now? I don't know. Now, I know very few parents who would advocate having their children work during school hours but who have no problems scheduling far wilder activity schedules. I can't bring myself to ask my daughter to work and yet I was babysitting steadily from age 12 on. I'm afraid that working will be "too much". How do kids feel like their contribution matters in a family if they don't work? Isn't making a difference one of those human needs? Sorry, just really thinking out loud on this one.

I'm with you on your musings.

In high school, I was involved in extracurriculars and began working in retail at 16. Prior to that I babysat often several times a week--I was the only teen in a neighborhood with several babies/toddlers so my income stream was steady from junior high on. That was manageable. In my case, however, I think that I worked too much in college. I had no choice since I was funding a significant portion of my expenses, but I was exhausted all of the time.

I think you are spot on when you mention that parents today spend significant time hauling children hither and yon to extracurriculars. This is along the same lines that I mentioned in the original post referring back to kids who scoop ice cream or bag groceries. Parents often seem to think that this is fine for another kid but not theirs, that they would rather have their kid go off to exotic places to study or perform charity work. Are we, as parents, more concerned about resume padding than basic lessons taught by a job, any job?

For several years now, my son has funded many of his 4-H activities via 4-H scholarships. Our local 4-H office rewards participation as well as merit. So kids who participate in some event may earn say $20 or $30 in their 4-H account, while earning $50 or more for gold medals in some events. It has brought him great pride that he can go off on a ski trip or retreat weekend without Mom and Dad having to write a check. He earned it honestly. There really is something to be said for that.

But all this reminds me of another situation, back when I was teaching at one of the state universities. I asked a failing student to come to my office to talk to me. She told me that she did not have time to do homework or study because of work. Why do you work so much, I asked. To pay for my car, she said. Why do you need a car, I asked. To get to work. This somehow made sense to her as though she was not an adult unless she had a car. There is a trap of materialism that I don't want my son to fall into--work to spend money on stuff that he really doesn't need when his time could be better spent on studying.

More to think about...

Jane

If my son, at 16, is hired by a business to be a webmaster/tech guy, doesn't that reflect positively to college admissions or is it somehow less valuable because it is a paid job?

I think it is what it is. No, I don't think it's less valuable because he's getting paid. All sorts of people get paid for apprenticeships, internships, etc. They still had the experience. What really decides the weight/worth is what he does with it and gets out of it versus what his needs are now and in the future. Like Jane mentioned, there are jobs in order to get money for "whatever," but there are also jobs offering life skills, job skills, practice using materials, etc. ANY job has value outside of money, of course, but some are more worthy than others generally and definitely for individuals based on what their needs are.

NONE of that experience factored in. Working "on the clock" for money...well, that was an excellent predictor variable.

That's really interesting. I have found that beginning around the age of 14/15 my boys do best when they are kept very busy. It seems that their test scores as well as class performance improves significantly when their schedule is full with academics as well as work. They apparently learn to be very wise with their time budget. They study more and I think their studying is more efficient and productive.

I am hoping my soon-to-be 16 year old will get a job at the Karate studio. They offered him one over a year ago, but he was too afraid to take it (Oh gosh, I might have to answer phones.) He has done lawns (some) and lots of snow shoveling - last winter was a huge moneymaker for him. I have told him that we are not paying for any more scout outings - he has to earn the money for them. He is not a spender, but much of it would go for things like scouts and a new Karate uniform and, perhaps, gas and insurance when he gets his license.

Now that he is a blackbelt and he spends considerable time there anyway, I do hope that he can make arrangements to work for pay. If that doesn't work out, we have a small shopping center within walking distance. Two of the stores hire lots of teens from the area - I think every teen on our block has worked there at one point or another. The grocery store and the drug store close at 8pm, which would be fantastic. We are early to bed, early to rise kind of people and I don't want my kids working late.

All of our kids so far have begun working at 15. With our first two, we let them work way too much; probably 15-20 hours per week. With our third we kept tighter control and she worked much less. Probably about 10 hours per week or less. It's hard to say for sure, she mostly babysat and cleaned houses and such. But the schedule was more manageable for sure. During the summer between her junior and senior year she worked two jobs, probably about 25 hours per week and took a college class. That was pretty rough. This past summer she was on staff at Boy Scout Camp for six weeks.

I think she is pretty well rounded. She did well getting into college and she knows how to manage money and what money is really worth in terms of the labor that goes into a dollar.

She was able to work, do well enough in school to be one of 15 students accepted into the scholar's program at her college, play flute, volunteer as mentor to a child, volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center, volunteer on Teen Court, be in 4H (though not very well the last two years of high school) and help around the house a bit (though not by cleaning her room, ever).

There is a trap of materialism that I don't want my son to fall into--work to spend money on stuff that he really doesn't need when his time could be better spent on studying.

More to think about...

Jane

This is probably what keeps my dd from being more motivated to get a job. She's just not motivated material-wise - but then I know we provide more for her than our parents did in terms of extracurriculars - but my sibs and I weren't as interested in outside activities either.

She did try to get a job this summer, the manager of a frame shop still says he will hire her "when he gets his summer budget approved":lol: Our family joke is that he meant summer 2010.

When we lived in Houston I remember being aghast that the high school started at 7:30 after middle school started at 9:00 (what an adjustment). I get they have to stagger the bus schedule, but another explanation I heard for the early start time was so the high schoolers could go to their after school jobs.

I know my high school academic schedule wasn't nearly as rigorous as my dd's is. I'm not sure where she would fit in a p/t job but dh wants her to work before going to college so she'll probably push harder to get something next summer.

Just musing along with you.

My 16yo is in school, plays basketball and runs cross country, and wants a job, but his father won't let him get one. What he does instead is work for people he knows. For example, my father needed a laborer on a recent job, so he used my ds (who earned about $75 for the day.) He is also going to remove and replace the insulation under the house for him, also for pay. There is another plumber that uses him sometimes. The best thing for him is learning all these great skills (and everytime that he has to do a hard manual labor job, he tells us how he IS going to college!:D)

My 11yo is a different kid. He makes tons of money doing various things - cutting grass and other landscaping jobs, fixing things for people, and finding things, fixing them, and selling them. Right now he is working on a concrete finisher that he hopes will net him $300-400. He has to pay for all his own Boy Scout activities, uniforms, etc. I plan to make him start saving more - he spends way too much, but he has bought some interesting things!

Maybe it is because we are a little more blue collar than most here, but it is very important to me that they learn these practical skills, how to work hard in the sun, etc. as well as academics. I also expect that they will earn money to follow their passions, whatever they may be. I stress working for one's self and doing "side work" over minimum wage hourly jobs simply because they can make more money in a shorter amount of time.

My ds was too busy for a job during high school. He played 2 competitive, time consuming sports, went to ps and took AP and advanced classes. He also needed a lot of sleep. Since graduating from high school he has worked 2 summers as a camp counselor and they have been wonderful growth experiences. He was able to get a large tuition scholarship at college so he is not working there either. My dd has more free time and doesn't need much sleep so if she wanted a part time job I would let her.

My 16yo is in school, plays basketball and runs cross country, and wants a job, but his father won't let him get one. What he does instead is work for people he knows. For example, my father needed a laborer on a recent job, so he used my ds (who earned about $75 for the day.) He is also going to remove and replace the insulation under the house for him, also for pay. There is another plumber that uses him sometimes. The best thing for him is learning all these great skills (and everytime that he has to do a hard manual labor job, he tells us how he IS going to college!:D)

My 11yo is a different kid. He makes tons of money doing various things - cutting grass and other landscaping jobs, fixing things for people, and finding things, fixing them, and selling them. Right now he is working on a concrete finisher that he hopes will net him $300-400. He has to pay for all his own Boy Scout activities, uniforms, etc. I plan to make him start saving more - he spends way too much, but he has bought some interesting things!

Maybe it is because we are a little more blue collar than most here, but it is very important to me that they learn these practical skills, how to work hard in the sun, etc. as well as academics. I also expect that they will earn money to follow their passions, whatever they may be. I stress working for one's self and doing "side work" over minimum wage hourly jobs simply because they can make more money in a shorter amount of time.

Renee, I think there is much wisdom in your approach. It's hard for me to articulate but I think my dc, or at least my boys would be better served following a similar path than the one we have run down for years-lots of activities and very little "work".

I would love for my teen to work.

As soon as she turned 16yo, she filled out and turned in applications for the Sonic, Moonies, Subway, and Popeye's that are just a 20 minute walk from our house. Sonic actually interviewed her, but nothing else happened. She called back several times (one week apart), but after a full month of hearing that they hadn't made a decision yet and weren't sure when they would be making a decision, she stopped calling.

This summer she filled out and turned in applications for Baskin-Robbines, Smoky Mo's, and Whataburger. Those are around a 60 minute walk from our house, but she can get there in 20 minutes on her electric scooter. They are also just a 5 minute walk from the cc campus. None of them were hiring at the time.

She has expanded her search to places about a 10 minute walk from the cc campus. She's not at all enthused about filling out the applications though. She doesn't think anything is going to happen no matter how many applications she does.

So far I have limited her to places she can get to whether I'm available to drive her or not. That way she doesn't have to be tied to my schedule. If she'll just get these applications out, I'll give them one month before letting her push her search further. The problem with pushing things any further out is that she can't get there on her own.

One of the reasons I see teens doing side jobs is so that the income stays 'off the books' and doesn't affect their college financial aid. Is this common in your area?

That is not our intentions at all and I have never heard of that. I want them to do side jobs to make more than $7.25 an hour. Part of learning to run a business is filing and paying taxes.

My oldest is only 12 so working outside our home is still a few years away.

I worked part-time from the age of 14, and will definately encourage my kids to do like-wise. I see tremendous benefits in learning to be responsible in a working environment and the development of certain skills. I think the type of employment is important, though. Fast food type jobs have a limited value in my opinion. I will encourge a broad range of experiences via employment.

As a kid some of my jobs:

babysitting

corn de-tasseling

car hop (drive-in A&W food stand)

fry cook (same drive-in)

gopher in a lawyer's office

waitress in a chinese resturant

assistant in the president's office at the university I attended as a freshman (work-study job)

movie theatre usher

bar maid (pub in the UK)

bartender in NYC

nanny in NYC

I had all of these jobs between the ages of 12 and 22. In those years I also had traveled from Minnesota to London to a small town in Scotland and then to NYC. I had a world of work experience before I entered the "real" world work force, and I definately benefited from those experiences. The transition to a corporate job at the age of 22 was an absolute breeze.

I guess the 20 thousand dollar question is did all those jobs, experiences, and the travel detract from my academics, and the answer is - yes. I never graduated from college, although I have enough credits from various institutions (Macalester, UChicago, St. John's, City College) to have earned a degree several times over if those credits where dispersed properly. My parents both passed when I was a teen, so I had zero financial support from about the age of 16.

My sons obviously won't travel the same path as I did. I do want them more focused. We will be capable of providing both the financial and emotional support they'll need. But, I still see real benefits to to working and experiencing the working world as well as the academic path.

My oldest will most likely become a life-guard in the next two years, so he'll start there.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
sp

I would love for my teen to work.

As soon as she turned 16yo, she filled out and turned in applications for ...

None of them were hiring at the time.

She's not at all enthused about filling out the applications though. She doesn't think anything is going to happen no matter how many applications she does.

I sympathize, Angie. My daughter also filled out job applications this summer and was unsuccessful in finding a job (other than a one hour per week tutoring session). She had worked the previous three summers at a local organic farm that is run by the food bank. That farm is worked by teens with priority hiring given to those from low income or at risk backgrounds. (It was an education in itself!) Unfortunately, she could not be hired for a fourth summer as they wished to give some other teens a chance.

We live in an area with exceedingly high unemployment (well over the national level); I believe that many of the jobs that were typically staffed by teens are now going to older workers.

Good luck to your daughter in her job search.

Regards,

Kareni

Jane, this has been an interesting thread to read - thanks for starting it. It has given me a lot to think about.

I can see that there are those who: 1. prioritize academics, 2. balance academics with part-time jobs, and 3. balance academics with "side work". And all for various good reasons. Right now I'm thinking we will probably prioritize academics, but add in "side work" as we find opportunity and time. If our kids want to go to university, they will likely have to find scholarships and use their own earnings, so I want them to have some experience with finding more unusual opportunities to earn more money in a smaller amount of time (as opposed to a minimum wage job), and gain some type of valuable experience (business skills, etc.).

Fascinating thread!

None of our kids have "worked" (for pay) during the school year. Their "job" is excelling at school, pursuing their extracurricular interests, and volunteering. They have all volunteered on a regular basis 3-5 hours per week at local museums.

During the summers my kids have worked and have not worked, depending on the jobs available and the other opportunities that were open to them. We have been blessed -- numerous opportunities that have been relevant to my kids' interests have opened up for them, such as receiving a scholarship to cover the cost of soloing in an airplane.

My older two kids do have jobs at college (5 or so hours per week). Both have jobs that are relevant to their majors and we want them to develop the ability to juggle many responsibilities.

A woman once told me, "If you want to ask someone to do something, find a busy person."

That's really interesting. I have found that beginning around the age of 14/15 my boys do best when they are kept very busy. It seems that their test scores as well as class performance improves significantly when their schedule is full with academics as well as work. They apparently learn to be very wise with their time budget. They study more and I think their studying is more efficient and productive.

Honestly, I don't know that any of my kids will ever be able, financially, to simply attend college, without working. Like so many other aspects of life, I kind of want to prepare them for what their reality is going to be, then, by hinting at it, now.

So...if they'll need to budget study/work/down time in college (and really, in life afterwards, too), then I think it makes sense for them to begin to do it, now.

And they need money for some of the stuff they want to do, now, also. And there's five of them, lol. (Translation: Mom and Dad aren't going to foot the bill for everything you want to do/buy.) So, they earn it. (As of now, neither of the older kids has a steady job, but they do odd things here and there, as someone else mentioned. Yard work, pet-sitting, etc. I'm not opposed to them getting a steady job, and the oldest is currently trying to do just that--her younger brother still isn't old enough--but I do like that they have the flexibility to schedule activities, volunteering, etc., as they do now, by picking up work here and there.)

That's the practical reasoning. My philosophical reasoning is that I want learning to be a lifelong pursuit, and much of the way I structure our homeschool is meant to find ways to encourage that. I know it may sound counter-intuitive, but minimizing it, to a certain extent, is part of that process for me. Short lesson times, short academic days, not considering school a child's "job"...all of these are connected in my mind with integrating learning into life, and making it a marathon, not something we burn out on, if that makes sense. (And I'm not intimating that this is the right way/answer for everyone, just our particular family.)

This is an interesting thread. Glad it was started!

here in Geneva, at the 10th grade level a fair number of students peel off the academic track and go into apprenticeships...so they are getting work experience right away (3 days a week - school 2) There there are "commerce" high schools which lead to various jobs, but don't have regular apprenticeship schedules, but will do an internship for 4 months, probably 2x during the 3-4 years...

Then there is the academic track which is supposed to lead to college and these students are mostly studying....jobs for this group during high school are pretty uncommon. Even sports are fairly uncommon as they are not linked with the school here. (This might be why people don't have that same "school spirit" mentality that is common in the US).

My oldest two did "attend" schools for high school here. The second did not know of anyone in his graduating class of 50 who had a job during the school year. The oldest (not home at the moment) cannot answer, but I never knew of any of his friends to have a job. Maybe some of the girls did babysitting. (He was in a different school than ds2)....

Even in the summers it is less common.

Last summer, two ds started a little "handyman" type of business and got some work, but not much....

Now ds2 will do a little tutoring during uni, but his schedule is so full with classes (30 hours of class - I would like to compare with some engineering students in the US - is this common?) plus 12 1/2 hours transport plus studying, eating, etc leaves no time for play or anything else....

That is our experience here....

here in Geneva, at the 10th grade level a fair number of students peel off the academic track and go into apprenticeships...so they are getting work experience right away (3 days a week - school 2) There there are "commerce" high schools which lead to various jobs, but don't have regular apprenticeship schedules, but will do an internship for 4 months, probably 2x during the 3-4 years...

Then there is the academic track which is supposed to lead to college and these students are mostly studying....jobs for this group during high school are pretty uncommon. Even sports are fairly uncommon as they are not linked with the school here. (This might be why people don't have that same "school spirit" mentality that is common in the US).

My oldest two did "attend" schools for high school here. The second did not know of anyone in his graduating class of 50 who had a job during the school year. The oldest (not home at the moment) cannot answer, but I never knew of any of his friends to have a job. Maybe some of the girls did babysitting. (He was in a different school than ds2)....

Even in the summers it is less common.

Last summer, two ds started a little "handyman" type of business and got some work, but not much....

Now ds2 will do a little tutoring during uni, but his schedule is so full with classes (30 hours of class - I would like to compare with some engineering students in the US - is this common?) plus 12 1/2 hours transport plus studying, eating, etc leaves no time for play or anything else....

That is our experience here....

I wish, wish, wish we had the option here in the U.S. for less academics and more apprenticeships after 10th grade. I think that so many more kids would actually stay in school and graduate if this was an option. No, vocational education isn't for everyone, but it is *vital* for those who won't go to a 4 year college. It seems that attitude is that *everyone* should go to college and graduation requirements are changing to reflect that.

That's the practical reasoning. My philosophical reasoning is that I want learning to be a lifelong pursuit, and much of the way I structure our homeschool is meant to find ways to encourage that. I know it may sound counter-intuitive, but minimizing it, to a certain extent, is part of that process for me. Short lesson times, short academic days, not considering school a child's "job"...all of these are connected in my mind with integrating learning into life, and making it a marathon, not something we burn out on, if that makes sense. (And I'm not intimating that this is the right way/answer for everyone, just our particular family.)

This is an interesting thread. Glad it was started!

Wise words, Jill. :001_smile:

I wish, wish, wish we had the option here in the U.S. for less academics and more apprenticeships after 10th grade. I think that so many more kids would actually stay in school and graduate if this was an option. No, vocational education isn't for everyone, but it is *vital* for those who won't go to a 4 year college. It seems that attitude is that *everyone* should go to college and graduation requirements are changing to reflect that.

There aren't many homeschooling here, but from that pool, "many" (here in CH = 20?, just a guess) have gone into apprenticeships after 9th grade. Apprenticeships are not looked down on and there is great variety. (France is not at all the same).

I have heard of some people in the US getting apprenticeships with friends of the family...

But back to working while studying (sorry Jane)...I realized that I didn't say what I thought...ds has "class" (at home) from 7:30 to 4:30 (to get in 3 languages ++) (that could mislead you - here English is a language so that is one of them) ...most stores close at 6 or 7 pm (things quiet down early here). Other things close before that. I don't know where he'd be able to work actually...then there is track (one evening and Sat for 2 hours), then there are chores at home, then he runs on his own, tends his garden....I would like to get some volunteer work in, but even that (from how people just are in their own homes in the evening and the city shuts down) would be hard to do...(We have elderly neighbors we help sometimes).

I guess I'm quite affected by the mentality here and tend to emphasize studies. Recently, when discussing why university here is so different than in the US, (almost no electives but lasts 3 years), I was told that students are to do their "liberal arts" education in high school. So my son should have that kind of exposure while in high school...

Edited by Joan in Geneva
add info

A woman once told me, "If you want to ask someone to do something, find a busy person."

I started this thread before reading an essay in the Wall Street Journal on the "Myth of the Over Scheduled Child". Some of you may be interested in that essay or the responses that it generated on the General Board. In case you missed it, click here.

My dc have worked some during the school year - starting in 11th grade. With my ds this was not a good idea. School work didn't get done like it should have and I won't go into the rest. He is taking a 1 semester break and starting college in January. My dd mainly did babysitting and some other outside work. This summer she got a job at a retail store that she loves and they said she could continue part time during the school year. Last week they told her that they needed her to be full time and she could fit school in around that. Uh, no! I still can't believe they really expected that! So she is quitting and starting a jewelery business as well as doing some babysitting.

Veronica

My dc have worked some during the school year - starting in 11th grade. With my ds this was not a good idea.

I mentioned in my response that while our approach is what's needed/believed best for our family, it might not be for everyone's.

I think it's worthwhile to mention that there could be a variety of needs even within families, for individual children. Someone might be able to work a good deal and still maintain a certain level of schoolwork, someone else might not be able to do that.

My goal is to have children who will be able to handle working while going to college. But if someone has to ramp up to that, a little slower than the others, I want to be sure that I'm sensitive to that.

I don't consider school a child's "job", at any stage of their development, but I do believe that this time in life for them represents a unique opportunity to focus more on academics than they might get a chance to in later years, and I want to be sure we take advantage of that.