Menu

Anyone heard of American School Correspondence?

Or something like that? I really need to pass the bean dip to my mom sometimes. She was talking to someone on a train in PA(?) who uses it and thinks I need to look into it.

OH! The bean dip isn't b/c of American School Correspondence. I know nothing about it! The bean dip is for all the normal bean dip reasons. I just want to know if someone has an opinion on it.

I have a friend whose son (now working and in community college) used American School for high school. It is one of the oldest high school correspondence programs around. It uses textbooks and follows a traditional course of high school study. They were pretty pleased with it. He said he wished there had been better writing prep, but I understand that since he completed the program more writing courses have been added.

http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/

I'm responding mostly because I want you to get some responses. But I hesitated because it's been quite a few years since we used American School (7 or 8 years, I guess). I know the program has changed since then, so I can't really presume to comment on it with any authority.

We used the program for only a couple of years, and neither of our sons stuck with it long enough to earn their diploma. We initially chose AS because of circumstances that made their accredited diploma helpful to us. But those circumstances changed soon after we signed on with AS. Some aspects of the program were satisfactory, some were not. Overall, it didn't really fit our needs academically or practically. Both of our sons were relatively satisfied with AS, but that's because I was the one who handled all the interaction with the school and solved all the problems. In the end, it was I who made the decision to drop AS in favor of other avenues that better suited our needs. I hope that you get some input from others with more recent experience with the program.

American School is okay for a basic education. They have changed fairly recently so maybe will be better than before, but traditionally, it's been just a basic education. The program is easy and many students finish in just 1.5 to 2.5 years. Many people who use it flesh out their homeschooling with other requirements so the child gets a fuller education. But they do guarantee that your student will be able to pass a basic college entrance test or they'll send him materials for free until he can. And for those who want a diploma program, it is accredited regionally (big 6).

And it's CHEAP.

A lot of people like that it's independent also.

We considered it in order to get the official diploma so our daughter could more easily go to college early. Circumstances changed and we just wanted better for her. She still went to college a little early, just not as much early. And she got a solid education with almost twice as many credits as she would have had with Am. School (again, I believe their requirements have changed so that wouldn't still be the case, I don't think).

Now I can tell my mom to pass the bean dip. The program I'm putting together is more rigorous that this one.

And I don't want to say goodbye to my kids at all let alone early! (I know they will leave the nest, but I'm still in the stick my head in the sand approach. I have most of 4 years left!)

Thanks!