Menu

What activities and/or groups are your high schoolers joining for the purpose of...

scholarship opportunities as well as the experience? For example, is your teen signing up to do XYZ because it's a good experience AND it can result in scholarship money? I'm curious about how you choose your teen's working and volunteering (and social/educational) activities.

My teen has limited time but wants to focus on the few meaningful activities that will help him as a person and in moving forward with his education.

We are looking at long-term volunteer positions for dc. When I inteviewed for scholarships, my 5 years as a hospital volunteer and awards there were definitely a huge plus. Then when I worked in admissions and did scholarships interviews, I saw the same thing. Anything volunteer and anything long-term were assets. We always looked for well-rounded students for scholarships: a musical instrument or other art, a sport or hobby, a club of some sort (academic, scouts, etc.,) and a volunteer role or cause they were involved in.

We started oldest dd out at 12 yo volunteering at dh's school with children with developmental delays, physical handicaps, and autism. She is doing some other short-term voluntary things, but that is the one we will keep up until graduation. She has also played the same musical instrument for years and uses this to get involved. We want her to do something to the point of getting awards and using it in the community (she plays at church, nursing homes, etc.) Both of these help her learn and grow immensely, but they will also look great when she is looking at colleges.

scholarship opportunities as well as the experience? For example, is your teen signing up to do XYZ because it's a good experience AND it can result in scholarship money? I'm curious about how you choose your teen's working and volunteering (and social/educational) activities.

My teen has limited time but wants to focus on the few meaningful activities that will help him as a person and in moving forward with his education.

I guess just about everything my twins do are good experiences and help with scholarships.

All my kids are in Kung Fu (Dd14 competes so this looks good on a application plus opportunity for maritial art sports scholarships).

Our 14yr old twins joined the Civil Air Patrol http://www.ilcap.org/

...very good experience and opens many possible doors for their futures/education.

Our boys are on bowling league and as long as they are sanctioned continously till start college... they earn scholarship money every year (amount based on if they participates in tournaments or not). So far Ds14 has about $250, Ds10 and Ds8 both have around $75 each.

Dd14 wants to major in music and she has plans for her teen band this year -LOL.

Edited by AnitaMcC