Menu

Religious Studies

DD has always been very interested in religion. She isn't religious herself but she's always interested in people's beliefs. Her dad's side of the family are catholic, though she attended a church of england school when she was younger. She's interested in learning more about the differences between the two and she's interested in Judaism too. She's taking a religious studies GCSE this year too, and these are more than likely the religons she will choose to study. I've no doubt she'll continue learning about relgions past GCSE level either. It's always been something that's interested her. So basically, any advice? It'd also be brilliant if they were available on the Amazon UK site but it's not 100% necessary. Thank you :]

Many comparison type books are going to be biased one way or the other; the purpose of the writing is to persuade. For a comparative look I think anything by Huston Smith is a balanced place to start. He also wrote "Why Religion Matters". I have heard it is great (but though it is on my bookshelf I have yet to read it).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_3_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=comparitive+religion&sprefix=comparitive+ All three of these look excellent and I plan to read the text by Sharma. Search comparitive religion for the type of material you seek. You sound as if you are interested in an academic sense rather than a proseltysing/persuading text. I also think Huston Smith is good. Religious anthropology will yield some fascinating choices but I would start with those written by scholars for an introductory adult audience and mover on from there.