Menu

What would you call this?

Okay, as you might already know, we're actually British. So, over here in the UK we do things slightly differently in the fact that we just have 'maths'. We don't have Algebra I, Algebra I, Trig, Geometry, etc. We just have maths. So what would you call that on a transcript. Mathematics I, Advanced Subsidiary Mathematics & Advanced Level Mathematics?

DD will be taking her GCSE Maths exam in June. For that, you apparently need Algebra I, II and Geometry and DD will only be 15. So do we call it something that sounds more advanced than Mathematics I? AS & A Level mathematics are obviously British A Level mathematics and she'll be taking the exams too, obviously. She's capable of A Level maths now, I think but I don't want her to rush into it.

So basically, what would you recommend for a replacement to Mathematics I name-wise? Also, after she finishes A Level mathematics, what would you recommend as her last year of Mathematics since american colleges require four years? DD wants to get all these exams and such out of the way as soon as possible so she can enjoy the year she turns eighteen.

So any recommendations for naming that course and for her last year of mathematics? She's interested in Accounting, would that be an accepted mathematics course for her senior year?

Thanks, and sorry for rambling.

Jo

So what would you call that on a transcript. Mathematics I, Advanced Subsidiary Mathematics & Advanced Level Mathematics?

So basically, what would you recommend for a replacement to Mathematics I name-wise?

So any recommendations for naming that course

You might try sending a pm to a poster called Laura Corin, and link this thread so she'll see it. She's British and seems to be really up on this type of thing.

Hi,

Thanks a lot both of you. (: And Laura's been very helpful with textbooks and stuff but I think her sons are quite at high school age yet? I'm not 100% sure on that though.

Intergrated is probably a good idea. Would I put Integrated Maths III however because she's covered most of while in school or since she's come home and will only really need one year before she starts AS maths.

I think however, I might have gotten around the transcript. The international common app section just asks us to list school-leaving exams, not all our subjects so I think we should be okay but thank you so much for all your help!

Jo