Menu

Ambleside or Robinson ...

... or something else ... please tell me I am not the only one waffling ... trying to decide what to use for high school ...

I want to start September 8th so I REALLY need to make a decision here.

I am so confused. :001_huh:

Well, if cost is a factor, Ambleside is a great option since most of the materials may be found online for free, or you may check out many of the lit books from the library. Many who use AO use the MEP math program, which is also free. Also, AO provides weekly schedules which are a big help.

I am not familiar with Robinson, only with AO.

Not to add to your confusion, but another website to look at is Old Fashioned Education. It is set up in a similar fashion to AO and is also free for the most part. I have used resources from both AO and OFE. Don't forget to check out Librivox also to see if any of the great lit books have been recorded there. Great for listening to as read alouds or putting on an mp3 player for car rides, etc.

http://oldfashionededucation.com/

http://librivox.org/

Waffling with you but over Ambleside or TOG. Two totally different theories toward education.

We've settled on TOG only for the teacher's notes and the fact that that's what we're all used to.

I will play around with the AO suggestions for nature study, their apologetics rec's look good too, and try to do some of Ourselves readings.

I need too much handholding for high school so AO scared me. Plus jumping into that type of reading requirement looked tough. It would have been fine, I'm sure but a schedule with work assigned at this point of my hs'ers life is definitely my friend.

I do have all the AO books for years 2 and 4 for youngers, and all the books for TOG unit 1 Year 2.

So be assured you're not alone.

I am not familiar with Robinson, but I think that Ambleside looks great! I cull regularly from their reading lists, though we are in such a different place sequence-wise the actual laid out program doesn't work for us.

So since you asked, I say go with Ambleside. There, do you feel better now?! LOL!

For what it's worth, we have used Ambleside as our main curriculum for nine years. I have four children from 14yrs down to 7. On their yahoo group they have, under files, a breakdown of the schedule, what books to read, what chapters to cover each week. I follow this pretty tightly for K-8 grades, then for high school we choose from the "salad bar" of book options. They also have a document in files that breaks down how all their choices cover high school credits. I think it is a pretty amazing resource.

JMHO!

Kerry Wall

www.noellethemovie.com

I am not familiar with Robinson, but I think that Ambleside looks great! I cull regularly from their reading lists, though we are in such a different place sequence-wise the actual laid out program doesn't work for us.

So since you asked, I say go with Ambleside. There, do you feel better now?! LOL!

... after looking over their website more, I was leaning toward Ambleside. Yes, I feel much better. LOL Thanks! :D

For what it's worth, we have used Ambleside as our main curriculum for nine years. I have four children from 14yrs down to 7. On their yahoo group they have, under files, a breakdown of the schedule, what books to read, what chapters to cover each week. I follow this pretty tightly for K-8 grades, then for high school we choose from the "salad bar" of book options. They also have a document in files that breaks down how all their choices cover high school credits. I think it is a pretty amazing resource.

JMHO!

Kerry Wall

www.noellethemovie.com

I appreciate your input. This does help.