What's with the ads?

Photo

Any Stellar Preschool Resource/Workbook Suggestions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 catherine smith

catherine smith

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good preschool workbook? I like the Kumon ones, but they seem a little pricey, are they worth it? Any experience with the Critical Thinking Co. Preschool materials?
Thanks!

#2 Shelly in the Country

Shelly in the Country

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

The Big Preschool Workbook from School Zone is my all-time favorite. They are very colorful and have a variety of different sheets. They are a good value for the money.

#3 Crimson Wife

Crimson Wife

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14019 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:15 PM

I like the Core Knowledge "What Your Preschooler Needs to Know" activity book. It is completely secular, however, so you'd need to supplement with a Bible or other catechism book if religion is important to your family.

#4 TracyR

TracyR

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3157 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

Not sure if your willing to go with a Christian curriclum but Rod and Staff has the Preschool Series and its a really nice program. Nice little workbooks that preschoolers can work it, and its inexpensive.
We have the Kumon books too

#5 Aletheia Academy

Aletheia Academy

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

I like the School Zone book and the R&S books mentioned by pp's and agree that they are good values. My dd *loves* workbooks. :D

#6 LadyAberlin

LadyAberlin

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2854 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:47 AM

I like the Big Skills workbooks. They have more pgs than Kumon and are similar. It works out cheaper because of them having more pgs. Plus I found the whole set at Costco for half price. http://www.timberdoo...6_p/332-400.htm

I also got the Beginning Mathematical Reasoning book from Critical thinking company. I started the kinder one with my ds5 and I will start the 3 yr old one with my younger one as soon as we finish hooked on math learn to count. They look really good.

#7 SilverMoon

SilverMoon

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5842 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

I just get the big fat one from Costco. Comprehensive Curriculum? My little ones love their workpages, and it spares my printer ink. :)

#8 NicA

NicA

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:22 PM

My dd has loved the kumon workbooks, and it has helped with her cutting and coloring skills. I just bought some from Amazon recently, and they have a 4 for 3 promotion going on right now. You would get 4 for $21, which isn't too bad. She also really likes the preschool Explode the Code books. They are around $7, I believe.

#9 FlutterbyMommy

FlutterbyMommy

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:58 PM

We tried one of the big prep style ones from Costco last year. It was ok, but my DD was bored. It didn't have enough consistently challenging work, more filler/fluff.

We have had very good success with Kumon. I think it is because we can choose by topic and level. Being able to get specific gives us a more successful selection to tailor to my daughter.

Although they may be a little extra, I think Kumon are a good vale considering the fun and results. My DD loves the maze, cutting, pasting, and folding books. We have had less success with tracing books for letters and numbers, which I think is due to my daughters weak grip and perfectionism.... that is another story.

#10 lovelearnandlive

lovelearnandlive

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2331 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:02 AM

I second the Rod and Staff Preschool books. They are only $3 each. We use those and some Kumon books. We especially like the sticker and paste, cut paper, and connect the dots.

#11 catherine smith

catherine smith

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

wow, thanks so much all. My daughter is 2 1/2, am I starting to young for these types of workbooks? I'm sure it is somewhat child depend, but what's your experience been as a good age to start?

#12 LadyAberlin

LadyAberlin

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2854 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:30 PM

wow, thanks so much all. My daughter is 2 1/2, am I starting to young for these types of workbooks? I'm sure it is somewhat child depend, but what's your experience been as a good age to start?

Big Skills and Kumon start at age 2 so you are fine using them at her age. The rod and staff you will want to hold off on because that is better for an older 3 or 4 yr old since it is actually their kindergarten.

#13 SilverMoon

SilverMoon

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5842 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:31 PM

I start workbooks when they're able to ask for their own school work in complete sentences. *shrug* With a 2yo? I'd just hand her some blank paper and crayons for now. :) Maybe an occasional coloring book to go with it. Water colors. Story time at the library or children's museum.

There were a few ideas of things to focus on in one of the early chapters of TWTM, you might give that chapter another read. :)

#14 lovelearnandlive

lovelearnandlive

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2331 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:38 PM

I agree, start with some of the Kumon books. Here is a link to some of their First Steps books that would be perfect for a 2.5 yo. I think the first Rod and Staff book could be started around her 3rd b-day, and then you could slowly work through them over a year or two.

You could also just draw some lines, shapes, etc. on paper and have her trace them or color and cut them out. I do that with my 3yo in a pinch. :D

#15 StephanieZ

StephanieZ

Child Wrangler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5397 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:47 PM

For reading readiness, I like the get ready for the code, get set for the code, go for the code books for pre-s.

I also like the Zaner Bloser handwriting page you can print off the enchanted learning website.

I also like the Early Bird math books from Singapore Math.

Other than that, I just love lots of hands-on math games (Peggy Kaye's books are great for ideas), free play with art materials, learning manipulatives (puzzles, games, blocks, etc.)

What's with the ads?