Menu

When to take the PSAT/NMSQT National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test

Guest Tracyj

Guest Tracyj

I read in The Well Trained Mind that it is a good idea to wait until 11th grade to take the PSAT if you think your student might qualify as a National Merit Scholar. Susan Wise Bauer gave no further explaination for her suggestion. Can anyone explain to me her reasoning? Does she know something "behind the scenes" that makes it less likely to qualify if you have taken the test in 10th grade vs. 11th grade? Any help would be appreciated. Or maybe there is already a thread on this subject that someone can guide me to.

students must be 11th graders to have their scores count/qualify for scholarships. For many, it is preferrable to start earlier to practice the test.

Also, some use the test to fulfill state requirements for annual testing or progress reports.

HTH

lisaj

---

Everyone seems to have a different opinon on this topic and it really comes down to knowing your student.

I started both of my girls taking the PSAT as 9th graders. Familiarity with the actual exam in the actual timed setting was very valuable.

Both of my daughters have advanced on to National Merit semi-finalists by the time they took it as 11th graders.

Do what is right and best for your students.

***Edit to say that it is ONLY the 11th grade sitting for the exam that has the potential for qualifying the student for National Merit recognition. All previous years would only be for practice.

Edited by Jan in MO

:iagree:

I had my dd take it as a sophmore as a practice run and then take it as a junior to qualify. I strongly encourage parents to consider having their child take it at least in their sophmore year if not earlier. National Merit was not on our radar at all but we were amazed at the scholarship money she has qualified for.

If you take it more than once, will they get all your scores? I wonder if this is why she said not to take it as practice. I wondered if it would ruin the chances if they saw you had taken it previously with low scores.

Nope. National Merit Corporation will only see the scores from the 11th grade exam sitting.

Even most public and private schools have at least their 10th graders take the PSAT for practice. At least that is true for the schools around here.

I do recommend taking the PSAT as a sophomore as a dry run.

But -- my oldest took it for the first (and only) time her junior year, and she became a NM Scholar. A dry run is definitely not required.

I just learned today that the private school my older kids took the PSAT at has no more spaces for outside students. Ds is first on the waiting list. :001_huh: He cannot take the exam through the local public schools because it only is offered on Saturday there and ds has a conflict on Saturday -- a kite competition! :D So unless one of the other local private school can accommodate him on Wednesday, he will take it for the first time his junior year.

Is is our desire? NO! But it's not the end of the world.

We started in the 7th grade. The test is cheap at $15. We didn't put any pressure on the student other than do his best. We were pleasantly surprised with the results.

Our public schools here let anyone join the fun but NOW is the time to contact them because they are placing their orders in the next few weeks.

Be sure to get the test booklet either at the time of the test or make arrangements to get it after the Saturday administration. When you receive the scores it will include a complete list of answers to every question. Your student can then see their mistakes and areas that need improvement.