Menu

College search book recommendations?

Currently the one I am finding most helpful is Rugg's Guide to Colleges. He has selected the best schools in each major and divided them up in lists of something like very selective, more selective, selective (I don't remember the exact titles). He has other ways he presents his lists too but I found it a very good starting point for looking at colleges that I was not even aware of before. My dd wants to go to a small to medium school in a not cold place and this helped me find suitable schools that had her potential majors and were well regarded in those majors. With her that was essential since she is looking at majors that almost all liberal art colleges and universities do have like biology, political science, and psychology.

I will continue to use this for a while but then I will switch to ones that describe atmosphere and learning environments more.

I read Lauren Pope's Colleges That Change Lives. It made me re-think what I was looking for in a school.

We found a lot of possible matches by going to one of the National College Fair shows. This also helped me plan ahead what type of documentation we might be required to have.

We ended up applying to 5 schools and visiting 3. It was a tough choice, coincidentally the college she chose was listed in Pope's book.

We've used the website of ISI - Intercollegiate Studies Institute as well as both the guides mentioned already here by kareni, I think.

Choosing the Right College and All American Colleges.

ISI provides gooooood info if you are interested in choosing a school with strong liberal arts and core curriculum and would like insider info on conservative/liberal bent in particular schools.

ISI is always updating and provides new reviews periodically - you can purchase up to date reviews online.

HTH!

Jo