Menu

About homemade crushed tomatoes...

I use a lot of canned crushed tomatoes, but my store quit carrying them. :confused:

On the other hand, a friend just brought me tons of fresh tomatoes that have to go quickly.

I've seen directions for home canning crushed tomatoes, but I prefer to freeze. Anyone do this? Is there anything in particular I should know before proceeding?

I use a lot of canned crushed tomatoes, but my store quit carrying them. :confused:

On the other hand, a friend just brought me tons of fresh tomatoes that have to go quickly.

I've seen directions for home canning crushed tomatoes, but I prefer to freeze. Anyone do this? Is there anything in particular I should know before proceeding?

Are you sure they didn't just move them? Some stores keep them with the vegetables and some with the spaghetti sauce. I don't know much about freezing *or* canning tomatoes and am no help there, sorry.

Are you sure they didn't just move them? Some stores keep them with the vegetables and some with the spaghetti sauce. I don't know much about freezing *or* canning tomatoes and am no help there, sorry.

Nope, I'm sure. :(

I looked everywhere, asked, and was told that they are no longer carrying them, and that they have no control over which items they carry. Apparently that's decided by the higher ups. :confused:

How could they *not* carry crushed tomatoes?!! Actually, they *do* carry them, but only the italian pre-seasoned variety, and I just don't want those. It may be enough to drive me to another store, but that one's the cheapest in town.

ETA: I do intend to keep checking, though. Just in case the person I talked to was wrong.

I don't know the answer to your question about freezing fresh tomatoes, but I have made my own crushed tomatoes to save some money. Buy a can of whole tomatoes (cheaper here than diced or crushed) and just run it through the blender before adding to your recipe.

She said to blanche them in hot water, remove the skins, quarter them (slicing vertically into four pieces) and freeze them in plastic storage bags

:)

:iagree:This is exactly what I do. As a matter of fact, I'm using some from last year right now in some chili. I'm trying to clear out the freezer to get ready for this year's harvest!

We are doing a new thing this year (but this is only for tomato sauce). We use the food processor to grind up the tomatoes with their skins on (core removed). Saves so much time!

We don't do crushed tomatoes. I would peel the tomatoes as everyone indicated - make an "x" on the bottom of the tomato skin and dropping in boiling water for a minute and then in ice water. Then I would figure out how 'crushed' you want and what you need to accomplish that. Squeeze them? Chop them up? Whatever you do catch the juice and use it in making a sauce or strain it for homemade tomato juice.

This year we are freeze more of our things is canning jars with the new plastic lids. I would even put some juice in the package with the tomatoes.

• 1 year later...

I found this because I am wanting to cut down my use of cans!

Reason?

A study conducted by a coalition of consumer and food safety groups found detectable levels of BPA in 46 of 50 grocery store cans tested. The results suggest BPA routinely leaches from can linings into food.

For an article on this:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20100518/canned-food-may-expose-people-to-bpa

Anyway, I have been making my own crushed tomatoes (well, two times now. I just started this week!)

It was easy and now I am going to try and jar a few and freeze some as well.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000115.html

Good luck and I am thinking it is a good thing that your store does not have them!!

She said to blanche them in hot water, remove the skins, quarter them (slicing vertically into four pieces) and freeze them in plastic storage bags

:)

This is what I do. I use these ziploc vacuum freezer bags. Put the skinless tomatoes in the bags, then stick them in the freezer for a couple hours before trying to suck the air out. Otherwise, you'll be sucking out a lot of liquid and it gets messy.

41Dn0YtqPOL._SS500_.jpg

I have frozen tomatoes often. If you do crushed (just google for numerous ways of doing that and for seasoning advice), you may want to consider freezing them in small containers with premeasured amounts - say 1 or 2 cups. That is how I do it. I have however heard of at least one person that freezes his in large cubes (think 1-2 gallons in a bag) and then 'saws off' what he wants to use.

If you have canning jars but don't want to process, you may also freeze in those with tight lids but making certain you leave an 1 or more for expansion space at the top. I am afraid I would break them so I haven't tried that. My cousin said she is going to freeze hers in saved mayo jars and such this year but I am skeptical.