Menu

What do you do with ringworm that won't go away?

I've been very faithfully treating ringworm in one of my children, for way too long. She's had it for a few months, but this last month, I've been putting Lotrimin AF cream on there 2-3 times a day. Sometimes I think I see improvement, but then I think I'm imagining. We've also done tea tree oil soaks, and in the months before this last month, I'd tried Iodine.

What do I do with this? A few months ago, I called the dr, and they called me in a cream, that was gonna cost me like $80 after insurance. The pharmacist suggest I try Lamisil, instead. I did that one for awhile. Nothing is happening. But this last month, I've made absolute sure not to miss a day of putting the meds on.

Someone please give me a magic cure or something!!!

Thanks

I also have (what I think is athlete's foot) between two of my toes. It is being just as resistant. I've been treating it VERY faithfully for the last month. Including using tea tree oil. What is up? Anyone got any ideas that can help me?

My pharmacist recommended the generic (read: Wal-Mart's "equate" brand) "Antifungal" cream. It has Clotrimazole. The ringworm cleared up in less than 2 weeks and the cream was less than $3.00 a tube!!

The cream can be found in the athlete's foot, etc. area.

I have a fungussy kid & her ringworm took a long time to heal too. She was given a scrip for ketoderm - active ingredient ketoconazole; which is what's found in the OTC shampoo Nizoral.

She also used to have athlete's foot & she's still growing out a toenail fungus. Yeast likes this kid. I think it struck her during a growth spurt when she was slightly immuno compromised. She was also swimming a lot then & it just invaded her.....

Anyway - what I've found helped is :

-using the Nizoral shampoo as a body wash on the affected areas; if you can leave it on a bit before rinsing it's ideal (I know people on wrestling teams use it as a preventative body wash all the time)

-alternating through the antifungal creams; switch to a different active ingredient. There are a variety of OTC fungal creams. Look in the foot care & in the women's section. You can use the vaginal yeast creams too. Sometimes it's the same active ingredient & the vag ones are cheaper.

-being really diligent about washing the clothing & bedsheets & changing shoes frequently

-expose affected skin to sunshine (just a bit! We have very pale skin & there's skin cancer in our family so we're very cautious but a bit of sun is really helpful)

The ketoderm cream was cheap - maybe $10? See if you dr can order something cheaper for you to try.

I personally am wary of the oral antifungals so I'd wait it out a bit more.

I don't know how unusual this is, but DH had a spot that I thought was ringworm on his wrist. He tends to pick at any scabs or scales and it got infected with staph. He went to the dr when it broke open. The dr took scrapings to confirm it was staph. He's been treating it for at least 4 months with different antibiotic prescriptions.

Bottom line: if your DC has had ringworm for 3 months and you've tried multiple ringworm medications, get to a dr and have it tested.

One of dh's horror stories from growing up was the month when he & his siblings all had ringworms. Their Dr. kept prescribing anti-fungals, which did absolutely nothing.

What finally worked was topical iodine; the ringworms went away within a week.

I've been very faithfully treating ringworm in one of my children, for way too long. She's had it for a few months, but this last month, I've been putting Lotrimin AF cream on there 2-3 times a day. Sometimes I think I see improvement, but then I think I'm imagining. We've also done tea tree oil soaks, and in the months before this last month, I'd tried Iodine.

What do I do with this? A few months ago, I called the dr, and they called me in a cream, that was gonna cost me like $80 after insurance. The pharmacist suggest I try Lamisil, instead. I did that one for awhile. Nothing is happening. But this last month, I've made absolute sure not to miss a day of putting the meds on.

Someone please give me a magic cure or something!!!

Thanks

I also have (what I think is athlete's foot) between two of my toes. It is being just as resistant. I've been treating it VERY faithfully for the last month. Including using tea tree oil. What is up? Anyone got any ideas that can help me?

Did the doctor scrape the skin and look at it under a microscope? If not, that is the next step. It might not be ringworm, and this is the only real way to find out. My dd had this, and she was gone on a trip -- when she got home it had spread so far and so deep that topical creams did not begin to get rid of it. She had to take oral meds for it.

HTH,

Jean

Seconding both Jean's and Hornblower's advice.

My son had a persistent case of ringworm as a toddler on both arms. I had a line-up of different creams and a bottle of rubbing alcohol on his dresser. Ever couple hours I applied whatever was next in the line-up. The multi-tiered approach is what finally did the trick.

BUT I would also insist that your doctor confirm that it actually is ringworm under a microscope. You will want to rule out MRSA or other infections.

FYI: there is a form of eczema that looks like ring worm. If you have any cortisone cream around you may try it for a day and see if it makes a difference. If it is going to work you will notice a drastic difference in a day.

link with picture.

Thanks everyone!

We haven't actually been in to the Dr, I just called, and said, "My daughter has ringworm, could you call something in for her...."

I'm gonna try the cortisone, and the Nizoral, and if that doesn't work, maybe we need to go in.

Thanks

K.

How long should I give the nizoral?

Edited by KLynnTX

• 14 years later...

I HOPE THIS CAN HELP! if you wanna give it a try.

Hi, ive had recurrent ring worms on my body, i dont really get them often, but when i do its usually on the same spot. I have been frustrated for so long because i felt like ive done every remedy i could get my hands in to but nothing is really working, like it really takes a long time for it to heal and its really bothering me, so just a random thought that crossed my mind with doing some research to better understand ring worms, they thrive on moist environment right, and often its recommended to keep the affected area dry and clean on top of your medications, so i was thinking what better way to keep that area clean and dry than to actually blow dry it, i mean what could go wrong, right? so i did just that, and low and behold i think i just discovered the hack to getting rid of ring worms. Now i am not saying this is medically proven, but it worked for me twice already since i tried it. so what i basically do, after cleaning the affected area with soap and water (you can use fungal soap or whatever) and after i do that i wipe it clean then proceed to blow dry it. now its gonna feel this way, when you start to blow dry it, the area becomes very very very itchy, i kid you not. but you have to get through that phase until its gonna hurt because of the heat. when it becomes too much you can stop then repeat, until you feel its enough already you dont actually wanna burn yourself. i actually stop when i dont feel the itching anymore. youre gonna see a difference right after. i swear. when all of that is done i apply anti fungal cream. you will notice later on the area will now have red tiny dots. i do this once a day. and the next day or maybe two days after the affected area will now dry out, like it will slowly turn brown. and now when that happens just continue to apply your antifungal cream. i just repeat the process. usually 3 days and youre good. hope this helps out!!