Menu

Life of Fred (Beginning Alg.)--how much time for lessons?

My 8th grade ds will be using LoF Beginning Algebra this year, and I also want him to use Discovering Mathematics. Can anyone tell me how long a typical LoF lesson will take? They look pretty short, just at first glance. Is it too much to expect him to do two lessons in one session of about 1 hour?

Thanks!

A lot depends on how many pages of reading (before actually getting to the exercises) the lesson has. If I were using it in conjunction with another program, I think I would just do one lesson per day. There are only 108 lessons so he should complete it easily within the year. Sometimes my son would finish a lesson in under 20 minutes, other times it was closer to an hour. Definitely get the home companion book with the text.

A lot depends on how many pages of reading (before actually getting to the exercises) the lesson has. If I were using it in conjunction with another program, I think I would just do one lesson per day. There are only 108 lessons so he should complete it easily within the year. Sometimes my son would finish a lesson in under 20 minutes, other times it was closer to an hour. Definitely get the home companion book with the text.

:iagree: We did 1 lesson 3x per week for 36 weeks. They may look short, but the student has to think hard regularly.

We are finding we can cover some chapters in one day, others we need 3-4 days on and rely on the Home Companion to supplement..if we come upon a concept that needs additional time, we'll stick to that concept and create our own problems and work them out to make sure that he completely comprehends each concept...we are allowing a year for the program, but we may finish it in about 8 months at the rate we're going....

Tara

Yes.

DD has just started, with the HC, this week. My ds did it without the HC, though we had it. He and my dh spent some time together working on any problem areas. DD needs more structure though, so I think it will help her more if we use the HC! Thanks for your comments and answer!

DD has just started, with the HC, this week. My ds did it without the HC, though we had it. He and my dh spent some time together working on any problem areas. DD needs more structure though, so I think it will help her more if we use the HC! Thanks for your comments and answer!

Ds actually struggled with LoF. I have a degree in math and he definitely has the math gene. I suspect that part of why he struggled was raging hormones and part was that it just didn't really fit his learning style well. He's a great reader, but the humor in LoF lulled him into thinking that it was all going to be fun and games and it wasn't. It was challenging. I think the explanations got lost for ds in the story, too. He's more of a just-the-facts kinda guy. Anyway, he definitely needed the HC for extra practice.

Ds actually struggled with LoF. I have a degree in math and he definitely has the math gene. I suspect that part of why he struggled was raging hormones and part was that it just didn't really fit his learning style well. He's a great reader, but the humor in LoF lulled him into thinking that it was all going to be fun and games and it wasn't. It was challenging. I think the explanations got lost for ds in the story, too. He's more of a just-the-facts kinda guy. Anyway, he definitely needed the HC for extra practice.

Yeah, I can see that happening! The style of LoF was a PERFECT fit for my ds15--the humor and stories were right up his alley, and he got it.

It doesn't fit my dd as well, but she likes the idea of it, so I'm think that if we use the HC it will work MUCH better for her!