Menu

The American Pageant text users. . .

Guest Barb B

Guest Barb B

We are on the 4rth chapter of this text. If you have used this what have you used for test? Right now we are using the 14 edition textbook, but 11th edition "guidebook" for tests. The questions are mainly multiple choice but it seems to me that they try to trick the student. Anyway - I would love to know what others who have used this text have used for tests? DS is not doing as well expected on these "tests". He is reading the chapters plus writing out outline type notes. I am not sure if he just needs to put more time in studying or if using these study guides as tests just isn't working.

Barb

Edited by Barb B

I don't have dc old enough that I have taught with this, but I have experienced it as a student myself. This is the text that was used in my high school AP history class 20 years ago - except that it was the 6th edition... I still have it on my shelf. I remember those multiple choice tests very well. In fact we called them "Baileys" - after the book's primary author. We did all manner of studying to prepare for a Bailey. The first one resulted in no As and many Fs. We got better at them as the year went on. The "Bailey" and the class in general had such a reputation that the year I took it there were only 6 in the class (only the AP class used Am.Pag. - the other classes used a different text).

Anyway, I don't have any advice. I think outlining the chapters is a great way to take in the material, but maybe a 2nd read through to just take it in without thinking about writing? I think it just takes time getting used to the questions on a "Bailey." Just wanted to say you're not crazy or alone - hundreds of kids have quaked in their shoes on a "Bailey" day - and thousands more were too scared to take the class, LOL!

I guess I'm saying that if you see good outlining, good writing assignments, and other indications that he's doing well, then use the test as good test taking experience and not so much as an indication of his comprehension/retention.

We used Bailey too! The nice thing about using it in HS is that your kid doesn't have to lug it back and forth--that thing was heavy.

I can't help about the tests, but I will say that many tests try to trick the student and its good to have practice in that kind of thing. At least, I know it helped me.

Guest Barb B

We decided to use the "guide book with solutions" for tests. I have one thats a different edition then our text but it works out well. I have him currently do all the test, and one of the essays. I also will probably assign one 5 para essay per unit of the textbook. I also will give a mid term and final. One stupid question - is a mid term the middle of the semester (after 9 weeks) or the middle of the year (around december)? Anyway - that means a couple cummulative tests for the year to get used to studying for those types of tests. Yes, we are finding some questions to be tricky but I agree that this is good practice (not only for college, but for SAT). We also use the online tests and quizes - so far to study and prep for the test from the guidebook.

Barb