Menu

Book/book list suggestions for 13/14 dd who doesn't love to read?

I know, what homeschooler doesn't love to read? Well, mine doesn't. She definitely doesn't get that from me. My nose can often be found in a book!

My dd is 13, soon to be 14. I need some suggestions for books or book lists that I can make suggestions from or hand her the list and say "find something from this list."

I should clarify that she loves to read comics, Garfield, Archie and the like, but really doesn't read chapter books often. I would like that to change this year. She is on the verge of high school and can't keep carrying this attitude. I need to start moving her in the direction of chapter books for upcoming high school.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Blessings,

Casey

Casey,

I think jr hi kids not only need to up the level of their reading, but begin to look at what they reading in more depth (i.e. more than just a series of events). They don't have to dig deeply, but just make a bit of a transition.

Have you looked at Lightning Lit or Progeny Press? Programs like that can give a jr hi student the direction she might need. Their book lists are also age-appropriate.

Julie

My DS(16) has never picked up a book for leisure and does enjoy comics as well. Because he doesn't read for pleasure I make sure the books I assign him are great literature so at least I know that he is reading quality even though there isn't a lot of quantity. I agree with the Progeny Press guides they are great. We go through the Progeny Press catalog at the beginning of the year, he picks out a few of the books that look interesting and those are assigned for the year. I do have to assign certain pages to be read daily or it just won't get done. He always seems to enjoy the books in the end. But it never is enough to get him to read on his own. HTH!:)

Here is a list of books my daughter has loved (age 11 but heavy reader)

1. Anne of Green Gables

2. Jane Eyre

3. Tom Sawyer

4. God's Smuggler

5. The Hiding Place

6. Pearl Maiden

7. Redwall Series

8. Diary of Anne Frank

9. The Jungle Book (anything by Rudyard Kipling)

10. Dragonspell series or Oracles of Time series

HTH!

Tara

• 1 year later...