Menu

Accredited schools where you can go at your own pace?

I have determined what I am looking for and need advice. My dd is in 8th grade this year. It was last minute decision to homeschool which is why I'm late getting on the ball. Since I am not 100% sure that she will homeschool all the way through, I need to make absolutely sure that she gets credit should she transfer back into public school. The ps was not allowing her to get into the advanced/GT classes, which I believe she is capable of doing. She was very advanced before she hit 6th/7th grade at which time boys took over priority for her. She lost her motivation in school, and became more motivated in boys. As a result she lost her advanced classes and went to regular ed. That is fine of course, except that I know she can handle an advanced curriculum. I also am really seeking out a program that gives her access to AP credits and allows her to advance at her own pace. Our focus is getting AP classes, high test scores, and hopefully scholarships for college.

I need to find an actual school that provides a transcript and that a public school would not question. For example if she speeds up her math courses, I need to make sure they accept that if she goes back to PS.

Are schools like Seton and Abeka what I should be looking for? Should I be trying to get her into EPGY? Any help appreciated

We have been in a similar situation. I would contact your local school district and speak to the Director of Curriculum to find out what you need to do to make sure the credits will count. I contacted our school district and was told that it doesn't have to be accredited but that I need to keep records to show work on par or above what they would expect. If I am unable to produce records then my child may choose to test out of a class with a certain percentage on the grade level exam with my signature of approval. This really varies by district and your district is the best place to start. My high school hasn't been thrilled with most of the online schools because of the way the exams and grading are handled.

I had actually enrolled my DD in a Keystone High School class and cancelled the enrollment and am doing the same course myself, with the exact same resources, for much less money and just keeping records. In my honest opinion the way they handle grades is poor; they are not proctored exams and they have no way of knowing if your child knows the material. Anyone with half a brain can take test questions, print them out, look them up in the book, and email them in to the teacher. IMO

Otherwise the school involvement was to give my DD a recommended plan of completion for each week of the course, with recommended reading, recommended exercises and an exam that could be printed and filled out. I don't call that teaching. The online resources they use in their "lectures" is all available on the publishers website, all that is needed is the textbook.:rant: Start with your school district. :001_smile:

Oh, and I will just have my DD take the exams at the end of the EPGY classes and print them with a report of her progress, which includes all login times, problems completed and number correct. ;) They can test her if they want to challenge the Stanford University scores. Of course that all would be dependant on my sending her back...

Edited by melmichigan

I need to make absolutely sure that she gets credit should she transfer back into public school.

Ya can't. :lol: It's up to the next school what they will accept, won't accept, etc.

I know what you mean, but it's really just not a reality.

Even if you get something in writing, staff could change, etc.

It's just "one of those things" :glare:

:seeya: