Menu

Accredited homeschool programs that let you advance at your own pace?

Ok here I go again...I have determined what I am looking for and need advice. My dd is in 8th grade this year. It was last minute decision to homeschool which is why I'm late getting on the ball. Since I am not 100% sure that she will homeschool all the way through, I need to make absolutely sure that she gets credit should she transfer back into public school. The ps was not allowing her to get into the advanced/GT classes, which I believe she is capable of doing. She was very advanced before she hit 6th/7th grade at which time boys took over priority for her. She lost her motivation in school, and became more motivated in boys. As a result she lost her advanced classes and went to regular ed. That is fine of course, except that I know she can handle an advanced curriculum. I also am really seeking out a program that gives her access to AP credits and allows her to advance at her own pace. Our focus is getting AP classes, high test scores, and hopefully scholarships for college.

I need to find an actual school that provides a transcript and that a public school would not question. For example if she speeds up her math courses, I need to make sure they accept that if she goes back to PS.

Are schools like Seton and Abeka what I should be looking for? Should I be trying to get her into EPGY? Any help appreciated

Texas Tech University ISD offers self paced classes for K-12. They are fully accredited by the State of Texas (TEA). They use a lot of common, secular curriculum which is mentioned on this board (ie: Glencoe, Conceptual Physics, etc...)

They also offer Credit By Examination (CBE) so you can use your own curriculum and pay $60 for your child to take a proctored exam to receive credit for a class.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/ode/ec2k/Heading.asp

If at all possible talk to the folks at the high school she is headed toward - they will tell you what they will accept. This varies by school - don't assume that it will be the same everywhere. Best to get the answers in writing.

Use the search function here to read threads on high school credit - lots of good info - spent time today doing the same.

For example, in Texas, there are only 2 programs guaranteed to be accepted by Texas public schools:

Texas Tech - http://www.depts.ttu.edu/ode/k-12/

University of Texas - http://www.utexas.edu/cee/dec/k16/

This issue is a "can of worms" for anyone making the transition from homeschool to public/private school during the high school years.

Good Luck!

an actual school that provides a transcript and that a public school would not question.

It's up to the Public School what they accept.

They are the only ones who decide that.

But American School carries regional accreditation, as does Seton that you mentioned, and is completely student paced.

:seeya:

They also offer Credit By Examination (CBE) so you can use your own curriculum and pay $60 for your child to take a proctored exam to receive credit for a class.

I had earlier recommended this program based on a friend's experience. A couple of weeks ago I received a brief email saying they would no longer recommend this program.

They'd done all these proctored exams for various courses, were planning to do CBE's for some more credits and then finish up with the last 5 courses this fall...I do not know all the details of what went wrong but they said that TT was very inflexible, that the rules had changed even after they had started the program and that they would no longer recommend it.

My ds tried school last year in 7th grade and they didnt ask me to prove any classes or provide a transcript. They just had him take the classes I chose..anyone that I said he was ready for. That was middle school....and in FLorida.

Now...I think high school is different. I have heard a lot of parents state that if you put your kids into PS past 9th grade, it is up to the school to figure if they accept any of the credits. I have heard parents say they had to put 10th graders back to 9th grade.

I know in FL you can use Fl virtual school...which is accepted. YOu can use it to Homeschool and get a transcript. (if you live in FL) I think you can pay to use it but it is expensive out of state. Maybe if your state uses K12?

Seton is wonderful, Abeka offers the DVD program but Im not sure a high school would automatically accept any of those.

There are never any guarantees that a public school will accept credits earned at home (or even from a campus-based private school, for that matter), regardless of how the student earned those credits (i.e., from Mom or through an accredited distance-learning school). You need to talk to TPTB at the school your dd might attend and find out FOR SURE if they will accept credits or not and under what circumstances (and get the policy in writing).

Clonlara allows more flexibility and creativity than schools like ABeka Academy and Seton.

There are never any guarantees that a public school will accept credits earned at home (or even from a campus-based private school, for that matter), regardless of how the student earned those credits (i.e., from Mom or through an accredited distance-learning school). You need to talk to TPTB at the school your dd might attend and find out FOR SURE if they will accept credits or not and under what circumstances (and get the policy in writing).

Clonlara allows more flexibility and creativity than schools like ABeka Academy and Seton.

:iagree: about the guarantees and Clonlara. I don't know what TPTB is though.

If we homeschool high school, I would use Clonlara for the sole purpose of NCAA eligibility, but it has the fringe benefit of the accredited private school transcript, which would likely be more acceptable than a homeschool transcript to a public/private high school. From their website:

If students decide to go back to the public school system, will they be accepted?

As with any transcript presented to a new school, that school has the option of how they transfer in the credits. We have been very successful in helping students to get our credits accepted if there have been questions. It helps that we are nationally accredited and have a long history as a private school.

It costs just under $1000 per year, but compared to the $11,000-$15,000 private school tuition here, it's a bargain.