What's with the ads?

#1 yvonne

yvonne

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1623 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:02 AM

Anyone know if Memoria Press is Catholic based?

I just poked around a little on their site, but didn't find anything quickly, so I thought I'd ask here.

yvonne

#2 Kinsa

Kinsa

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3635 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:12 AM

I just poked around a little on their site, but didn't find anything quickly, so I thought I'd ask here.

yvonne

Technically, yes. Their materials are not overly Catholic in flavor, but they are overtly Christian. I am an evangelical Protestant and have used their materials for years without much trouble at all. I don't know that a non-Christian would be comfortable using them, though.

#3 yvonne

yvonne

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1623 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

Thanks, Kinsa. I'm Protestant and I really like their materials, too. I heard on another site that they were Catholic, but it never even occurred to me that they were from their materials. I still like their materials, though! :)

yvonne

#4 laughing lioness

laughing lioness

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5707 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

I don't think so. Why don't you call and ask?

#5 christielee7278

christielee7278

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:21 AM

I don't think the company is Catholic. There isn't anything on the website to indicate that. The Latin series does have some Catholic prayers and such in it though, not anything that would offend a protestant though.

I read through some of the bios and noticed a graduate from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. There were no priests, sisters, or other graduates from a Catholic school listed. That should be a good clue as to the denominational lean of the company.

#6 Cadam

Cadam

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11583 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

I always figured they were reformed-ish. Hmmm, where is Drew when you need him?:glare:

#7 Jami

Jami

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1736 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

yvonne

Cheryl Lowe is, yes. Martin Cothran is Presbyterian. And there are students/former students from Southern who teach and write for them. They are "orthodox" (small o) Christian. And try to draw from historic Christianity which most major strands of Christianity should be comfortable with. "Mere Christianity" would be the term. :)

#8 Kinsa

Kinsa

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3635 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

I will have to retract my answer. After looking through the Highlands School website, I see nothing that indicates it is a Catholic school. Quite the contrary, actually.

I had heard that they were of a Catholic persuasion, but now I question that assertion.

#9 Jami

Jami

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1736 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:35 AM

The prayers and hymns may be considered Catholic today, but they're the shared heritage of Protestants as well. Most of them were written well before 1517 and Wittenberg.

#10 Amie

Amie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

I guess I don't know, but I never thought they were Catholic. I think they even have a "disclaimer" of sorts next to the Henle Latin they sell--I don't remember exactly what it says, but I took it as a "Yes, we know it is a Catholic text, but we think you'll be able to use it anyway...".
Whatever they are, I like a lot of their products. ;)

#11 Michelle in TX

Michelle in TX

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2032 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:04 PM

I'm using their Christian Studies (haven't started teaching it yet) and it doesn't seem to be Catholic. I chose this Bible study program after reading the reviews here and most people using it were protestant, as am I. I've often wondered if as a company their were Catholic though, so hopefully we'll get a final answer from someone.

#12 Jami

Jami

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1736 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

I'm using their Christian Studies (haven't started teaching it yet) and it doesn't seem to be Catholic. I chose this Bible study program after reading the reviews here and most people using it were protestant, as am I. I've often wondered if as a company their were Catholic though, so hopefully we'll get a final answer from someone.

Honest question, would it matter if they were a Catholic company (not sure what that means, owners being Catholic doesn't mean the company is part of the church)?

My sister-in-law worked for them for 3 years. My brother has taught one of their online classes and is working on a study guide for them. My SIL's brother-in-law (her sister's husband) is a teacher for them. I already answered about the denominations of several those very involved with the company/school. Cheryl Lowe is Catholic. If I recall correctly one of her sons is Methodist. Martin Cothran is an elder in the PCA. And there are several people connected with Southern seminary who teach or work for MP.

But if you have the program, you've looked through it and find no doctrinal issues that you're uncomfortable with (which I can understand, I'm not likely to use an overtly Arminian/Dispensational theology program any time soon.), then does it matter that much if the company has predominantly Catholic authors/teachers?

#13 Amie

Amie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

Honest question, would it matter if they were a Catholic company (not sure what that means, owners being Catholic doesn't mean the company is part of the church)?

My sister-in-law worked for them for 3 years. My brother has taught one of their online classes and is working on a study guide for them. My SIL's brother-in-law (her sister's husband) is a teacher for them. I already answered about the denominations of several those very involved with the company/school. Cheryl Lowe is Catholic. If I recall correctly one of her sons is Methodist. Martin Cothran is an elder in the PCA. And there are several people connected with Southern seminary who teach or work for MP.

But if you have the program, you've looked through it and find no doctrinal issues that you're uncomfortable with (which I can understand, I'm not likely to use an overtly Arminian/Dispensational theology program any time soon.), then does it matter that much if the company has predominantly Catholic authors/teachers?

It doesn't matter to me. I will evaluate everything--"secular", "Christian" (any denomination), etc.--before I use it with my children. I have friends/acquaintances from many backgrounds and beliefs, and I find inspiration and resources in many different places.

Edited by Amie, 25 August 2009 - 03:53 PM.

#14 angela in ohio

angela in ohio

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10230 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

No, they are not.

The authors of their material come from many backgrounds: Orthodox, Protestant, Catholic.

I asked Martin Cothran's wife about this "Catholic controversy" when I saw her at a Classical Conversations event. She said it is a common question.

#15 LatinLover

LatinLover

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

I'm truly curious. What is this "Catholic controversy" of which you speak? Andrew Pudewa is Catholic and he just happened to develop a writing program. I guess I'm confused because it seems like asking if Singapore Math is Buddhist.:confused:

#16 OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9052 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

Traditional Logic has some Catholicism in it, but it's been so many years since my son took it, I can't remember what, exactly, it was. I just remember him wanting to argue theology with the book!

Henle is written by monks, (or a monk) and it is decidedly Catholic, but that didn't keep ds from learning Latin well.

Although, I will say, they don't include any of the reformers in their Famous Men books (Martin Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, etc)

#17 tedearly

tedearly

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

I'm truly curious. What is this "Catholic controversy" of which you speak? Andrew Pudewa is Catholic and he just happened to develop a writing program. I guess I'm confused because it seems like asking if Singapore Math is Buddhist.:confused:

Or if Wide Guide Spelling Protestant. I wonder if this site is a place Catholics can belong or are just tolerated.

#18 Faithr

Faithr

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2459 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

Henle was not a monk. He was a priest of the Jesuit order, hence the initials S. J. after his name. The Jesuits are a teaching order who founded many universities and high schools. A monk is someone who may or may not be a priest who dedicates his life to prayer and living in community with other monks.

Traditional Logic is not Catholic, however, Martin Cothran, as an orthodox Presbyterian has a lot of respect for Augustinian thought. Whatever bit of theology might be in Trad Logic (it's been awhile since I've done it) is not specific to Catholics at all.

#19 Brindee

Brindee

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5731 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

Or if Wide Guide Spelling Protestant. I wonder if this site is a place Catholics can belong or are just tolerated.

:glare: I've always heard it was a GOOD thing to ask questions and find out the facts!

It could've been ANY religion that this question was about, it just so happened she'd heard it was Catholic so was wondering if that was so. I don't see anything wrong with asking a question just to know the facts! It probably doesn't matter, because, as she said, she uses it anyway, but it would satisfy her curiosity. There's nothing wrong with that, is there? :confused:

#20 Renee in NC

Renee in NC

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8035 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

Although, I will say, they don't include any of the reformers in their Famous Men books (Martin Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, etc)

They didn't write those books, just re-published them. The originals I found on the Baldwin Project didn't include the people you mentioned either, so it isn't because they edited them out.

#21 OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9052 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

They didn't write those books, just re-published them. The originals I found on the Baldwin Project didn't include the people you mentioned either, so it isn't because they edited them out.

I realize that. I was pointing out a fact. Reformers are not in those books.

#22 Renee in NC

Renee in NC

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8035 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

I realize that. I was pointing out a fact. Reformers are not in those books.

Sorry! I misunderstood your point. I thought you were pointing out the Catholic aspects of their various books.

#23 OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9052 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

Sorry! I misunderstood your point. I thought you were pointing out the Catholic aspects of their various books.

No, I was just bringing up points that people might not realize. I love the FM series with the teacher guides and student books and assumed wrongly that reformers would be there, but found out they weren't. That did send me on a search and discovered that the reformers weren't in the originals, either. I probably should have expanded on that earlier. ;)

#24 Michelle in TX

Michelle in TX

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2032 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

It doesn't matter to me if the company is Catholic but if I'm going to buy a Bible curriculum, as a Presbyterian, I'd rather it not have a Catholic bent to it. Instead, it is just pretty straight forward Bible instruction which is what I wanted. Other than that, I was just curious as to whether or not they were Catholic. I think they have so many nice materials. I'm also using their D'Aulaires Greek Myths guide this year.

#25 angela in ohio

angela in ohio

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10230 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:52 PM

The "Catholic controversy" I refer to is people avoiding their products because they think the company is Catholic.

#26 iwka

iwka

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Martin Cothran converted to Catholicism recently.

#27 sunnylady303

sunnylady303

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

Deleted due to sleep deprivation induced snark.

Edited by sunnylady303, 25 August 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#28 Tibbie Dunbar

Tibbie Dunbar

Hoot-Giver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3699 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

Martin Cothran converted to Catholicism recently.

Do you have a link?

ETA: Oh, gracious! This thread is from 2009! I thought I'd read it before. LOL

#29 Syllieann

Syllieann

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

n/m didn't see the date

Edited by Syllieann, 25 August 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#30 iwka

iwka

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Do you have a link?

Only this: http://www.rmchec.org/ under speakers tab, last sentence in the bio.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resurrected thread

What's with the ads?