Menu

If you created a portfolio rather than a transcript

Could you tell me this?

How much work did you show per class? Specifically, let's say English 11 (or however you designated such a class). What would you save to show? How much stuff do you need?

Or if anyone has had a University ask you to prove your child did a class, how much work did they want to see?

No one has answered you, so I will. I made transcripts, and three dc used them and are in college. No university my dc looked at or applied to wanted portfolios, even from hsed students. All wanted a transcript, and none questioned content in any course.

Is there some reason you want to make a portfolio instead of a transcript? It seems like a lot of unnecessary work, unless you have a specific university in mind, and then that school may have specific work it wants included.

No one has answered you, so I will. I made transcripts, and three dc used them and are in college. No university my dc looked at or applied to wanted portfolios, even from hsed students. All wanted a transcript, and none questioned content in any course.

Is there some reason you want to make a portfolio instead of a transcript? It seems like a lot of unnecessary work, unless you have a specific university in mind, and then that school may have specific work it wants included.

:iagree: None of the 5 colleges dd#1 applied for wanted one--too much paper to go through I imagine.

We do have to do them for our yearly evaluations though, so I just put a sample of writing from beginning, middle & end to show progress & usually all the chapter tests from science/math, along with certificates, etc. for anything else.

I talked with the admission counselor at Furman University what they want with course descriptions from homeschoolers. SHe was the counselor for homeschoolers (along with some other areas). SHe said they only need course descriptions if the course titles aren't self explanatory. I replied that my daughter is taking class like SPanish 2, ALgebra 2, Biology, British Lit, etc. and she laughed and said a transcript would be enough. They only wanted a course description if you did something like unschooling or named your classes in such a way that it wasn't obvious what you took. I know that a number of colleges emphasized strongly that they don't want extras beyond maybe an extra recommendation or something like that. One of the colleges said that someone sent in 27 recommendation letters and didn't get in. Same thing may very well be true if you start sending in volumes of class descriptions.

The best thing to do is probably have class descriptions including texts and books and other media used ready but not send it in unless and until someone requests it. Furthermore, inquire of the admission office if they really want it. Like I said, at least one that said it wanted it didn't really at all.