Menu

Need rec's for Constitutional study....

We have decided to devote 6 months to a study of our nation's constitution...we are looking for those books that have a thorough look into the intent of the framers....we have been reading most the Uncle Eric books and they've sparked an interest for us...so looking to dig a little deeper...

books I'm considering "The Heritage Guide to the Constitution", "Common Sense" and "Decision in Philadelphia"...I thought we'd read "Decision..." aloud and use the other books to pull out parts...thought someone else might have already done this and have a great book they would want to recommend...thanks!!

Tara

Teaching Company has an excellent series on the Federalist Papers. It goes into the reasoning on why we needed the constitution and the debate on whether we needed the Bill of Rights. It helped me understand more of our founder's mindset when they were writing the constitution. Along with the sereis, read selections from the Federalist Papers and anit-federalist papers.

At http://www.claremont.org/about/pageID.285/default.asp, on the left hand side you will see this: "Click above to download Thomas G. West and Douglas A. Jeffrey's indispensable guide to understanding the principles of the American Founding: The Rise and Fall of Constitutional Government in America (pdf)."

I haven't used this yet, but plan on it next year. I sounds like its point of view would be suitable.

"ABOUT THE AUTHORS

Thomas G. West is a Senior Fellow of the Claremont Institute and Professor

of Politics at the University of Dallas. He is the author of Vindicating

the Founders: Race, Sex, Class, and Justice in the Origins of America

(Rowman & Littlefield, 1997).

Douglas A. Jeffrey is a Senior Fellow of the Claremont Institute and Vice

President for External Affairs at Hillsdale College.

Published by The Claremont Institute.

© Copyright 2006 by the Claremont Institute for the Study of

Statesmanship and Political Philosophy

ISBN 0-0930783-38-7

937 West"

I'm currently reading The 5000 Year Leap which outlines some of the fundamental principles the Founders believed in and how they influenced the creation of our government. The Nat'l Center for Constitutional Studies also has a course available on American government and the constitution. 14 sample lessons are available on their website.

I LOVE the 5000 Year Leap!