Menu

what scholarships are out there that homeschoolers can get?

hsmom

This has probably been asked, but I felt as if I needed to ask myself.

What scholarships are out there that homeschoolers can get also? I have a niece that is a freshmen in highschool this year and she has always been in ps, but she is not doing very well. She wants to come live with us and she wants to be homeschooled. This way she can catch up and graduate like she wants to.

As the situation is now her mom doesn't care what she does and lets her do anything and everything she wants. Her mom cares so little that today is the first day of ps for her and she has no school supplies nothing to start school with. Heck last night her mom was not even home to make sure she went to bed and got prepared for school today. She had to call and old friend of her moms to give her a ride to school tomorrow since she had no way of getting there. She is wanting to change her life and she believes coming to live with us will help her do that. She wants to get some really good scholarships to send her to college. Now I don't want to mess with her dream and I want her to do everything in her power and ours to get where she wants in life. It is just not in our power to be able to send her to college without scholarships.

So, where do I start looking for scholarships or things of that nature? What things should I get her involved in to help with this process? I know it will take her really stepping up this next 4 years and I want to make sure we did not skip any bases.

Thank you for any help.

Seems to me that you are really asking two very different questions.

First, regarding scholarships in general: many of the seasoned homeschoolers on this board have noted that colleges often offer merit aid of some form to desirable students. What is required is that parents fill out the FAFSA.

That said, your niece's mother would probably have to do this for the girl during her senior year unless your niece becomes an emancipated minor or you are made her legal guardian. This is your second question, I believe. How do things work legally when another child enters a household?

The best thing for your niece to do now is excel academically. That will make her an attractive student when she applies to colleges. The legal issues are something that I just don't know.

Jane

Most scholarships come either through gvmt (state or fed) or the college/univ. itself. Other private scholarships can make the rules what they want (red headed, left handed people under 5' tall who attend XYZ High for example). Check with the guidance counselor at the hs to see what's on the list (sometimes they'll have it info on their web site) & keep an eye on the newspaper after Feb. to see if there are announcements for them. You can also call around to the local service clubs (Moose, Elks, Rotary, Zonta, etc) to ask if they have them. There's nationwide ones through the DAR, & Vets that have a local competition.

Just always ask any of the above if they have restrictions on the hs attended. Since we only have one hs here, many scholarship sponsors don't even think that anyone would go anywhere else, but if you put the bug in their ear now, they may change the rules to open the competition up to more students.

...we looked at the college that our children were interested in applying to, and then worked backwards.

Our second child received the highest GPA in the county (from the local CC-not me:D) coupled with untold community service hours=she received an award ($$$) from a local philanthropic group.

We filled out forms for Italian -American boot Club, Rotary, etc. Not everything panned out, but their essay skills sure were honed. We have two, working college grads, and there is a minimal amount left on a grant. Our daughter is now saving for her wedding and keeps conveniently forgetting that bill. :blushing:

Blessing,

Cheryl

P.S. I would encourage you to focus on your own children though. Seventh grade(12) is the time to start gearing towards their giftings for high school and what they want to do in their future. :grouphug: