Menu

Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry

I'm doing them all! Actually, I'm in the process of working through the book myself and I am teaching it starting this fall to several high school students. I love that it is real chemistry with real lab equipment and the math of chemistry. I figure it will take 8-10 3 hour lab sessions to work through 1/4 of the book. I am going to go straight through the book essentially in order with my students, but the author has set in the beginning of the book which labs to do for just general chemistry vs. adv. chemistry. It's not cheap, but it is lots of fun and I think it is a great way of learning.

I'm doing them all! Actually, I'm in the process of working through the book myself and I am teaching it starting this fall to several high school students. I love that it is real chemistry with real lab equipment and the math of chemistry. I figure it will take 8-10 3 hour lab sessions to work through 1/4 of the book. I am going to go straight through the book essentially in order with my students, but the author has set in the beginning of the book which labs to do for just general chemistry vs. adv. chemistry. It's not cheap, but it is lots of fun and I think it is a great way of learning.

Did you order the standard set of chemicals, the glassware, and supplies? $285?

susan

Edited by SusanAR

• 2 weeks later...

Most all of the chemical are bought in powder form and you have to mix to the concentration you need. If you don't know how to mix molar solutions, it is taught in the chem book.

I have bought everything piecemeal - also buying for more than one student. I love working with Home Science Tools and they have the cheapest prices for almost all glassware and durable supplies. HST sells chemicals in small quantities which is great for a single student, but does not sell all the advanced chemicals. Elemental Scientific sells a wide variety of chemicals at great prices but they can be very slow to deliver and slow to answer questions (but the price is right).