What's with the ads?

Photo

how long does it take to recover from gallbladder surgery?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 hsmom

hsmom

Empress Bee

• Deactivated
  • PipPipPip
  • 3189 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:19 PM

I go in for a gallbladder removal on Sep 1st and I was wondering how long to expect to take to recover and be back to normal?

#2 ncmomo3

ncmomo3

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

I felt 75-80% better after a week and was about 90% by 2 weeks.
I was able to do some house cleaning (minor vacuuming and dusting) after a week. The 2nd day after surgery was really rough though.
hth
--mine was laparoscopic

Edited by ncmomo3, 14 August 2009 - 03:31 PM.

#3 Carol in Cal.

Carol in Cal.

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9772 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

If so, it'll be like mine. I was off painkillers after about 4-5 days, and pretty much back to normal (carrying things around and everything) at the end of the second week.

#4 patchfire

patchfire

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1860 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

I had laproscopic surgery but then had to have a second endoscopic procedure about nine hours later, so I was still in the hospital until about 36 hours post-surgery. (Yes, I had it out at 3 am. On a Saturday morning, no less. I did have surgery scheduled for the following Wednesday but it was very impatient to leave!)

So I got home on a Monday, and that day and the following day were the worst two days. Because I was nursing ds who was just 8 months old at the time, I didn't take any painkillers but OTC stuff (I could have, but chose not to). The worst part was trying to nurse him without my staples getting tweaked. Ouch!

By two weeks post-surgery I was 100% better. Even by that Wednesday I was 70% better - my gallbladder had been impacting my health so negatively, yk? But it was definitely a good week and a half before I felt "normal."

#5 farmmom4him

farmmom4him

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

When I had mine it was lapro and I was 15 wks preggy--emergency.

I went home late that evening, due to the "extra" restrictions because of the preggy, I was not able to take care of my other children for a week, so my mil had them. I was back to normal though by the end of that week. I only took pain meds the first three days and at night for 3 more.

My diet is what took longer to get back to normal. It took about 2 mos, but I was REALLY sick when I had the surgery.

#6 skaterbabs

skaterbabs

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:24 PM

It took me about a week to be comfortably up and around; two weeks before I felt "normal". HTH!

#7 kalanamak

kalanamak

Geriatric Primipara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16200 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:31 PM

I felt 75-80% better after a week and was about 90% by 2 weeks.
I was able to do some house cleaning (minor vacuuming and dusting) after a week. The 2nd day after surgery was really rough though.
hth
--mine was laparoscopic

:iagree:

I did it with no painkillers (which make me puke...I have to be in enough pain to not care if I puke). I needed help getting out of bed the first two days. Hubby put himself over me like a crane, and I pulled myself up on him. My most lateral cut bothered my rib tip for weeks. Ugh.

Watch for infection. The belly button cut is where they pull it out of, and the most likely to get infected.

#8 Reesegirl

Reesegirl

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:38 PM

It took me about 3 weeks to get back to normal. I had a big infection in my galbladder and had to stay the night at the hospital and then go home with a drain tube which was left in for a week. Having the drain tube held me back a week from really starting to heal and kept the incisions so sore. As soon as it was removed I started to feel a lot better. I hope this doesn't happen to you.

#9 katemary63

katemary63

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:23 AM

I went to my Bible study on day three post op. It was no biggie at all for me. I had laproscopic surgery. My girlfriend had the same surgery and moaned for 2 weeks. It all depends on the person.

#10 Confuzzled

Confuzzled

• Members
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:50 AM

Took me 3-4 days to get back to normal. The mild post-op pain was NOTHING compared to the gallbladder pain I had the day(s) before the surgery. It was such a relief to have that thing gone!

#11 Saille

Saille

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1830 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:02 AM

I was about like Confuzzled. The anesthesia always makes me nauseous, but I didn't need my pain meds. Sleeping through the night without an attack was such a blessing. I'd add a few days to my total though...I didn't have kids yet when mine was done.

#12 Word Nerd

Word Nerd

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7319 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:38 AM

It took me longer than I expected, and I would not describe the post-op pain as mild at all. I was angry I'd been led to believe recovery would be no big deal at all, and it was much more painful than I expected. How long it will take to recover and how much pain there will be really depend on the person and whether there are any other complications. I also had LOTS of digestive issues for several weeks afterward. This doesn't happen most of the time, but I was one of the lucky ones I guess. :tongue_smilie: With that said, it was such a relief not to have attacks several times a week like I was before the surgery. I don't want to sound negative or be discouraging, but I wished that my expectations about the recovery period had been more realistic.

#13 dangerdad

dangerdad

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:47 AM

When dangermom got hers out, I seem to recall her moving pretty normally within a few days. The biggest surprise was that she couldn't lie down prone (felt like she was choking). A friend gave us an old recliner and that's what she slept in for a few days.

My brother gets his gallbladder out in 2 days (on Aug 18). He's generally healthy but very overweight. I'll make a note to post how he feels within a week after surgery.

#14 hsmom

hsmom

Empress Bee

• Deactivated
  • PipPipPip
  • 3189 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:56 AM

It took me longer than I expected, and I would not describe the post-op pain as mild at all. I was angry I'd been led to believe recovery would be no big deal at all, and it was much more painful than I expected. How long it will take to recover and how much pain there will be really depend on the person and whether there are any other complications. I also had LOTS of digestive issues for several weeks afterward. This doesn't happen most of the time, but I was one of the lucky ones I guess. :tongue_smilie: With that said, it was such a relief not to have attacks several times a week like I was before the surgery. I don't want to sound negative or be discouraging, but I wished that my expectations about the recovery period had been more realistic.

that is what I am worried about. I hear so many that it was no big deal then others that it was.

#15 hsmom

hsmom

Empress Bee

• Deactivated
  • PipPipPip
  • 3189 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

Took me 3-4 days to get back to normal. The mild post-op pain was NOTHING compared to the gallbladder pain I had the day(s) before the surgery. It was such a relief to have that thing gone!

I was just telling dh that if the pain was not as bad as an attack I would be alright.

My problem is that dh will be gone 5 days after surgery. He has to go back to work and I have no one else to help me with my children. I hope the recovery is not that bad.

#16 skaterbabs

skaterbabs

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

I would NOT call post-op comfortable by any means, but compared to what I went through pre-op, it was a walk in the park. Giving birth (without meds) was easier than the attacks I was having before mine was removed.

My MIL and I are very close; she was in my room reading while waiting for me to wake up after my surgery. The very first words out of her mouth when I woke were, "you look so much better!" :tongue_smilie:

#17 Dooley

Dooley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:18 AM

Last year I had to have a liver resection which was VERY, VERY painful. When they did the gallbladder - which is outpatient - it sent me for a loop, pain-wise. I was in the hospital 2 days, out for one and then back for 3 with a morphine drip (which did not help). I was incapacitated for about 3 weeks. I am now about 6 weeks out and no pain. However, I get full really quick and I now have a pot belly, which I did not have before! I guess by body hasnt figured out how to digest differently! Anyone have problems with eating afterward??

I am not overweight, which seems to be one of the 3 things gallbladder paitents are - 3 F's - fat, fourty and female. I am almost 50.

I would like to not bloat now please.

#18 Word Nerd

Word Nerd

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7319 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

I am not overweight, which seems to be one of the 3 things gallbladder paitents are - 3 F's - fat, fourty and female. I am almost 50.

FWIW, when I had my surgery, I weighed 90 pounds and was 29. I had my first gall bladder attack in college but didn't know that's what it was at the time, and it never occurred to the doctor I might be having gall bladder trouble because I didn't fit the usual profile.

#19 skaterbabs

skaterbabs

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:04 PM

I didn't fit the profile either. :p (Except for being female! LOL) 5 ft 8, 130 lbs, and 30 years old. ;)

#20 Tree House Academy

Tree House Academy

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7888 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:14 PM

My son's babysitter (when he was 2) had gallbladder surgery and was back to keeping the children she babysat a week after surgery. She was draggy and you could tell she didn't feel quite great for that first week, but then she started feeling much better by that second week. I always thought she was miraculous to be keeping 5 kids again one week after surgery!

#21 Domas

Domas

Just Visiting

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

I go in for a gallbladder removal on Sep 1st and I was wondering how long to expect to take to recover and be back to normal?

The quick way to recovery from gall bladder surgery is to have proper diet after the surgery. Whether you are in the hospital or at home, you have to take the diet that will keep you normal and lessens the burden on the digestive system.
And
hence such exercises should be avoided during recovery period from gall bladder surgery.

#22 lmrich

lmrich

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2638 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

I had my gall bladder out on July 20th. It should have been taken out 3 days before and because of that there were complications involving my liver. I felt weak and tired for two weeks, like I went to the grocery store and came home and took a nap (I NEVER take naps). I think part of it was that I wasn't eating much - 1/2 piece of toast, a couple spoonfuls of rice, etc. I was eating like that for ten days, and I wasn't drinking any coffee or tea. If you can take it easy with your kids, you will be fine. We watched a couple of movies together and played some card games, while I was recovering. I was told very sternly by my dr. not to vacuum nor to lift anything. I think that was because of the liver problems. I have had to go in a couple of times because of the jaundice, but after three weeks, I was no longer yellow. Sadly, it was four/five weeks before I got completely better, you know, wanting to do everything including the laundry. My old zippy self is rather boring!

#23 ThatCyndiGirl

ThatCyndiGirl

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3173 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:05 PM

I learned that there are 5 F's:

Fat
Fair
Fertile
Forty
Flatulent

Can they use the new procedure where they remove it via your mouth?

I'm not even kidding. Right this way: ---> :eek:

#24 Georgia On My Mind

Georgia On My Mind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:40 PM

Mine was removed 3 years ago in June. I had a diseased gall bladder for many years but managed it with meds and avoiding the trigger foods for me which were spicey Mexican and fried. Six weeks prior to the final attacks, as we now call them, I had quad bypass surgery with my right carotid roto-rooted followed by a right hemisphere stroke. June 4, I had my left carotid roto-rooted with normal recovery. Went to a vacation condo on St. Simons Island, GA with my daughters and grandchildren for recovery and ate an Asian salad on arrival at the beach. I was in severe pain before we ever checked into the condo we had rented for the next month. I endured the pain for 2 1/2 days before I gave in and begged one of my daughters (the one that wasn't 8 1/2 months pregnant) to drive me 1/2 way back to Atlanta to meet my husband. He took me back to the hospital (Emory Midtown) that I had spent so much of the last 6 weeks and they verified I had a gallstone the size of a quarter in my much diseased gall bladder. That was Wednesday night. The emergency surgery was not until the following Monday because I needed several units of blood due to all the surgeries, etc. the previous 6 weeks. The wonderful surgeon didn't promise laparoscopy but said she would try if she could since I still wasn't healed from the quad bypass. She did a marvelous job and I awoke with a hole in my upper abdomen and one in my navel. I had so many pain meds in the days prior to the surgery that after the surgery I needed only a minimal amount. I was out in five days and back at the beach a week after surgery. Oh, BTW my pregnant daughter had my 5th grandchild the next day after I came back to Atlanta for the surgery. I was cautioned to stay away from greasy foods as before and I did and had no digestive problems post op nor since. I can even eat spicey Mexican now if I want. It was definitely worth it to get rid of the diseased gall bladder during the summer of my surgeries. It was a painful post op but not unbearable and my remaining three weeks at the beach were spent walking on the sand, watching dophins play in the surf and smelling the salt water spray of the surf. I enjoyed the vacation recovery and have not missed that diseased gall bladder one day in the last 3+ years. My grandson arrived without event in the wrong city without the planned ob dr but fine all the same. We are all blessed without gall bladder and with beautiful grandson. Take it easy, pray for someone to minister meals and take someone's advice to watch lots of movies with your kids. Let us know when the surgery is scheduled so we can pray for you and your family. Freeze some meals ahead if you feel like it.

#25 Punchie

Punchie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1128 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:10 PM

Just an FYI, if you're still feeling fatigued, generally yucky, etc...a month after the procedure, you probably want to look into the possibility of jaundice. My father had his gallbladder removed sev months ago and didn't really get better. By the time he mentioned it to his doctor, he had an advanced case of jaundice caused by the clips slipping and irritating the bile ducts.

#26 tearose

tearose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:31 PM

My DH had his out at 25 after about six months of intensely painful attacks. I think he was back to normal after about two weeks, but he was in a lot of pain the first 4-5 days. He did a lot of deep breathing exercises after the surgery (he was given a device for this)--he said he felt better doing this, and it's also helps avoid lung complications. My DH has never had any dietary issues since having the surgery, but I guess it can vary with each person. In fact, before the surgery (this was our third trip to the ER), he wanted to make sure that he would still be able to eat bacon if he had the gallbladder removed :lol: Gotta love a man who knows his priorities!

#27 skaterbabs

skaterbabs

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:43 PM

the thing down your throat is called an ERCP, and essentially knock you out, stick a tube down your throat and vacuum out the gallstones. I had both an ERCP and laproscopic removal of my gallbladder (less than a week apart). The ERCP was really no big deal. I was home that afternoon, and the next day took my daughter out for ice cream with a group of friends. :001_smile:

The removal of my gallbladder was more involved, and it took a couple of weeks to fully recover from that.

#28 Dooley

Dooley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:32 AM

Had mine out in the morning, awful pain, could hardly get into the car, got home and was able to get in bed with big help, tried to get up to go potty and could not lay down again, I literally screamed with pain and sat up all night (couldnt use those muscles - I had had a liver resection the summer before and that was awful too) - stumbled through the next day, doubled my Vicoden usage (giant no no) - admitted back into the hospital with a morphine drip (which I could not feel) for 3 more days. Pretended I was fine so I could get out, but dr would not give me any more pain meds. It took a long time before I felt better and digestion was normal. A long time.

But thats just me.

I just realized this is an old thread and I already posted when it was new. Funny :)

Edited by Dooley, 09 September 2010 - 06:36 AM.
realizing its an old thread

What's with the ads?