Menu

What was your experience with Dianne Craft exercises?  

1. 1. What was your experience with Dianne Craft exercises?

• Loved them, saw great improvement!
    • They did help, but they didn't cure.
    • They did help, but I it took too much time for little results.
    • Did see any significant improvement.
    • Other (please explain).

Let me start by saying that I do respect anyone who wads into special needs issues. That said I have my doubts simply because her phonics material doesn't look to use the time proven o/g methods, but is just highly visual. I though I would do a poll to see what popular opinion is on her exercises before I spend a lot of time on them. :D

Anyone who wants to expound is welcome to.

Heather

p.s. Option #4 should be DIDN'T see any significant improvement...sheesh!

Edited by siloam

I went to her seminar, I bought the Integrated book (exercises) and the math picture cards. I did not get the phonics program BUT I did alter the SWR cards to her suggestions, which is the only phonics program I have ever used, and the vocab. cards.

Did it work?

I would have to say yes. My dd, 5 at the time, could not remember ANY of the phonograms, after altering the cards she knew them in a week. My other two kids are auditory learners and they would sound out every new word, but this child would spit out the word without ever sounding it out. She went from learning phonograms to reading chapter books in a few months , it was strange. There was not a slow and steady progression as my other two. It was as if she was running up a flight of stairs, skipping a bunch here and there on the way:)

Now, on the other hand she is my WORST speller. When I say that I mean, SWR had my other two several grade levels above in spelling. She was right on grade level, and although that seems normal, at the time is was WAY behind my other two.

In hindsight, she was right where she should have been, she was advanced in fluency and slower in spelling, my other two were advanced in spelling and a bit slower in fluency, you can't have it all right.:D

I have used several elements of her programs with mixed results:

Math facts cards- just didn't help at all

"Writing Eight" - did help ds(9), did not help dd (7)

"cross-over" exercises - did help ds who is left handed

The one thing that made a HUGE difference was following the supplement program as outlined in her CD's "The Biology of Behaviour". My ds has been taking these for almost a year and we both know the EFA's she recommends help him concentrate. The rest of the protocol helped him break a 4 month cycle of vertigo and headaches.

HTH,

Leanna