Menu

Has anyone compared Analytical Grammar and KISS Grammar?

Cindy in NY

I am very drawn to Analytical Grammar, but not so drawn to the price tag!

I have also spent a fair amount of time looking over KISS grammar. They seem very much the same to me in their method, with the obvious exception of the target ages.

I am on the verge of printing out the KISS workbook but I keep having this nagging feeling that I may be making a mistake. I have been at this homeschooling gig a number of years and can generally pinpoint just what I need. I can't put my finger on why I am feeling wishy-washy on this one, but I am.

I know some of you use these programs, so I was hoping to get some feedback on your opinions and preferences. Maybe it will help me think through this one.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
KISS doesn't have diagramming. We skip the parsing and use the Brainerd Kellogg text from googlebooks Graded Lessons in English for diagramming. It's a good mix.

Yes, we also skip the parsing and diagram the KISS sentences.

KISS doesn't have diagramming. We skip the parsing and use the Brainerd Kellogg text from googlebooks Graded Lessons in English for diagramming. It's a good mix.

Quick question in this (not trying to hijack:tongue_smilie:)...

I just downloaded the Kellogg text from Google books... It looks like some pages are missing at the beginning. Did you notice that too, or is it supposed to be that way?

Sorry, I now bow out (sheepish grin), but I am interested in hearing more on this... I am trying to decide between KISS and Analyical as well...

I know some of you use these programs, so I was hoping to get some feedback on your opinions and preferences. Maybe it will help me think through this one.

I haven't used Analytical Grammar, only KISS --- and I would never even consider paying for a grammar program, because I love KISS so much. It teaches just the way I think (which may be why some people have trouble following it?)

KISS does not teach diagramming, though some people add it at the early levels. I don't know how anyone would have the patience to diagram the sentences at the upper levels. But KISS is very thoroughly analytical, with emphasis on understanding how a sentence goes together and how the words interact with each other to communicate meaning.

KISS starts with the basics: Find the verb and its subject and complement (S/V/C). As the student progresses, we add other things to find, and the sentences get more complex, but it all builds gradually enough that my daughter never found it confusing --- well, apart from the inherent confusion of the English language itself, which is often open to multiple interpretations. But KISS encourages alternate interpretations, so that's okay.

After looking at KISS more and more, I went back and looked at AG samples and, although I am sure AG is great, it looked like just typical workbook pages. It sounds like KISS gives a richer and deeper experience from all the reviews I have read in several places. Now I just need to get a comparison of KISS and Killagallon's Story Grammar (not Sentence Composing). I am not getting many hits on that in the other thread I started. :(

.... Now I just need to get a comparison of KISS and Killagallon's Story Grammar (not Sentence Composing). I am not getting many hits on that in the other thread I started. :(

From what I have read, Story Grammar and Sentence Composing are pretty similar. If you know what Sentence Composing teaches and how, then Story Grammar teaches the same things in the same way.

I have Killagon and KISS and MCT now. I think they all complement one another greatly and I hope to use them all eventually. I think doing MCT Grammar first would make KISS and Killagon easier:) I plan on going through MCT Grammar Town first with Practice Town and then adding in KISS and Killagon:D I hope to do possibly all levels of MCT but we shall see as I am joining the afterschooling ranks:D