Menu

Also...need science advice for son #3....

Despite my own enjoyment of science, none of my sons seems to have taken to it (or to literature, or to French, or....I'm perceiving a trend here.) Here in Ontario, a diploma requires three high school sciences, one of which must be from grade 1 or 12 OR must be a tech science (such as woodworking or auto mechanics) from grade 9-12. I've always made the effort to ensure that my children have done the equivalent of what's required for a diploma, a plan that worked out well for the two oldest (oldest completed grade 12 at a Chrisitan school and second oldest is heading there next year.)

Since it's likely that son #3 will also head to school for grade 12, I'd like to keep him on track for sciences as well. However...(BIG however), this son--who is a comic wit and excellent writer-- struggles mightily with math; heading into grade 10 this fall, he will be only halfway through Lial's Intro Algebra. Son #1 managed to cover biology, intro chemistry, and woodworking in co-op classes, as well as earth science at home during his grade 9-11 years; son #2 has covered earth science/ astronomy, biology, and Conceptual Physics during grade 9-11. Son #3 covered earth science and astronomy, but back in grade 8, with a combination of middle school and high school texts; last year in grade 9, he also covered Conceptual Physics, but honestly, I think much of it went over his head.

This coming year we're planning on biology...but what to do after that? Because of his weak math skills, I don't think he will be able to manage chemistry (even son #2, who is far stronger in math, absolutely refused to take chemistry when he learned he did not *have* to). If son #3 also waits until grade 12 to go to school, he will not be able to take even something like woodworking there at that time as that does not count as a university-entrance course. It's possible I could send him to the Christian school part-time for grade 11 to take just woodworking, I suppose, although he isn't very interested in it; but otherwise, I'm in a bind re what to do for his third science. (Even his required third math will have to be a consumer math--there's no way he could slog through Alg. 2 without one of us killing the other). Any thoughts or suggestions?

If he has weak math skills, how about a liberal arts oriented Conceptual sicence? For example, Conceptual Chemistry or Conceptual Physics (for the last one, I mean the college one because I haven't see the high shcool one.) We're doing them because dd is doing them before she gets enough math, and then she's going to do mathy AP Chem & Biology if she continues to want to major in BioChem.

If he has weak math skills, how about a liberal arts oriented Conceptual sicence? For example, Conceptual Chemistry or Conceptual Physics (for the last one, I mean the college one because I haven't see the high shcool one.) We're doing them because dd is doing them before she gets enough math, and then she's going to do mathy AP Chem & Biology if she continues to want to major in BioChem.

Yes, as I mentioned, son #3 did do Conceptual Physics last year, but I doubt he has retained much. I don't think even Conceptual Chemistry would work for him, especially because that was my own weak area in science--I would need too much hand-holding myself.

Yes, as I mentioned, son #3 did do Conceptual Physics last year, but I doubt he has retained much. I don't think even Conceptual Chemistry would work for him, especially because that was my own weak area in science--I would need too much hand-holding myself.

Okay. I need a brain check today, I think! Does he have any interest or passion that links to a science? My ds, who is only 9, loves flight & airplanes, so if I were to do that with him, we might do the science of flight (without the math if he was in the same boat with math--he's too young for me to know what he'll be like in high school). Of course, that's Physics, so that example won't work for you.

Or more biology in a special area if he takes to that better than he did Phsyics? Say, marine biology, zoology, botany, insects, birds, ethology (animal behaviour) etc. Dh has ID'd wildflowers in various states and also in BC when we were out there for fun. He loves the outdoors. There are hundreds of wildflowers alone in many areas, not to mention trees (dh is a forester by profession, so knows a lot about them, too). Perhaps a course in something like that? It could be especially good if he happened to like drawing or painting.

If none of these work, yes, get him in a woodworking class or something like that. My sister loved woodworking in grade 9. She never got that good at it, since it was only one semester. She also took a basic automechanics shop class (it may have been a split shop class.)

Ecology is another one.

Pac works has a chemistry and physics program (combined) that doesn't seem to be math based. http://www.pacworks.com

Another option might be environmental science, astronomy, etc. Cornell has a course on birds that sounds good. Another option might be MODG's natural science. Nan in Mass had some good posts on how her family used that program.

Just a thought but you might want to look into Math Relief for Algebra I and II. It turned my math hater into a math lover. Well, at least she learned to like math, and could do it.

Veronica

Pac works has a chemistry and physics program (combined) that doesn't seem to be math based. http://www.pacworks.com

Veronica

I glanced at samples of the Integrated Physics and Chemistry program by Tiner (Pacworks) which I've heard of before. Am I correct that all the lessons are basically historical information? Are there any lessons on chemical formulae, atomic structure, etc?

We haven't used any math programs yet (we'll be starting in September and haven't bought anything yet D:) but maybe it's actually the curriculum that isn't working for him. Maybe try something different like Life of Fred? Get him to read the sample chapter and see how it works for him? It might be useful. (:

We haven't used any math programs yet (we'll be starting in September and haven't bought anything yet D:) but maybe it's actually the curriculum that isn't working for him. Maybe try something different like Life of Fred? Get him to read the sample chapter and see how it works for him? It might be useful. (:

For math,he used Singapore, then Lial's Basic College Math and now Lial's Intro Algebra. I have always thought that the explanations in Lial's are very clear and thorough. He just seems to have a hard time "getting it" no matter what--he will work a number of similar problems; then suddenly be stumped on one that is only slightly different. As for Life of Fred, I had contacted the author last year to try to order, but he said he would not ship to Canada due to many shipping difficulties.

With regard to the math...I have visited several of the same programs. The thing that finally "worked" for my artsy dd was Chalkdust. She actually finished Alg. 2 last year with a B!!!! I wish I had started using it sooner.

Hi Laurel--

I actually tried Chalkdust Prealgebra with this son and it was hopeless. He felt that there wasn't enough explanation in the lessons. I guess math just does not compute with him.

I don't know how you feel about Marine Biology.

there is the apologia Marine Biology and there is a popular text by Peter Castro that is meant for high school/non-science major college students that my son used in Community college. My 9th grader is using it now. Of course for us, I am adding in trips to aquarium, low-tide days and the apologia marine biology dissection kit.

I glanced at samples of the Integrated Physics and Chemistry program by Tiner (Pacworks) which I've heard of before. Am I correct that all the lessons are basically historical information? Are there any lessons on chemical formulae, atomic structure, etc?

I'm not sure, but here is a website with the topics included:

http://www.lamppostpublishing.com/paradigm-integrated-chemistry-physics.htm

Veronica