Menu

introducing myself and a Q on high school transcripts

Hi everyone!!!

Im Rachel from OK and I will be teaching my 15yo dd at home this year. We have been in public schools for the past 2 years and are doing her last 2 years at home (trying to graduate a year early-which she had planned to do in public schools with her guidance counselors OK). We hs'd middle school WTM (cant tell you how much I have missed it!!!) but the thought of doing high school always scared me because its such an crucial time and I really don't want to mess anything up. I just bought the revised ed of TWTM and have a wonderful family friend who is a english professor at a local college willing to teach most of her classes, so I feel a little more confident. Just want to make sure Im getting it down on paper correctly and am not missing anything. Any general advice would be welcome!!!

So, what kind of records need to be kept (how detailed) for high school? She is hoping to attend an Ivy League school.

Thank you!:)

Hi everyone!!!

Im Rachel from OK and I will be teaching my 15yo dd at home this year. We have been in public schools for the past 2 years and are doing her last 2 years at home (trying to graduate a year early-which she had planned to do in public schools with her guidance counselors OK). We hs'd middle school WTM (cant tell you how much I have missed it!!!) but the thought of doing high school always scared me because its such an crucial time and I really don't want to mess anything up. I just bought the revised ed of TWTM and have a wonderful family friend who is a english professor at a local college willing to teach most of her classes, so I feel a little more confident. Just want to make sure Im getting it down on paper correctly and am not missing anything. Any general advice would be welcome!!!

So, what kind of records need to be kept (how detailed) for high school? She is hoping to attend an Ivy League school.

Thank you!:)

I suggest you contact the schools she is thinking of attending and find out what records they are going to want.

This is how I keep records:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1113319#poststop

You can also add info on what types of extra-curriculars your student is involved in for those college applications.

Jean

I second Jean's suggestion of finding out what each college of interest is looking for from a homeschooler. You can generally learn this by going to each college's website and looking through the prospective student information.

If your daughter is aiming for the Ivy League level, she almost certainly will be required to submit SAT subject test scores. She might also consider taking AP courses or community college classes.

Other items that will need to be submitted include:

a reading list (I included fiction, non-fiction, essays, foreign language books, and textbooks on my daughter's list)

course descriptions

a counselor letter (this will be from you the homeschool parent)

a school profile

a transcript

Being accepted into an Ivy League school is a highly competitive process and is a longshot for most students. I'd recommend she research other college options as well!

Regards,

Kareni