Menu

What next for Spanish??

Last year, my 10th grade daughter took Spanish through a homeschool co-op. The teacher used Abeka High School Spanish 1. Well....just found out that the co-op classes will not be offered this year! :( I have been looking over the Abeka program and it does not look user friendly for someone like me with little Spanish background. But trying to switch to another program will be difficult unless we start all over as they all teach different vocabulary, etc My daughter seems very discouraged at the thought of having to start over again in a different program.

Abeka does offer a DVD course that I have looked at but it is $400!

Anyway...would love any suggestions. Have any of you used Abeka? Thanks for ANY help!

Any way you could take it at the cc/Univ.? My niece had 4yrs hs & still has to take 2 semesters @ college to graduate (w/a biology degree.) Dd#1 has to have 3 semesters of foreign language w/an English degree. She took 1yr hs (FLVS) then 2 semesters @ the cc (much better & made more sense she says) so it is doable w/only 1 hs year plus you end up w/more hs credit than taking the hs level classes only.

Our plan was to do this at the community college....but if you have followed the NC dual enrollment issues ......well it is looking like this option is being taken away from us. We also live 45 min. to the closest CC....on very windy mountain roads!

My dd did French I in public school. For French II, I had the same problem.

For grammar, I had her use an inexpensive workbook called French The Easy Way. She got through about 2/3 of it for French II (making sure she covered the more difficult verbs, as I recall). I also had her listen/speak using a variety of things on video & CD at the library & such. At the end of the year, I hired a private school teacher to go over things & evaluate her skills (I paid about what I'd pay a piano teacher). She declared she had passed year 2 successfully!

By the way, in French the 3rd year students spend most of their time reading in French (The Little Prince is the usual choice), so I would expect Spanish to be similar. You might want to gear yourself up for that this year.

Julie