Menu

Saxon vs. Horizons vs. Singapore Math

sahm99

...I know that they teach math very differently...

But, generally, sticking to grade level, would you help me putting them in order least to most difficult?

I have the feeling, Saxon is easiest, followed by Horizons and then SM being the most difficult...

What are your thoughts on this?

I am asking, because we have been doing a mix of these (for 1st and 3rd grade) and I want to streamline for 2nd/4th, doing just two (probably Saxon/Horizons combo) and keep SM (being the most difficult one...?!?) for next summer...(not doing any math for 3+ months is not a good idea in this family...).

Any thoughts (apart, of course, that I am completely nuts...)?

TIA!

My children would strongly disagree. They would argue that Singapore Math is the easiest, Horizons second, and Saxon is the most difficult. Of course, in their world this is mostly due to the # of problems in each program. SM takes them 15 minutes, Horizons 30, and Saxon 60 minutes.

My older children use Saxon Math, but I occasionally add in work from SM if they are struggling w/a particular concept. Conceptually my children love and prefer SM, but they do need the repetition of Saxon despite being very strong math students.

My younger children use Horizons Math w/SM thrown in once again for that conceptual understanding. If I wasn't so lazy about adding in all the extra calendar work, tally mark work, clock work, etc., I would probably just use SM w/the extra practice workbooks for my younger children. As it is, the combo is the best for us right now.

Just our perspective...

Edited by Jane

I haven't used Horizons but I would say that Saxon is easier than Singapore in that Singapore expects more thinking from the student and pushes the student to the edge of his/her knowledge in the problem sets. Singapore is easier than Saxon in that there are fewer problems in the workbook assignments.

Both of my children found Singapore to be easier than Saxon. They found Saxon mind numbing and the lengthy problem sets excruciating.

These three curricula have been mainstays in our home for years and years. We've gone back and forth between them, combined them, used different ones with different kids, but it's always these three. I personally agree with you that Saxon is easiest, followed by Horizons, then Singapore.

However, I really think it depends on the kid. This past year, two of my girls debated endlessly over which was easier -- Horizons or Singapore. They have two completely different brains. The one who prefers Horizons doesn't particularly care for math but loves Engish. And the one who prefers Singapore is the opposite.

All three are great curricula. Any one of them makes a fine stand alone curriculum. Horizons and Saxon take a very similar approach, IMO. Singapore is unique. It does a fantastic job of helping kids think outside the box, helping them think mathematically, helping them develop critical thinking. For those reasons, when I combine, it's always Singapore with one of the other two. (i.e. I would not combine Horizons with Saxon.)

HTH.

Edited by Luann in ID

What are your thoughts on this?

I am asking, because we have been doing a mix of these (for 1st and 3rd grade) and I want to streamline for 2nd/4th, doing just two (probably Saxon/Horizons combo) and keep SM (being the most difficult one...?!?) for next summer...(not doing any math for 3+ months is not a good idea in this family...).

I forgot to add my recommendation (fwiw given that you know your family best). I would recommend using either Saxon or Horizon and then adding Singapore Math over the summer. Personally, I don't think my children would benefit enough by completing both Saxon and Horizons to offset the amount of time it would take them to do the lessons.

HTH.