Menu

X-post VideoText Algebra

Anyone have experience using this? I just picked up Module A and B, used, from another homeschooler. I'm looking for strengths and weaknesses, especially after using Singapore Math. I seem to remember more people using this several years ago, but rarely hear about it anymore.

Thanks!

good instruction, well laid out, good help available if you are orig purchaser or have code for that..., thorough solutions keys show all steps of problem solving/write out

WEAKNESSES

not enough built in review, not the easiest curric to schedule because different units require varying time to master/understand, workbooks are kind of flimsy and don't stand up to multiple users [ i prefer hardbound, sturdy texts], teacher key/solutions manual can be hard to read when you are in your mid 40s,

ALL in all, this is my favorite math curriculum [i also used A beka which I like/love for lower grades, Miquon [which I also liked], and the ones I did not like TT ALG 2, Math Relief Alg]. We just did the college entrance testing and we used VT for some review and I fell in love with it all over again. Solid, solid, great curriculum. It is thorough. we solved the review problem by doing unit-end tests [called Test A - it is actually a pretest] mid-way thru ea unit [whatever we had covered] and then doing that end of unit test again at actual completion of unit. [We did Test A again and then Test B for the final test.]

Lisaj, used with 2 dtrs [one math-hater and one math-liker [not math lover]

I studied it for at least 45 minutes at a conference.

It uses rigorous mathematical language from the very beginning, like set theory and so forth. It was extremely impressive.

However, I could see that it would not work for my DD. It was too abstract and also to fast without enough review. She has really thrived on the spiral Saxon program, and I know I made the right choice for her, but I really admire VT and think it's actually a much better program.

and it worked out very well for us. We liked Videotext because it really emphasizes understanding of the concepts and is very thorough. It explains concepts cleary and well, and complete solutions (with reasoning behind each step) are given for all the problems. It is a mastery program, rather than spiral. There is review in it--cumulative reviews that are done after major sections, rather than constant review. These reviews make you go back and really think about the concepts again.

The biggest weakness we found with Videotext was in the word problems, which were nowhere near as challenging as Singapore's had been. What I did was to use Videotext for our primary program, and then I supplemented with the Singapore NEM series to keep up my dc's problem-solving skills. It was a lot of math, but proved to be a very good combination as they looked at the same concepts from different angles. They ended up really knowing their math! (By the way, I would not recommend using Singapore NEM as a primary program--it doesn't explain concepts as well as Videotext.)