Menu

Need Government/Economics Recommendations

Hi,

Ds is definitely being homeschooled for 12th gr. We are not using Cyberschool. I need some recommendations for good government/economics

books etc.

Also, has anyone here used the Apologia Physics?

Anyone know what we could use for getting ready for Architecture?

He had 3+block classes of art.

English I'm not sure of yet.

Oh, also need a good recommendation for Spanish...probably not Rosetta Stone. Something that he can really start learing to speak. (Never had it and he doesn't want BJU).

Thank you so much for all your help!!

If you want something concise, fairly indepth, and takes very little teacher prep time, I recommend Abeka's gov't and econ courses. I added in a few other books to the econ course (like a book on Adam Smith).

For Spanish, you might want to look at a combination of Tell Me More and Breaking the Barrier.

Hi 5knights3maidens,

I'm using Notgrass for US Government with my dd for 12th grade, hoping to turn it into an AP course with the addition of the Barron's guide & flashcards, and Instantcert.com for drill. We'll see! She wanted a Christian text. Notgrass put me in touch with a lady in TX who taught an AP USGov&Pol co-op class. She told me that her students used Notgrass with the Barron's guide; one her studetns got a 5 (loves govt, motivated) and one got a 3 (not as motivated, poor handwriting, so maybe the essays didn't get good scores). She didn't say how many students were in her class, and those were the only scores she knew.

Ds used both of the Apologia Physics books. He didn't really like Apologia Physics, but couldn't tell me why. He felt it wasn't good prep for the physics for engineers he's taking in college. That said, he did well in the 1st semester college physics course he took! So, I really don't know what to say about the course.

Dd is using Giancoli's Physics: Principles with Applications. It's a text recommended for the Physics B exam (NOT Physics C). She won't be ready for Physics C because she's taking Calculus next year. She chose it over Apologia because the college she wants to attend uses a Giancoli book for Physics (a different book; one that uses Calculus and is for Scientists). She wanted to get used to Giancoli's style. She won't be taking the Physics B exam because her college doesn't award useable credit for that exam.

For Economics, both of my two oldest successfully studied for the Microeconomics AP exam with the following:

Microeconomics by Roger A. Arnold (Any cheap college microecon textbook will do. We chose the 6th edition that I got for a song on Amazon.)

The Kaplan and Princeton Review Economics AP study guides.

Instantcert.com.

Both of my dc thought this was the easiest AP they have taken.

FWIW, I used a variety of things for high school English, at different times, as the mood strikes me and as it fit the student. They've all been successful for different reasons.

IEW's SWICC-C

IEW's The Elegant Essay*

IEW's Advanced Communication Series*

Study for the English Composition with Essay CLEP using the REA study guide & Instantcert.com*

Study for the English Language and Composition AP with the Kaplan & 5 Steps to a 5 study guides and lots of mommy input

* These are probably not a whole year's worth of work, unless you add more writing or literature somehow.

And finally, here's a book I recently discovered that I feel is great architecture prep:

Architectural Drawing Course: Tools and Techniques for 2D and 3D Representation by Mo Zell

What a cool little book (144 pp.), with a LOT of stuff in it! I wouldn't stress about doing all of the projects, unless he wants to. Let me know if you find something else that you like better.

HTH,

GardenMom

If you want something concise, fairly indepth, and takes very little teacher prep time, I recommend Abeka's gov't and econ courses. I added in a few other books to the econ course (like a book on Adam Smith).

For Spanish, you might want to look at a combination of Tell Me More and Breaking the Barrier.

I agree about A Beka for Gov't/ Economics. I would also add in readings from Ambleside Online level 7-11 Gov't/ Economics books and essays. This worked like a charm for my older 3.

~~Faithe