What's with the ads?

Photo

Do I need fruit leather trays for my dehydrator to make fruit leather?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Legomom

Legomom

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:19 AM

Or is there a good substitute? My husband wants me to use plastic wrap on the regular trays but I am wondering if the plastic will leach chemicals. I am wondering if I could use freezer paper or wax paper. Has anyone had any success with substitutes? I want to use my dehydrator rather than the oven because I think that I can process more that way. I would appreciate any suggestions on this.

#2 JESSICAinMD

JESSICAinMD

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

I use parchment paper. My dehydrator came with only one tray. I tried just making one at a time but that is too tedious. The trays are definitely easier but parchment paper works too.

#3 BillieBoy

BillieBoy

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:23 PM

I know you don't want to use your oven but I got some really cheap trays at the dollar store, you can fit 4 in at a time. I also use wax paper and it seems to get done a bit faster. Plus you have nice rectangles to roll up nice.

#4 herbalgirl

herbalgirl

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:41 PM

The plastic wrap seems to me like it would get all bunchy and be a pain to take off the fruit leather once it was done. Definitely invest in some of the sheets that go in the dehydrator or parchment paper. Those will work much better. I have a 9 trya one that only has 3 sheets with it, but it works well.

#5 Remudamom

Remudamom

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10476 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:35 PM

Aluminum foil works too.

What's with the ads?