Menu

How difficult is Apologia Physical Science?

I am considering jumping in to this with my 14dd and almost 13 ds. I am pretty certain ds can handle it, but figured I would be reading this aloud to them anyway. My dd has a hard time processing too much information at a time. She will do fine with the math part of it, but was concerned with all the reading, etc. I am just wondering if *I* am going to be able to read this everyday to her and plow through it *with* her while also having other children to work with. Anyone had children who struggle in academics, but did fine with this. I think I am just stressing about the high school years upon me and not sure she is ready for it!

They have an MP3 audio CD that is very inexpensive. The student can listen to the book being read while reading themselves. Also, you can slow down and not do a module in 2 weeks. You don't have to do every single experiement, question, study guide, and test. As with everything else, you can tweak the assignments to meet your own needs. The difficulty of this book is trying to get everything done in 2 weeks. The material itself isn't difficult at all.

Ds did this in 8th grade. He didn't find it difficult at all. In fact, he was a little bored with it. I think it depends on who teaches it and what you make of it. He did it when he was in a classical school that was on a university schedule (3 days there, 2 at home). The teacher didn't do much to make it interesting. Just had them read and do the questions. Dh did do some extra things with him at home.

They have an MP3 audio CD that is very inexpensive. The student can listen to the book being read while reading themselves. Also, you can slow down and not do a module in 2 weeks. You don't have to do every single experiement, question, study guide, and test. As with everything else, you can tweak the assignments to meet your own needs. The difficulty of this book is trying to get everything done in 2 weeks. The material itself isn't difficult at all.

Pam, this is OT, but I have a son that lives in middle Tn. He goes to MTSU.

My 13-year-old dd (getting to stay up late) told me to tell you that she completed Apologia Physical Science this year. She says it was challenging but that she learned a lot. The toughest part for her was memorization of vocabulary and learning to read/study effectively. She thought some parts were dull but liked the pictures, the computer visuals, and the experiments. She said the book gave plenty of practice problems to learn how to deal with the math problems. The first modules were challenging to read, according to her, but then they became less difficult. :)