Menu

Differences in reading methods?

Could someone please give me a bit of a compare/contrast on the different ways to teach reading? I know there are 100 EZ Lessons, Writing Road to Reading, something like Saxon Phonics, etc. What are the differences? Which methods work best for what kind of learner? Also, which is easiest to teach to a younger child (say a 4-year-old) versus which to help an older child learn to read? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for your help.

I'll tell you all I can about the programs I'm familiar with.

I See Sam readers

These were written under a government grant back in the 70's. You teach the sounds that are used in each book and then teach how to blend those sounds into a word. There are only 5 sounds in the first book. The stories are engaging, much more so than in the Bob books. They start from an assumption of no knowledge of letter sounds and go all the way up to 3rd grade level. They work very nicely for young kids.

http://3rsplus.com/

Reading Reflex and Abecedarian

These programs also assumes no background knowledge. They are different from most other programs in that they start with words and have the child break the words down into sounds and then put the sounds back together to make words. For instance, you might start with the word "log" and letter tiles for those three letters randomly scattered on the table. You would draw three lines side by side, each big enough for one tile. Then you'd say "log" slowly while dragging your finger under the lines. What is the first sound in "log"? When your child identifies "l" as the first sound, you show her the letter "l" and put it on the first sound. Then you slowly sound out the word "log" again while dragging your finger under the tiles. Then ask what sound comes after the /l/ in "log." I think you get the idea. The point is to start with words that the child is familar with hearing and learn what symbols are used for the sounds. These programs are especially good for kids who have auditory processing issues. Reading Reflex is pretty bare bones, but will get through basic code just fine. Most people abandon it when they get to advanced code since the instructions in the book for that part are pretty sparse. Abecedarian has complete teacher support and is a much more complete program.

http://www.readamerica.net RR

http://www.abcdrp.com and the yahoogroup is called abecedarian

100 Easy Lessons and Funnix

These are both direct instruction programs. 100 Easy uses some goofy orthography that isn't present in Funnix. Funnix also has a lot more support, since it's done on the computer. The stories are cute and funny. I have tried 100 Easy, but it was 100 Painful for us. Funnix was very good though.

http://www.funnix.com

Headsprout

Headsprout is a great program for young kids. It is fairly pricey, but it is the program that made the biggest difference for my dyslexic dd. They have a 30-day money-back guarantee. There are exercises that work on visual processing and on auditory processing. Part 2 has timed readings. Homeschool Buyer's Co-op sometimes does group buys for this program.

http://www.headsprout.com

I have never used the other programs you mentioned, although I have looked at Writing Road to Reading and Spell to Write and Read. I thought both of those programs looked incredibly difficult to implement. Most people end up taking a training class in order to learn how to use them.

My oldest was a natural reader. She demanded that I teach her to read one week before her 3rd birthday. I taught her the letter sounds and in two weeks she could read any basic code word. Periodically she'd want to learn more and I'd teach her about magic e or vowel/consonant digraphs. I made up a board game with Fry's 100 most common words in the spaces and we had to read all the words along the way. Whenever my dd got all the words right, she got an m&m. She was easy to teach.

My middle dd had an auditory processing delay that caused an expressive and receptive speech delay of 2 years. I corrected that in just 6 months with Reading Reflex (this was before I'd ever heard of Abecedarian). I was only able to get her through basic code with RR. She was stuck at that level from 5yo to 6yo and then suddenly was ready to move forward again with Explode the Code (which now has an online program that's supposed to be fabulous).

My youngest is dyslexic. The programs that were most helpful in getting her started reading were I See Sam readers, Headsprout, Funnix level 2 (starts where Headsprout finishes), and Phonics for Reading levels 2 and 3 (Curriculum Associates).

If you're looking for something to use with an older child, please post about what grade level you think that child is reading along with the child's age. Most likely Phonics for Reading or Rewards Reading would be good, maybe along with Abecedarian.

My library carries a good wide variety of reading primers (Phonics Pathways, Ordinary Parent's guide, 100EZ, Reading Reflex, Writing Road to Reading.....and more....)

I highly recommend going to your library and seeing if you can check these out and look through them for yourself. :D

They differ in how to present the material. Writing Road to Reading (and SWR) teach all sounds a phonogram makes from the start ("a" has 3 sounds like in at, ate, and wasp), and teach reading through spelling first. Reading Reflex (and ABCdarian) teaches all the ways to make a sound first (long a can be spelled a_e, ai, ay, .....) and teaches through pattern rather than rules (WRTR and SWR teach the rules). 100EZ is difficult for me to describe w/o you seeing it:tongue_smilie: Phonics Pathways and Ordinary Parents' Guide are the simplest imHo. They teach all the letters, and then begin blending into CVC words....and then teach sound by sound.

I use SWR...but don't search back through my threads for advice...I'm by no means an expert:tongue_smilie: I have recently researched this topic to death...sigh! SWR does have a steep learning curve (I'm still on the uphill side...), but I don't think the seminar is vital to learning to teach it.

I have used many programs trying to teach my kids to read. The I See Sam Readers were the best and easiest---and worked.

Like Angie said, they start assuming the kid knows nothing and moves up slowly from there (you can move as fast as the child is able though). They give LOTS of practice using the new sounds and the new words that the child blends. Many other programs introduce all of the consonants first, then add a short vowel like /a/ and expect the kids to be able to blend all short vowel a 3 letter words. This is too much for some kids.

The I See Sam books introduce 3 vowels (I (long sound as in the word I), ee (long sound, 2 es together, and short a) and then S and M in the first book. That gives you the words I see Sam. From there they slowly add consonants and vowels with lots of blending practice. The more difficult ones are saved for later and they keep b and d, p and q apart from each other in the instruction.

My girls learned to read with these books when they were older but my sister's kids learned to read with them at 4 and by 5 her youngest was reading at a middle school level when he was tested.

Also, compared to other programs, the I See Sam books teach all reading skills in the context of a story. No drills, no word lists to go over, etc. The kids put the skills to work right away in the stories.