Menu

Community college not accepting mommy diploma in VA

They want a GED or a diploma. Just not a home diploma as they don't believe that students under the age of 18 are allowed to get federal financial aid. She passed the ability to benefit test but since she isn't 18, they won't allow her to receive aid. They are quoting that compulsory age is 18 even though I have a religious exemption and we are exempt from compulsory attendance.

I really don't want to send my 16 year old for her GED as I don't like the stigma that is attached.

Is there a cheap umbrella school that I can dump her work into and get a diploma?

Honestly, I think I would find a distance learning situation to hold her over while you fight this. If you give in, you are just making it where they can bully the next family. I'd try to find other families and work to get the policy changed.

And my daughter is 16 and gets federal financial aid just fine. As long as they have graduated, they can get it.

what kind of degree is she planning on long term?

That's really strange and I wonder which college this is?

At our local Comm Coll. I can write a letter saying my child has finished high school homeschool and he can go to school, with fin. aid if qualifying.

We were shocked at this policy, we could just "say" he finished and he could complete his high school req's and get coll credit, on the people's nickel. Wow.

Sounds like this college is wwwwwwwway other end of the spectrum. ??

They are quoting the federal code to me. HSLDA told me that we can get federal financial aid if I graduate her. They don't want any part of that from me. And as it doesn't affect my right to homeschool, I'm sure that HSLDA won't help us.

My plan right now is to have her CLEP the 20 credits that we have planned out and take one 3 credit class. That will give me the rest of the year to present them with a document that they will honor. And she'll still have 23 credits.

This is my third child to start college at 16 yet it is the first time that we ran into this issue. I tend to think that the stimulus plan changed the language. :glare:

They are quoting the federal code to me. HSLDA told me that we can get federal financial aid if I graduate her. They don't want any part of that from me. And as it doesn't affect my right to homeschool, I'm sure that HSLDA won't help us.

Have you *asked* HSLDA to help? Because they have helped others in similar situations.

Have you *asked* HSLDA to help? Because they have helped others in similar situations.

I actually have spoken to my state representative. That was when the CC was having us fill out paperwork for the ability to benefit which she did qualify for. It was just sprung on us today that her age nullified that.

I am going to have to put in another call because they are quite uneducated about religious exemption and compulsory attendance.

the GED is just a hoop the CC wants. jump through it and get what you want from the situation. if you're worried about a stigma - who would know besides a paper shuffler in the registrar's office of the college. your daughter will still tell the world she graduated from home high school.

I just spoke with HSLDA. All the information is on their site so I need to pass it on to the CC. From a federal point of view, homeschoolers CAN self-certify.

He did say, though, that in order to take the GED early, she would need to sign off that she dropped out of high school. :001_huh:

I just spoke with HSLDA. All the information is on their site so I need to pass it on to the CC. From a federal point of view, homeschoolers CAN self-certify.

He did say, though, that in order to take the GED early, she would need to sign off that she dropped out of high school. :001_huh:

Uhm, no! She finished early!

I know. This is going to become a major problem. They are now telling me that we are ineligible to receive federal financial aid because we have a religious exemption.

I never thought that would be a problem - yikes. I called our local cc this morning since my dd is graduating at 17 and it's ok to have a mom diploma. But we don't have the religious exemption and we aren't going to use federal financial aid but the Virginia College Plan that we implemented when dc were young. I hope you can get this resolved.

Veronica

I've been a professor at two different Virginia CC's, and this is NOT a state policy. The college I work for now has admitted a number of students under 18 with federal financial aid, and several have been among the top graduates. Last I heard, all that was needed was a signed letter from the parent that the kid was homeschooled in compliance with the homeschooling laws in the state they graduated from if they're under 18 plus the parent-generated diploma. Every college can be a little different though. A friend one county away had some headaches getting one of her kids admitted to a Virginia CC this summer because of an admissions officer who freaked out over a diploma signed by someone with the same last name as the student.

I'm sorry but the people you are dealing with don't know the score. This is a local problem, not a state problem.

Here's a link from HSLDA on this issue: http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000001/00000147.asp

Edited by GVA

She passed the ability to benefit test. They are saying that you have to be 18 or older for that test to be used. They won't process her application as they believe that people with religious exemptions are exempt from receiving federal financial aid.

My son recently graduated from a VA CC. We enrolled him when he was 16. I wrote our local school board, and told them that I would no longer be schooling him; the CC would be. Because he was still a high school student, they could not require a diploma. He was not dual enrolled either. We do not claim religious exemption, but I honestly don't think that has anything to do with your situation whatsoever, and what the CC is telling you. In fact, our CC told my son that his CC diploma will act as his high school diploma as well, so no need for the GED! He is planning on going on to a 4 year school, so that will be one less thing to worry about. Unfortunately, I think the people you are dealing with truly don't understand the law, and are just making you jump through a bunch of unnecessary hoops. I would try and contact another CC to see if they could/would clarify things for you. Our CC was WONDERFUL to our son, and he had an incredible educational experience there. Good luck! :)